The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman

The Sleeper and the Spindle (2014)

by Neil Gaiman, Chris Riddell (Illustrator)

On the eve of her wedding, a young queen sets out to rescue a princess from an enchantment. She casts aside her fine wedding clothes, takes her chain mail and her sword, and follows her brave dwarf retainers into the tunnels under the mountain towards the sleeping kingdom. This queen will decide her own future -- and the princess who needs rescuing is not quite what she seems.… (more)

English (87)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (89)
I realized while reading the book that I had already read it before - probably as a short story somewhere - and I remembered it quite differently. I enjoyed it, especially the art, though I found the ending a bit lacking, especially compared to what I thought it would be. ( )
  Dreklogar | Jan 13, 2020 |
This is as near perfect as I can imagine a short story to be. I listened to it as a cast recording, with Julian Rhind-Tutt as the main narator and it was a superbly entertaining experience. I only picked it up as I was looking for something to occupy me for 1 commute, so that I can finish a book on my last work commute before Christmas. At just over an hour, this fitted the bill.
It is a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale, with a side order of Snow White thrown in for good measure. Although one of the quirks of this wirk is that no-one is named. it is the short drawrf, the first dwarf, the queen and so on. It leaves space for the imagination and allows the listener to make the connections. It is set in a fairytale land, with a tall but narrow chain of mountains acting as a border between two kingdoms. We start the story with the queen of one country on the verge of marriage (and not entirely convinced about what this holds in store for her). The dwarves travel through the mountains to trade for a wedding gift for the queen and discover something that needs to be reported - the neighbouring kingdom is falling asleep. And so the Queen and 3 dwarves set out to find out what is going on and do something about it.
I love the way Gaiman uses the fairy tale we know but twists it, the roles of the sleeping beauty and the old crone who is the only person left awake is a genuine surprise that I simply did not see coming.
It's not very long, but it manages to pack in so much that is familiar and yet manages to do something genuinely original with it. Just brilliant. ( )
  Helenliz | Dec 12, 2019 |
A very interesting reimagining of two classic tales: Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. It ties together the obvious similarities of the two tales seamlessly and is well done, though the climax is rather short and uneventful. Overall, it was an engaging and intriguing short story that I really enjoyed. The illustrations by Chris Riddell are very well done and integrated with the text very well. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
In this twisted fairy-tale, Neil Gaiman takes on the story of Sleeping Beauty. In true Gaiman fashion, it is dark, much like the original, but told with a nod to the more progressive views of the modern day. If you imagine the story being read in Gaiman's voice, you'll enjoy it even more. ( )
  kristennicoson | Dec 7, 2019 |
Quick fun read.
I like fairy tale retellings. ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Riddell, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Holly and Maddy, my daughters who woke me up N.G.
For my daughter Katy, on the beginning of her quest C.R.
It was the closest kingdom to the queen's, as the crow flies, but not even the crows flew it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,502,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible