Dear Thief by Samantha Harvey

Dear Thief

by Samantha Harvey

Because of the way the novel is structured (as a letter to another character), the very fine writing only made me frustrated with the narrator. “You are a fabulous writer who exhibits a great deal of self-awareness,” I wanted to say, “so maybe get up and do something with your life instead of spending several months reliving the past?” (True enough, the protagonist says, “On the whole I do not think of you anymore,” but since a two-hundred page letter follows that declaration, it is difficult to believe.) It is perhaps a tribute to Harvey’s skill as a writer that the book evoked such strong feelings of exasperation in me; there were moment when I wanted to reach into the pages and shake some sense into the protagonist. And yet the book left me frustrated: is this the best use of Harvey’s talent? All those beautiful sentences in service of this story? ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Beautifully written! Both lush and spare, detached and intimate. "Dear Thief" has echoes of Anne Carson's "Beauty of the Husband" and Marguerite Duras' "The Lover." ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Unique, beautifully written epistolary story. I could barely catch my breath. If you are a fan of Marilynne Robinson, this is your next read. Extraordinary. ( )
  SonjaYoerg | Mar 6, 2017 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
The book takes the form of of a long letter written to out-of-touch old friend, and the backstory of their lives and relationship is gradually filled in. But this book is not so much about what happens as how it is told. The writing is lush in life, death and decay, reminding me most of all of the richness of a Peter Greenaway film. Perfect for lovers of great writing. ( )
  rrmmff2000 | May 25, 2016 |

amazon com You were going to work your way into my marriage and you were going to call its new three-way shape holy," writes the unnamed narrator of Dear Thief.

The thief is Nina, or Butterfly, who disappeared eighteen years earlier and who is being summoned by this letter, this bomb, these recollections, revisions, accusations, and confessions.

"Sometimes I imagine, out of sheer playfulness, that I am writing this as a kind of defence for having murdered and buried you under the patio."

Dear Thief is a letter to an old friend, a song, a jewel, and a continuously surprising triangular love story. Samantha Harvey writes with a dazzling blend of fury and beauty about the need for human connection and the brutal vulnerability that need exposes.

"While I write my spare hand might be doing anything for all you know; it might be driving a pin into your voodoo stomach."

Here is a rare novel that traverses the human heart in original and indelible ways.

Dear Thief is a letter to an old friend, a song, a jewel, and a continuously surprising triangular love story. Samantha Harvey writes with a dazzling blend of fury and beauty about the need for human connection and the brutal velnerability that need exposes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,675,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible