dismiss

Once Upon a Billionaire

by Jessica Clare

As a member of the royal family in a small European country, Griffin Verdi's presence is requested at the wedding of the century. The scholarly billionaire feels out of his depth in social situations, so a good assistant is required, especially when dealing with royal etiquette. Unfortunately for Griffin, he's stuck with Maylee Meriweather, a pretty, charming, and thoroughly unsuitable woman who doesn't know a thing about high society, but she sure can kiss.… (more)

Sigh...this was just really cute. I've been really impressed by Clare's entire Billionaire Boys Club series. They're really fun, they don't take themselves too seriously, there's a nice amount of steam, and the characters are real - definitely flawed, and perfectly imperfect.

In this addition to the series, we are faced with snobbish Griffin, a modern day Viscount, who's really only been portrayed as a pompous ass in the other books. When his longtime assistant winds up with Chicken Pox on the eve of his royal cousin's wedding, Griffin has no choice but to ask his friend Hunter for help. Hunter's assistant Maylee, is hopeless but earnest. We've met her briefly before and she was definitely memorable. She's a hard worker but, having grown up in the backwoods of Arkansas, she doesn't know anything about city life - and more importantly, she doesn't know anything about Royal life. But Griffin is desperate and...well, at least she can tie a tie, which is more than can be said for him. He takes her along to his home country, which I'm pretty sure is made up, but sounds magical. Once there, Maylee has to keep up with Griffin's demanding schedule, deal with members of the royal family, and put up with grumpy Griffin himself, who is determined to change her into what he sees as the perfect assistant. There are a few misadventures, and as is to be expected, the two grow closer together over time. And soon it is Maylee who is changing Griffin - again, nothing surprising there.

If you are in the mood for a bit of cheese, a nice, safe and predictable story, and are given to swoon-worthy moments, then read this sweet book. It made me happy, and I think - if you're into that sort of thing - if will make you happy too. ( )
  ReneeML | Oct 17, 2019 |
I liked it, but only half of it. Griffin proved to be a major dick through the first part of the book and Maylee proved that she had no backbone whatsoever. Then, there was this huge character development, that felt a little like jumping the shark to me, and Griffin became this great guy and Maylee turned out to be someone who wasn't afraid of speaking up. The ending and the epilogue were both ultra sweet. ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
Ugh. If I had known this book was going to be about Griffin and MAYLEE I would have taken a pass. This is what I get for not reading the descriptions of series books.

But seriously.

PREPARE FOR CAPS.

1 - Gretchen, when did you become such an asshole? It must have been sometime between book two and now, because I don't think the Gretchen in book two would have maliciously thrown poor Maylee to the proverbial wolves like that. Sending her into a situation where she knew that Griffin and everyone else that she was going to meet at a ROYAL WEDDING were going to treat her like an idiot was not cool.

2 - And Hunter, you're not getting off the hook. Apparently you are a total limp rag when it comes to your newly bitchy girlfriend. Why would you intentionally put one of your CLOSEST and ONLY friends in such an uncomfortable situation where you knew he needed someone reliable and instead LIED to him and gave him someone you knew would bumble around and mess things up?

But let's move on to the actual star assholes of this book.

3 - Griffin, who has proved he has a stick up his ass, still did not deserve the treatment that he received from his "friend". BUT he also showed poor lack of judgement in letting an (inexplicable) stiffy and good tie tying skills woo him over to not kicking Maylee out immediately. Like, what in the hell was with his reaction to her? Nothing that's what. Pure, plot forced nothing.

4 - Dear god, Maylee. She is the biggest stereotype I've ever read (maybe), but who in the hell gets on a plane, has two alcoholic beverages AND THEN takes pills that say DO NOT TAKE WITH ALCOHOL YOU DUMBASS on it? TSTL people from the backwoods apparently. I wanted to like her but she was just so annoying to read, and I felt bad for the situation that she had been put in. Just so ICK.

So yeah, if I could sum up my brief experience with this book in a word, it would be AWFUL. I really was going to try to choke through it since it IS Jill Myles after all, but then I accidentally deleted it from my nook. Totally accidental, but I think my subconscious was controlling my movements at the time, because I do not regret it, and I am not putting it back on there.

Calling this one as DOA and moving on. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
4.5/5
Oh my stars, for me this was the most hilarious fairy-talish and outlandish romance Jessica Clare managed to come up with so far, and I enjoyed it immensely! *grinning* If you want a Cinderella story, look no further, and you find a kind, naive Southern belle paired with a snotty European royal who has absolutely no social skills. Funny and outrageously entertaining. Recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Originally posted at The Bookaholic Cat

3 ½ Stars

Once Upon a Billionaire is the fourth book in the Billionaire Boys Club series by Jessica Clare.

Viscount Montagne Verdi known to his friends as Griffin is in a difficult situation. He needs to travel to his home country to attend his cousin’s wedding. The last thing Griffin wants is to attend a Royal wedding, but he can’t say no to family. The problem is not the wedding, the problem is his assistant has chicken pox and can’t travel with him. Griffin doesn’t know how to do anything, he doesn’t even know how to tie his tie, he is used to be serve and needs a replacement assistant for this trip. When Gretchen (Beauty and the Billionaire, second book) learns of this she offers him her boyfriend’s (Hunter) assistant, Maylee. Without any other option he accepts Gretchen offering not knowing that she didn’t do it to help him, but to ruffle his feathers. Griffin is a snobby sophisticated aristocrat and Maylee although sweet is a redneck through and through.
Griffin doesn’t meet Maylee until they are on the plane and as soon as he sees her he knows she is the wrong person for the job, he needed somebody sophisticated and with knowledge of etiquette and Maylee obviously is not that person. Without any other option he decides to give her an opportunity, but is planning to send her back home at her first fault.
Maylee is very excited about the opportunity; when she left her small town in Arkansas for New York she never thought she will have an opportunity to see the world and to get paid for it is more than she could have ever dreamed, but her happiness comes crashing after meeting Griffin and realizing what he thinks of her. She knows she is not sophisticated but she is hard worker and knows how to do her job and with that in mind she is ready to do her best so he won’t send her back.
Maylee confuses Griffin profoundly, she is everything he frowns upon a woman, but still he can’t help but feel attracted to her and she’s the completely wrong woman for him.
Maylee is a lost with Griffin; he’s one person when they are alone and a completely different one when they are in public. His behavior bewilders her because she doesn’t know where she stands with him.

I have mixed feelings about this book; it started as a very funny book and soon after it slowed down, still I can honestly say I enjoyed reading it.

I liked Maylee but at times I felt as if I was reading two different Maylees. The Maylee from the beginning of the book and the Maylee after the halfway mark. The first Maylee couldn’t be more unpolished or couldn’t lack more of finesse. The second Maylee suddenly changed her way of talking and her behavior, she went from a backwoods country girl to a city girl in a flash of the eyes. The why, when and how of this transformation was so sudden that it was a bit unbelievable. Despite that I liked her, I liked her big heart and her inner-strength.

Griffin is a very complicated character; his Royal upbringing has cemented on him certain trails that are difficult to digest for us commoners LOL, to add to that he’s socially inept and almost everything that comes out of his mouth is the wrong thing to say. If we are able to overlook his faults he is a sweet and caring man who doesn’t know how to express his feelings. Griffin needed a generous woman with a big heart to get him out of his shell and that’s exactly what Maylee is.

The romance is sweet and hot, but it suffers a bit of insta-love. Still it was fun to watch them together.

In this installment he also see the couples from previous books, we see where they are in their lives and what is new with them. we also get an idea about the protagonists for next book.

Once Upon a Billionaire is a fun, sweet, romantic and well-written book and a good addition to a highly entertaining series. Even though it was not my favorite in the series, that place still belongs to Beauty and the Billionaire, Once Upon a Billionaire is book I recommend to contemporary romance fans or to anyone who want to read a fun, cute book with a touch of Cinderella in it.

Next book in the series is Romancing the Billionaire will be release on November 4th and it will be Jonathan’s book. I’m looking forward to see what Mrs. Clare has in store for him.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,873,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible