Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal (2014)

by G. Willow Wilson (Writer), Adrian Alphona (Artist)

Other authors: Joe Caramanga (Letterer), Ian Herring (Color artist), Jamie McKelvie (Cover artist (#2-5)), Phil Noto (Cover artist), Sarah Pichelli (Cover artist)2 more, Justin Ponsor (Cover artist), Matthew Wilson (Cover artist (#2-3, 5))

Series: Ms. Marvel (Vol.3, 1), Ms. Marvel Vol. 3 (2014-2015) (1-5)

"Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City - until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, New York!"--… (more)

English (124)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (127)
I'm not sure how I feel about this comic. I very much like some of the artwork, it looks akin to Bill Sinkewicz at times. However, some of the writing: Having the heroine morph into the white blonde Captain Marvel at the beginning -- and be successfully heroic -- and then having her stop doing that and then struggling to be heroic I think has a different interpretation than perhaps was intended. I don't think they should have had that morphing happen *at all* and should have started with the struggle to be heroic at the outset. Also, I think some of the writing uses too much the surface culture and doesn't utilize some of the deep culture. I think it's been "washed." However, having said that, it is at least a start. I also have to admit that I am not at all familiar with the figure of Captain Marvel. ( )
  AmyMacEvilly | Oct 24, 2021 |
This was really good! I had read the first two issues in this volume previously but this is the first time I had read this whole volume all the way through. I love the character of Kamala Khan and I love seeing her discover her powers. I always like superhero origin stories and this is a very good one. I like seeing Kamala interact with her family and friends and try to discover her place in the world. You can see how she wants to both be her own person but at the same time, she wants to make her family proud of her. Great comic and I loved reading it. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
***sunday 18 march 2018***
So I discovered this came out in 2014. Which is why I didn't add it to goodreads. I wasn't about that life then.

What I can really appreciate is the no slut shaming by the main character. Yes, she doesn't like the outfit of captain Marvel, but it's because of practical reasons.

And I like the way she interacts with her parents. Yes she is 'rebellious' but her parents let her speak her mind. I know Muslim woman who hid parts of their life because it wouldn't be accepted by their parents. And they thought the same thing as Kamala. They just couldn't talk about it. Ever.

Still... something feels... very white European-American-ish. Like how talk about Muslim woman who talk about stuff with their parents, as if that is a fact for everyone. Second hand information. That's what I mean.

***NOTE TO MYSELF BEFORE RE-READING***
sunday 18 march 2018
I've actually read this... I think in 1017? When it came out? I do remember being happy with an Muslim superhero. But I had troubles with some of the little details. As in, would Muslims make those kind of statements? Or would they, just know them. And are they put in there because the majority of readers, (big assumption on my part) aka non-Muslims, wouldn't know what was talked about?

Also... I think I had doubts if someone who was actually a Muslim worked on this comic?

My memory is utterly shit. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Funny and brilliant. I felt it brilliantly captured the awkwardness and strangeness of suddenly getting superpowers. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
Kamala Khan is a typical teenager--well, as much as there can be any such thing as a "typical teenager". But when she finds herself coming into some awesome (and also a bit frightening) new powers, her entire world is about to change. She quickly learns, however, that the phrase--taken right from the Marvel universe in which she lives--"With great power comes great responsibility" is profoundly true. Can she handle the moniker of Ms. Marvel and everything that comes with it? Is Kamala ready to lead a double life? And what of the dangers that are inevitable when one becomes a superhero? All questions for which no typical teenager has ready answers.

I picked this up as part of my reading for Hugo voting this year since it was nominated (and subsequently won the award). I don't generally read many graphic novels, which is somewhat surprising considering that I was a major comics fan and collector during my teen years. I think it's just a matter of keeping up with it all and that I keep myself busy enough with the novels and short stories that are on my list. But I do always enjoy reading the graphic stories that are nominated for the Hugos, as that ensures I get in at least a few each year.

It is no surprise to me why this was nominated and selected for the Hugo. Not only is the artwork phenomenal, but it is an excellent origin story and was one that I found very engaging. Although Marvel may downplay and erase the roles of women superheros in their films, I'm glad to see that at least their not being left of the page of their print works. Now if only we could get something like this translated to screen. I'd watch a Ms. Marvel cartoon or movie--and I think there are many others in the same boat.

But really, if you're like me and don't read many graphic novels but you're going to read one this year: this should be it. You won't be disappointed. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |

Noto, PhilCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pichelli, SarahCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ponsor, JustinCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MatthewCover artist (#2-3, 5)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I just want to smell it.
Delicious, delicious infidel meat.....
Collects Ms. Marvel (2014) #1-5 and material from All-New Marvel Now! Point One #1, written by G. Willow Wilson and illustrated by Adrian Alphona.

Kamala Khan é uma garota comum de New Jersey — até que subitamente ganha dons extraordinários. Mas quem é realmente a nova Miss Marvel? Adolescente? Muçulmana? Inumana? Saiba a resposta conforme ela toma de assalto o Universo Marvel! Ao descobrir os perigos associados aos seus recém-descobertos poderes, Kamala precisa lidar também com o segredo que existe por trás deles. Estará a mais nova heroína do pedaço pronta para utilizar seus imensos dons? Ou o peso do legado que tem a carregar será mais do que ela pode aguentar? Nem a própria Kamala sabe ao certo, mas New Jersey que se prepare, pois a Miss Marvel chegou para ficar!

Escrito pela aclamada roteirista G. Willow Wilson (Air, Cairo), com desenhos do brilhante Adrian Alphona (Fugitivos)!

Este volume reúne as edições 1 a 5 de Ms. Marvel e uma história retirada de All-New Marvel Now! Point One 1.

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,436,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible