Four Plays

by Eugène Ionesco

Other authors: Donald M. Allen (Translator)

The leading figure of absurdist theater and one of the great innovators of the modern stage, Eugène Ionesco (1909-94) did not write his first play, The Bald Soprano, until 1950. He went on to become an internationally renowned master of modern drama, famous for the comic proportions and bizarre effects that allow his work to be simultaneously hilarious, tragic, and profound. As Ionesco has said, "Theater is not literature. . . . It is simply what cannot be expressed by any other means.”… (more)
Modernism (130)

I'm not at a stage where I can understand even half of the meaning behind the madness in these plays. ( )
  Toshi_P | May 6, 2022 |
"The Bald Soprano" is pretty wonderful, but I truly hated "The Lesson." ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
The title play is the best (and funniest) in this collection, which is remarkable since it was Ionesco's first. Theater of the Absurd is best in small doses, were it not for the length and scope, "The Chairs" would have been better. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Dec 8, 2013 |
Absurdist theatre from one of the greatest masters. Ionesco treats us to the absurdity of human life with four plays that make almost no sense at all, and yet, at the same time, they do make sort of an absurd sense. The nonsensical use of words is reminiscent of Gertrude Stein; the use of strange characters in stranger situations of Samuel Beckett; the use of stark sets is worthy of the staunchest post-modernist, but the works are pure Ionesco, twisting as much absurdity as humanly possible into these four short plays. And in some cases, such as The Lesson, it is easy to believe he had a crystal ball, as some of the conversations were so eerily prescient; the attitude of the student toward mathematics and toward education in general is a picture-perfect portrayal of the millenial student. And I will read a long time before I find a line as sublime as "Philology leads to calamity". ( )
  Devil_llama | Jun 27, 2013 |
Absurd is not my style. I found this frustrating and irritating to read. If it wasn't an assignment, I wouldn't have gotten through ti. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |

Ionesco, EugèneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, Donald M.Translatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuhlman, RoyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Bald Soprano: Anti-play
Scene: A middle class English interior, with English armchairs.

The Bald Soprano; The Lesson; Jack or the Submission; The Chairs

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,319,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible