And the Earth Did Not Devour Him by Tomas…

And the Earth Did Not Devour Him (1987)

by Tomas Rivera

306654,425 (3.93)1 / 47

This book, originally written in Spanish, describes in short vignettes the lives of Mexican American migrant workers in the '40's and '50's.

This is both thought provoking and horrific. There are so many awful incidents in this very short book: violent tragic deaths of childre and adults; workers, including children packed into a van so tightly they had to stand up for a several day trip to more northern fields; the constant abuse and harassment that the migrant children endured in local schools.

This book is eye opening and saddening. I am distressed to learn that current migrant workers face many of the same conditions.

Recommended especially for those interested in social justice issues.
1 vote streamsong | Apr 6, 2018 |
Quel libro!

...y no se le trago la tierra empieza con el cuento de un "ano perdido."

El narrador desconocido and otros migrantes Mexicanos dicen la historia
de amor, pobreza, familia, homicidios, y la perdida de espirito and confianza.
Sobre toda es el compasion para la laza.

Ahora, necesita una traducción nueva con mas poder y incluyendo todas
las palabras y frases. ( )
  m.belljackson | Mar 29, 2018 |
I read this book back in high school; it was a good read then and it's a good read now. And The Earth Did Not Devour Him is composed of fourteen short stories and thirteen vignettes. The accounts provide brief glimpses in the lives of Texan Mexican migrant farm workers and their families, during the 1950s. The book opens with "The Lost Year" the male protagonist tries to recall this lost year but can't seem to put it into words. The stories that follow are all fragmented memories of his forgotten time. These tales may be fiction but the harsh living conditions, deplorable working conditions, daily struggles and prejudice they encountered are not. Tomas Rivera did a wonderful job. Recommended. ( )
2 vote rebel_duck | Jan 20, 2017 |
Fourth or fifth time I've read this book, but strangely, the first time I read it entirely in English. It's a compact, dense portrait of migrant farmworkers in South Texas during the early 1950s, a classic of Mex-Am literature. Gets better with each reading. ( )
1 vote jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
...y no se lo trago la tierra.... by Tomas Rivera or in other words ...And the earth did not devour him... was excellent, but I'm not sure how to tell you what it was. It was about Mexican-American immigrants based in a small town in Texas, which I believe is somewhat similar to Rivera's own personal background. Write what you know. The marketers describe the book as a novel, but it isn't. It isn't short stories either or vignettes. I'd like to call it an extended prose poem, one that spans a lifetime. It reminds me a little of the work of Letter to an Imaginary Friend by Tom McGrath that I read in college as a poetry major. ( )
  cammykitty | Sep 20, 2015 |
Aquel año se le perdió.
That year was lost to him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155885083X, Paperback)

Tomás Rivera's original Spanish-language novel plus a new translation into English by Evangelina Vigil-Piñón. ...y no se lo tragó la tierra won the first national award for Chicano literature in 1970 and has become the standard literary text for Hispanic literature classes throughout the country. It is now an award-winning, motion picture entitled And the Earth Did Not Swaloow Him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:12 -0400)

Examines in English and Spanish the lives of migrant workers moving from south Texas up through the Plains, and the experiences of all ages and sexes.

Arte Público Press

2 editions of this book were published by Arte Público Press.

Editions: 155885083X, 1558851518

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,110,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible