The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch

The Hanging Tree

by Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Rivers of London (6), Peter Grant (6)

English (30)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
Still more Peter Grant, with character development and BOSS FIGHT and new practitioners and cool characters and snark and ♥ ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
This one is more a story about the magical world of London and England and allows for later expansion of the world, it turns out that there are a few schools of magic in the world. The adventure all starts with Lady Tyburn asking Peter for a favour and to keep the favour quiet, however Peter knows better than to try to hide things and tells everyone above him so that they can be prepared for it. An overdose. At a secure building with one of Lady Ty's daughters involved. One of the others involved is a magic user too and through this teen Peter finds out that there's another magic tradition and has to face up to the fact that there was a lot of sexism in his order.

It features some lesbian characters and a muslim fellow police person who wears a hijab and is slowly creeping towards being a member of the Folly. Peter is determined to bring the Folly into the 20th Century and seems to be determined to write up everything to help others. He believes in information and less secrecy but understands that some things people don't want to know and occasionally some information can kill or do more harm than ignorance.

I love this series and when I read I often have to share paragraphs with my husband, Peter has such a wry tone and cynical view, he feels like someone who has worked as a copper for long enough for some of his inocence worn off. He knows the system and knows how to use it. Other innocences are being worn away too. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 17, 2018 |
I don't know why I find these books so confusing. I mean I get the general story but I get so confused about the little things.

This book was much better than the last two but there was a lot going on that was sometimes hard to follow. And everything was connected and the Faceless Man owned everything. But the reveal of who he was was very underwhelming. I hope future books add some significance to who he is. And why he wants Leslie so badly.

This book was hard too because there were lots of references to the past books, I think especially book 1 and 3 but it's been years since I read those so how the heck am I supposed to remember. I wish series like this would have a summary in the beginning reminding you of all the important parts from the previous books. When it takes years for a new book in a series to be written and published, remembering back is just too much to ask. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
We waited largely in silence and stillness, except for a furious unvoiced argument about whose turn it was next to play Angry Birds on Caroline's phone, which only really ended when the phone in question buzzed and we got a text saying – You may alight whenever you feel ready.
'He took his time,' I said.
'Does this happen a lot?' said Caroline.
'Nope,' I said. Sometimes Beverley rescues me, sometimes Lady Ty, occasionally Molly - I think there's a rota.'

Tyburn asks Peter to return a favour he owes her when one of her children is caught up in a drug-related death, and the Folly gets closer to unmasking the true identity of the wizard known as the Faceless Man. Nightingale and Peter also come across representatives of another magical tradition that has been passed down from mother to daughter since the time of George II, so another 'arrangement' has to be agreed.

This is one of my favourite books in this series, maybe my overall favourite.
  isabelx | Jul 13, 2018 |
Maybe the best Peter Grant book so far? Witty, fast-paced and some exciting developments on the overarching main story. I really enjoyed it, can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blum, ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the streets our wheels slowly move;

The toll of the death bell dismays us.

With nosegays and gloves we are deck’d,

So trim and so gay they array us.

The passage all crowded we see

With maidens that move us with pity;

Our air all, admiring agree

Such lads are not left in the city.

Oh! Then to the tree I must go;

The judge he has ordered the sentence.

And then comes a gownsman you know,

And tells a dull tale of repentance.

By the gullet we’re ty’d very tight;

We beg all spectators, pray for us.

Our peepers are hid from the light,

The tumbril shoves off, and we morrice.
Tyburn ballad as transcribed by Francis Place
This book is dedicated to all librarians everywhere – for they are the true keepers of the secret flame and not to be trifled with.
I dreamt that I heard Mr Punch laughing gleefully by my ear, but when I woke I realised it was my phone.
And I thought I heard laughter echoing out of the city, but it might have just been the traffic.
Hyde Park Corner is what happens when a bunch of urban planners take one look at the grinding circle of gridlock that surrounds the Arc de Triumphe in Paris and think - that’s what we want for our town.

Suspicious deaths are not usually the concern of Police Constable Peter Grant or the Folly--London's police department for supernatural cases--even when they happen at an exclusive party in one of the flats of the most expensive apartment blocks in London. But the daughter of Lady Ty, influential goddess of the Tyburn river, was there, and Peter owes Lady Ty a favor. Plunged into the alien world of the super-rich, where the basements are bigger than the houses, where the law is something bought and sold on the open market, a sensible young copper would keep his head down and his nose clean. But this is Peter Grant we're talking about. He's been given an unparalleled opportunity to alienate old friends and create new enemies at the point where the world of magic and that of privilege intersect. Assuming he survives the week...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,155,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible