Me Being Me Is Exactly as Insane as You Being You

by Todd Hasak-Lowy

1204181,922 (3.07)None
Through a series of lists, a narrator reveals how fifteen-year old Darren's world was rocked by his parents' divorce just as his brother, Nate, was leaving for college, and a year later when his father comes out as gay, then how he begins to deal with it all after a stolen weekend with Nate and his crush, Zoey.… (more)

If there were a book that were to make me not got feelzie but actually sad, this would be it ( )
  WokeNerdWriter | Mar 27, 2018 |
This book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way.

I am not sure I have ever read such a tedious 600 + pages. This book is told entirely in lists. LISTS! And it is more than 600 pages. I am not sure why anyone ever thought this was a good idea. There is a story here – but what is it? Darren is fifteen and going through some major life changes as his parents reveal the real reason for their divorce, the girl of his dreams disappears from his life without a trace, and his brother has left him for college. You could call this a coming-of-age novel. I normally love those. Not this time.

The concept of the entire book told in lists seems interesting and novel to start with. You’re excited, this is new and different. I got through about fifty pages of this (because to start with, it’s super easy to read) and then I realised – I have to read another six hundred pages of this to get through. Suddenly it became a chore. Because some of the lists are completely useless and add nothing to the story at all. For example:

“7 Days Since Saturday, April 26, That Darren Hasn’t Thought about Zoey within the First Four Minutes of Waking Up, Not That He Understands What Was So Special about Those Days, When He Was Definitely Thinking About Her Before Breakfast Was Over Anyway
1. Thursday, May 22
2. Tuesday, June 17
3. Thursday, July 3
4. Monday, July 21
5. Sunday, July 27
6. Friday, August 8
7. Monday, August 25”

A completely unnecessary list, taking up a whole page, and what did it add to the story? Absolutely nothing! What a waste of paper. Waste of a tree! There were many more pages like this so, yeah I’ll admit, I started skimming.

Writing style aside, I felt even the story was bland. I didn’t even like or dislike any of the characters – all I felt was indifference. This story could not stir up any emotion for me – which is rare for me! But I couldn’t get invested, didn’t feel involved the way I do in a good story. For a coming-of-age story, I didn’t notice any change in Darren over the course of the novel. I did not understand his obsession with Zoey, with whom he had hardly exchanged any words with before she randomly follows his to … where did his brother live again? I can’t even remember. That is the impression this book left on me and if it had been written in regular prose as opposed to lists I don’t think I would remember it at all.
  crashmyparty | Jun 21, 2015 |
For older readers as it contains drug use, a lot of swearing and sex in various forms. Probably a year 11 to 12 book. Darren's parents have divorced six months earlier, his elder brother Nate is away at his first year in college, his best friend has moved away and then comes the bombshell....his father is gay. Confused and upset, Darien travels by bus to see Nate, accompanied by a very strange girl called Zoey. Zoey is covered in piercings and drawings ( not tattoos but Sharpie marker drawings ) and Darren is captured by her unique way of looking at the world. When they arrive at Nates' college they discover he is basically high on pot the whole time, failing every subject and sleeping with any girl he can. Darren and Zoey indulge in a similar pursuit of the above before his mother drags him home and Zoey is sent to a farm in the middle of the desert. Fast forward to Nate being kicked out of college, his dad's new boyfriend Ray, meeting with his dad's shrink, hooking up with a girl called Rachel at camp and his mother telling him she is going to move to California....oh and the worst birthday ever!
Phew! Enough about the plot; firstly the entire book is written in lists which works really well once you get used to the style. I liked how ALL the characters were deeply flawed as this made the book more realistic. I did not like Nate's constant dragging of his younger brother into his debauched life...it really grated on me. I understood the part about Rachel which added more pathos to the story but my major criticism was that the book was too long!! Ok we get that everyone around Darren is an idiot...you didn't have to keep going over and over and over it! That being said, kids will probably not care, so I would include it in my library for older readers. ( )
  nicsreads | Mar 29, 2015 |
A novel in lists is an exactly appropriate subtitle for this book. There's a note of cleverness and clarity to writing this way but it doesn't seem like a gimmick once you get the feel for it. ( )
  Brainannex | Sep 1, 2014 |
4 Conflicting Parts of Himself Darren Jacobs Attempts to Ignore as He Tries to Ask a Particular Eleventh-Grade Girl for a Really Big Favor on Friday, April 25, at 10:38 a.m.

Darren hasn’t had an easy year.
There was his parents’ divorce, which just so happened to come at the same time his older brother Nate left for college and his longtime best friend moved away. And of course there’s the whole not having a girlfriend thing.
Then one Thursday morning Darren’s dad shows up at his house at 6 a.m. with a glazed chocolate doughnut and a revelation that turns Darren’s world inside out. In full freakout mode, Darren, in a totally un-Darren move, ditches school to go visit Nate. Barely twenty-four hours at Nate’s school makes everything much better or much worse—Darren has no idea. It might somehow be both. All he knows for sure is that in addition to trying to figure out why none of his family members are who they used to be, he’s now obsessed with a strangely amazing girl who showed up out of nowhere but then totally disappeared.

Told entirely in lists.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,470,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible