Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit

Men Explain Things to Me (2014)

by Rebecca Solnit

English (48)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
Smart and deeply interesting. ( )
  deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |
Seven short essays that demand attention and reward it. I'm just a bloke, but I hope I'm smart enough to understand that rape culture is real and that mansplaining is part of something bigger and more pernicious than just being a dick to people. ( )
1 vote asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Funny, heartbreaking, and real, this is an excellent read for any woman in the 21st century. The only thing that keeps it from a full five stars for me is the lack of intersectionality, but I appreciate it for what it is -- a humorous look at the emotional labor of being a white working woman today. ( )
  dianawr | Nov 29, 2018 |
This is an important book that makes you think about how far we have come in the quest for women's equality, and how far we still have to go. The first two essays about the silencing of and violence against women are particularly powerful and thought-provoking.

My favorite ideas were the ones I have never thought of, however. The first was about marriage equality - how that same-sex couples have by default equality in their partnerships, no traditional gender roles assigned - and how this quality is what conservatives are truly afraid of. While no one's marriage is affected by who else is married, the challenge to the inequality of traditional marriages is clear.

The other idea was that once something is out of Pandora's box, it does not go back. We might get setbacks in progress, but we will never go back to thinking that women should have no reproductive rights, or that wife beating is okay. This is particularly important to remember in the Trump era - we might lose some battles, but it will be temporary. You can't stop progress.

Some of the essays are less successful. I felt that her piece about the IMF was forced and overly simplistic. Her equating poor nations to women and the IMF to men was awkward and misleading; her summarily dismissing free trade as bad echoes Trump. Free trade is only bad between unequal partners.

Overall this is one of the fundamental readings in contemporary feminism; thought-provoking, but sometimes just provoking and lacking in solutions.

Note on the audio: narrator Luci Christian Bell's voice and perky style is completely unsuited to this book. It was a distraction. I recommend reading it instead. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Solnit is quickly becoming one of my top auto-buy authors.

Her writing is honest and cuts write to the heart of the matter. She doesn't pull any punches when it comes to making her point but she takes the time to walk you through her logic and the ideas that are being discussed.

I loved all of the essays in this collection and each one I read I had that moment where you just want to stand up wherever you are and yell "YES! - THIS! ALL OF THIS!" ( )
  LiteraryDream | Sep 30, 2018 |
For the grandmothers, the levelers, the dreamers, the men who get it, the young women who keep going, the older ones who opened the way, the conversations that don't end, and a world that will let Ella Nachimovitz (born January 2014) bloom to her fullest
I still don't know why Sallie and I bothered to go to that party in the forest slope above Aspen.
The difference between these online gamers and the Taliban men who, last October, tried to murder fourteen-year-old Malala Yousafzai for speaking out about the right of Pakistani women to education is one of degree. Both are trying to silence and punish women for claiming voice, power, and the right to participate. Welcome to Manistan. "The Longest War"
Kindness and gentleness never had a gender, and neither did empathy. "The Longest War"
Every woman who appears wrestles with the forces that would have her disappear. She struggles with the forces that would tell her story for her, or write her out of the story, the genealogy, the rights of man, the rule of law. The ability to tell your own story, in words or images, is already a victory, already a revolt. "Grandmother Spider"
It's the job of writers and explorers to see more, to travel light when it comes to preconception, to go into the dark with their eyes open. "Woolf's Darkness"
To me, the grounds for hope are simply that we don't know what will happen next, and that the unlikely and the unimaginable transpire quite regularly. "Woolf's Darkness"
Erweiterte Neuausgabe mit 2 neuen und bislang unveröffentlichten Essays

In her comic, scathing essay "Men Explain Things to Me," Rebecca Solnit took on what often goes wrong in conversations between men and women. She wrote about men who wrongly assume they know things and wrongly assume women don't, about why this arises, and how this aspect of the gender wars works, airing some of her own hilariously awful encounters. She ends on a serious note: the ultimate problem is the silencing of women who have something to say, including those saying things like, "He's trying to kill me!" This book features that now-classic essay with six complements, including an examination of the great feminist writer Virginia Woolf 's embrace of mystery, of not knowing, of doubt and ambiguity, a highly original inquiry into marriage equality, and a terrifying survey of the scope of contemporary violence against women. [WorldCat]

In her comic, scathing essay "Men Explain Things to Me," Rebecca Solnit took on what often goes wrong in conversations between men and women. She wrote about men who wrongly assume they know things and wrongly assume women don't, about why this arises, and how this aspect of the gender wars works, airing some of her own hilariously awful encounters. She ends on a serious note-- because the ultimate problem is the silencing of women who have something to say, including those saying things like, "He's trying to kill me!" This updated edition of the book features that now-classic essay with others, including an examination of the great feminist writer Virginia Woolf 's embrace of mystery, of not knowing, of doubt and ambiguity, a highly original inquiry into marriage equality, and a terrifying survey of the scope of contemporary violence against women, Solnit's recent essay on the remarkable feminist conversation that arose in the wake of the 2014 Isla Vista killings.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible