Night Shift (Anthology 4-in-1) (2014)

by Nalini Singh (Contributor)

Other authors: Ilona Andrews (Contributor), Lisa Shearin (Contributor), Milla Vane (Contributor)

Series: SPI Files (Novella "Lucky Charms"), Kate Daniels (magic steals), Psy-Changeling (Secrets at Midnight (12.5))

New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh delivers a smoldering story with Secrets at Midnight, as the scent of Bastien Smith's elusive lover ignites a possessiveness in him that's as feral as it is ecstatic. And now that he's found his mate, he'll do anything to keep her.-From publisher. In New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews' novella, Magic Steals, when people start going missing, shapeshifting tigress Dali Harimau and jaguar shifter Jim Shrapshire must uncover the truth about the mysterious creatures responsible.-From publisher. From Milla Vane--a warrior princess must tame The Beast of Blackmoor to earn a place among her people. But she quickly discovers that the beast isn't a monster, but a barbarian warrior who intends to do some taming himself.-From publisher. It's seer Makenna Frazier's first day on the job at Supernatural Protection and Investigations, and her first assignment is more than she bargained for when bodyguard duty for a leprechaun prince's bachelor party goes every which way but right in national bestselling author Lisa Shearin's Lucky Charms.-From Publisher.… (more)

~ 5 Night Shift Stars ~

I picked up Night Shift to read Nalini Singh and Ilona Andrews stories. I love these two authors. Their writing, character and world-building are fantastic. I loved the first two novellas, Secrets At Midnight and Magic Steals. Lisa Shearin and Milla Vane are new to me authors. I was not sure what to expect from them. I liked their novellas, Lucky Charms and The Beast of Blackmoor.

Individual reviews below on each novella!

~ 5 Secrets At Midnight Stars ~

Loved It!

We are taken back into the Psy-Changeling world in Secrets At Midnight by [a:Nalini Singh|71688|Nalini Singh|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1423312512p2/71688.jpg]. I was pulled in from the moment it starts to the very end. I love this world and can never get enough. Bastien is a leopard changeling, so we get to see some of our old friends. He is intelligent, witty, and a little wicked. Loved him. Kirby is human or is she? She has not had a great life so far, but things are about to get interesting. The relationship development and growth is lovely and to see Kirby finally learn what love means, heartwarming.

You don’t have to have read any of the Psy-Changeling books to pick this up. Secrets At Midnight gives you a nice taste into the world of the Changelings and what it means to find a mate. I highly recommend picking up Nalini Singh’s books.

~ 5 Magic Steals Stars ~

Loved It!

We are taken back into the Kate Daniels world with Jim and Dali. This is Dali POV. If you have not read [b:Magic Dreams|13627865|Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels, #4.5)|Ilona Andrews|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1397416627s/13627865.jpg|19233926] (Kate Daniels #4.5) you might be a little lost on the relationship between these two since they hook up in Magic Dreams.

We get to see Jim and Dali dating and Dali’s fears that she is not powerful, aggressive or sexy enough of a women shifter to be an equal to Jim. Jim shows Dali that she is everything he needs and that them becoming mates will not hinder him, but make him more.

I loved following these two around as Dali does her magic thing again. She is one special white tiger. Jim I love him. He see’s Dali as so much more then the skinny vegetarian who wears glasses. This was a fun read and I always love diving back into the Kate Daniels world. The writing team of [a:Ilona Andrews|21748|Ilona Andrews|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1219436898p2/21748.jpg] are just Fabulous. If you have not picked up this series it’s a must!

~ 4 Lucky Charms Stars ~

Liked It!

So I’m not sure if this is part of a series. It felt like a prequel to one. I plan on checking out more of [a:Lisa Shearin|336058|Lisa Shearin|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1386014550p2/336058.jpg] and if this is a series I’ll be adding it to my TBR.

We get an interesting world and developments. I enjoyed the world building. We get a verity of supernatural creatures in all shapes, sizes, myths, and legends. A nice mix. The characters are enjoyable and we are set up with a nice cast. Makenna Fraser is our heroine, who works for the Supernatural Protection and Investigations, which they battle the bad guys of the supernatural world. She has a unique gift for being a human.

Lucky Charms, charmed me and I’m interested in reading more.

~ 3.5 The Beast Of Blackmoore Stars ~

Good read!

This is a new to me author and The Beast Of Blackmoore was an ok read. We have a warrior princess on a quest and a man with no hope who has been forsaken by the Gods. The warrior princess has faith in her goddess, but that does not make the quest easier. The Beast is an horrible man who fighting for his people even when he has lost everything. I had a ruff start getting into the world, but the more I read the better and more interesting things became. The ended was well done.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
I admit that I bought the Night Shift anthology for Ilona's story. I love those secondary characters and couldn't wait to see what she did with them. I can honestly say the story made me swoon. It was perfect in every way. I'd never read any books by Lisa, so that was a nice treat. Milla's story was very dark, touching on some horrific elements, BUT I still liked it. I liked that it was different. I liked that she went there, if you know what I mean. Nalini is always fun, so it was an easy purchase for me. I plan to also buy it in paperback, so Ilona's story can join my keeper shelf with the rest of her work. ( )
  JordanSummers | Mar 31, 2020 |
I was only familiar with half the writers in this collection. The Sighn story is set in her Psy-Changeling universe and this is more of a romance with a touch of mystery but doesn’t do anything to the overall story arc. Bastien scents a changeling in the city that he knows will be his mate and has trouble tracking it since it is so faint. Saying much more will give away the plot but it is a nice HEA story. The Andrew’s story is set in the Kate Daniels universe but doesn’t deal with Kate or Curran. This is set during the time frame of Magic Rises but deals with Jim and Dali. I liked the more info in Dali’s magic use and again this is a bit of a mystery with a HEA. The other two writers were new to me. Shearin’s story seems to be a bit of a backstory piece to her current series. Lots of our heroine floundering around at her first day of work and being tossed into the deep end of the pool. It was ok but not sure if I would bother to read any more in the series. The last story by Vane just rubbed me the wrong way. Looks like this is a pen name for another writer that I haven’t read but it seems the story is a stand alone. This was a high fantasy setting completely different than the urban fantasy feel of the other three stories. If it was me doing the collection I don’t think I would have added it since the setting was so different than the rest of them. The first two stories have were creatures in it so you get the shift in the title. The third story has a werewolf but not as the main character. The fourth story doesn’t have any shape shifters in it. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this collection - any time spent in the Psy-Changeling world or the Kate Daniels world is time blissfully and well spent. I didn't expect much from the other two stories by Shearin and Vane, but Shearin's was a wonderful surprise - funny, exciting and sexy! I promptly added the first book from her SPI series to my TBR. ( )
  Mrs.Soule | Nov 25, 2019 |
My favorite was Dali & Jim, but loved the others also ( )
  Colette_Miranda | Jul 29, 2019 |

Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauro, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Kate Daniels (magic steals)
Psy-Changeling (Secrets at Midnight (12.5))
SPI Files (Novella "Lucky Charms")

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,369,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible