Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxane Gay

Bad Feminist: Essays (2014)

by Roxane Gay

1,717826,329 (3.91)2 / 191

Nothing new on this book, Gay just rehashes all the same topics and opinion that you can find over tumblr or feminist websites withouth much searching.

She talks a lot about pop culture but says nothing interesting in the end, doesn't reach particular conclusions or even does serious soulsearch.

It's a basic book, too simplistic, too old news, and Gay isn't particularly engaging neither, some of her opinions demonstrate a lack of self-awareness, she's also guides herself more on her emotions than logical thinking.

I didn't learn anything, it didn't make me think, it was a waste of time. ( )
  Rose999 | Jun 28, 2019 |
Roxane Gay makes the case for being a feminist whether you can be a good feminist even in to your own standards, by repeatedly demonstrating her very human very feminist views on our culture and her own life. We can be conflicted, we can be attracted to any number of patriarchal figments of our culture without relinquishing our feminist credentials. So we should understand our limitations as feminists but not give up our stance as feminists. I like her voice and look forward to hearing more of it. ( )
  quondame | May 29, 2019 |
This should be required reading. So, so, so good. ( )
  liannecollins | Apr 18, 2019 |
I want to be very clear here. Much of the content of these essays was important and worth reading, although none of it was particularly eye-opening or groundbreaking. My problems with this collection rest solely with the prose style, which was so much about the author that it, at times, over-powered and undermined the value of an individual chapter. If the project had been sold as a memoir, then, perhaps, this would have been forgivable, but there were too many critical essays and reviews here that suffered from way too much "me". I am not denigrating in any way the validity of the author's experiences, only her ability to present them in a way that even attempts to universalize them. I am super-aware that any criticism I make may be unreasonably gendered or faintly racist, but given the sheer number of opportunities that the author takes to tell us about her PhD and faculty tenure, I feel fine is saying that this was some of the weakest non-fiction writing I have read.

On a side note, the edition I have from Corsair in its 14th printing contained some of the most egregious typos I have ever encountered in a professionally published work. Simply shocking. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Thoughtful, entertaining, and bingeable essays. My only beef is that a few of them scatter in lots of different directions and then just sort of...end. Still, highly recommended. There's a great variety and lots of the essays resonated with me deeply or made me consider issues in a new way. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |

Roxane Gayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bilardello, RobinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manchikanti, SunilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
The world changes faster than we can fathom in ways that are complicated.
Don't flirt, have sex, or engage in emotional affairs with your friends' significant others. This shouldn't need to be said, but it needs to be said. That significant other is an asshole, and you don't want to be involved with an asshole who's used goods. If you want to be with an asshole, get a fresh asshole of your very own. They are abundant. — From "How to Be Friends With Another Woman"

A collection of essays spanning politics, criticism, and feminism from one of the most-watched young cultural observers of her generation, Roxane Gay. "Pink is my favorite color. I used to say my favorite color was black to be cool, but it is pink, all shades of pink. If I have an accessory, it is probably pink. I read Vogue, and I'm not doing it ironically, though it might seem that way. I once live-tweeted the September issue." In these funny and insightful essays, Roxane Gay takes us through the journey of her evolution as a woman (Sweet Valley High) of color (The Help) while also taking readers on a ride through culture of the last few years (Girls, Django in Chains) and commenting on the state of feminism today (abortion, Chris Brown). The portrait that emerges is not only one of an incredibly insightful woman continually growing to understand herself and our society, but also one of our culture. Bad Feminist is a sharp, funny, and spot-on look at the ways in which the culture we consume becomes who we are, and an inspiring call-to-arms of all the ways we still need to do better.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,413,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible