The Fortune of War by Patrick O'Brian

The Fortune of War (1979)

by Patrick O'Brian

Series: Aubrey-Maturin (6)

English (28)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
Review later ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
In which Maturin and Aubrey become prisoners of war of the newly formed United States, both are suspected of being spies, and Diana Villers is back. Daring escapes! Love affairs! Cold blooded murders! And of course, exciting ship battles!

It's a bit odd to see the early US from a British POV, especially since so many of the American characters seem to think they're British. Aubrey and Maturin are in fine form once more--their banter is top notch, and I love the little moments where the reader can see how one sees the other. We also get reintroduced to Haropath (the ancient Chinese scholar) and his unrequited love, Mrs. Wogan (espionage badass, neglectful mother, and delightful conversationalist). And while we get deep in Maturin's head while he ruminates on his need for his diary andd an enduring love to combat his crippling depression, the reader also gets more insight into Aubrey. Aubrey isn't in command for this book, being mostly a guest or a prisoner of war throughout, and he's physically weaker than ever before as well.

We're also reminded of how awesome Diana Villers can be. Possibly she gets badass scenes because O'Brian wanted her to seem worthy of Maturin, possibly O'Brian just likes her as much as I do. She's the kind of character who walks past the bloody corpses of former friends to get her jewels; who refuses to translate documents for her protector because she has too much loyalty toward the country of her former citizenship; who shoots rats in the dark hold of a ship while waiting to see if she'll be hanged. For all that this series is purportedly about Napoleonic naval battles, the characterization in it is top-notch.

And the battles! O'Brian whips the tension up until I was so stressed whilst listening to the last battle that I actually had to stop the recording and catch my breath. Tull does a fantastic job reading this, btw--I've complained about his reading style before, but he's much better in this. The long pauses between sentences and even words, the artificially drawled last syllables, the long sighs in the midst of words--none are here! Frabjous day.

One of the best Maturin&Aubrey books yet. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This was another good book in the Aubrey-Maturin series. I never get tired of the quality of the author's writing, or with the tales of derring-do. ( )
  oparaxenos | Nov 27, 2015 |
The Fortune of War picks up only a few days after where Desolation Island had ended, affirming my impession that by now we’re dealing with an ongoing single novel rather than a series of stringed-together separate novels.Which would make this the sixth chapter in O’Brian’s massive novel The Naval Adventures of Jack Aubrey & Stephen Maturin (a terminology I am going to stick with from now on. Probably.)

What is interesting about this volume in particular is how just when O’Brian seems to have settled down in a comfortable routine and has the novel chuffing along nicely he starts to mess with stuff and play around with his own formula (some slight spoiler in what is following are unfortunately unavoidable). The Fortune of War has a basic structure similar to HMS Surprise, i.e. we get a quiet stretch in the middle sandwiched between two action pieces of naval battle at the beginning and at the end of this chapter, all of it told with O’Brian’s customary verve and brio that keeps even those passages where nothing much is happening lively and interesting.

Against this foil of the familiar, then, the ways The Fortune of War deviates from business as usual contrast all the sharper – the most surprising to me at least being that Jack does not command a ship during the whole of this chapter, and that it are other Captains who fight the sea battles while he is just an onlooker or a minor participant. In fact he is unusually passive during all the events depicted here and we’re getting the unusual situation where Steve exercises considerably more agency than Jack does. This, after five chapters where things have been the other way round, gives a slightly off-kilter feeling to The Fortune of War, of things being just faintly out of balance and not in proper focus. It also expands the canvas of O’Brian’s novel even more, by showing as a different perspective on a naval battle than the command deck or the surgeon’s cabin. In short, The Naval Adventures of Jack Aubrey & Stephen Maturin continue to delight, and even manage to spring the occasional surprise on the reader. I’m still wondering whether O’Brian will manage to keep this up over the remaining fourteen chapters, but I’m very eager to find out.
1 vote Larou | Jun 22, 2015 |
Very good examples of backstory covered naturally and all kept interesting despite a sea battle being a sea battle in 22 books. Excellent series.
Shira
James-MEOW Date: Sunday, July 8. 12014 H.E. (Holocene Era) ( )
  MEOWDate | Jul 15, 2014 |

Waldegrave, WilliamContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
For Mary, with love.
When history and fiction intertwine, the reader may well like to know how far the recorded facts have suffered from the embrace.

Author's note.
The warm monsoon blew gently from the east, wafting HMS Leopard into the bay of Pulo Batang.

Chapter one.
It is with a certain reluctance that I write about myself, in the first place because such an exercise is very rarely successful, and even when it is, the man does not often coincide with his books, which, if the Platonic 'not who but what' is to be accepted, are the only legitimate objects of curiosity.

Black, Choleric & Married?, by Patrick O'Brian.
'Wallis,' said Maturin, 'I am happy to see you. How is your penis?'
Two weevils crept from the crumbs. 'You see those weevils, Stephen?' said Jack solemnly.
'I do.'
'Which would you choose?'
'There is not a scrap of difference. Arcades ambo. They are the same species of curculio, and there is nothing to choose between them.'
'But suppose you had to choose?'
'Then I should choose the right-hand weevil; it has a perceptible advantage in both length and breadth.'
'There I have you,' cried Jack. 'You are bit -- you are completely dished. Don't you know that in the Navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevils? Oh ha, ha, ha, ha!' [43]
'Oh dear, oh dear,' said Mr Evans. 'I seem fated to move from one blunder to another today. I shall hold my tongue for what remains of it.'
'Where would conversation be, if we were not allowed to exchange our minds freely and to abuse our neighbours from time to time?' said Stephen. [124]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393308138, Paperback)

This time it's the War of 1812 that gets in the way of Captain Jack Aubery's plans. Caught en route to England in a dispatch vessel, Aubrey and Maturin are soon in the thick of a typically bloody naval engagement. Next stop: an American prison, from which only Maturin's cunning allows them to engineer an exit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:34 -0400)

Jack Aubrey, commander of the best-armed frigate in the Royal Navy, leaves the Dutch East Indies to return to England in a dispatch vessel, but the outbreak of the War of 1812 delays his journey and draws him into bloody battle.

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393308200, 0393308138, 0393037061

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible