Scorpion Mountain (2014)

by John Flanagan

Hal, his Brotherband crew, and the Ranger Gilan have freed the twelve Araluens sold into slavery. Returning to Araluen, Gilan is given a new mission by King Duncan: protect his daughter's life. Princess Cassandra has survived one attempt on her life already, and now whispers of a second attempt have reached the kingdom. A deadly sect known as the Scorpion Cult is thought to be behind the assassination threat.… (more)

**spoiler alert** Not as exciting as the last few, but I did enjoy the solution for Ingvar; reminded me of my experience as a kid. This book got me just because I was familiar with the characters and the book moved quickly. I am looking forward to the set up with the crossover characters from the Ranger's Apprentice series. ( )
  GlenRH | Jul 26, 2021 |
4.5 stars. Hal and the Heron crew are serving a duty ship for Araluen. King Duncan asks them to join Ranger Gilan to avert an assassination assignment by the Scorpion Cult to kill Princess Cassandra. First, Thorn stops a deadly arrow on a hunt in Araluen, and then they head off to the deserts of Arrida, where they make base in an abandoned city. Hal keep Ingvar in the Brotherband with a creative invention, and then designs a land yacht to race through the desert. Filled with many skirmishes, we get to see our favorite characters continue to rely on each other, including Kloof, the horse-sized dog. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I enjoy this series so much. It's true that the plots are a bit predictable at this point. There's not a lot of story that flows from one book to the next. But I keep reading because of the characters. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Scorpion Mountain
Series: Brotherband Chronicles
Author: John Flanagan
Rating: of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: SFF
Pages: 465
Format: Kindle

Synopsis: Hal and crew are sent on a mission to stop a band of killers who have sworn an oath to kill Princess Cassandra. Said killers just happen to be living in the middle of the desert. Vikings in the desert. Seriously. My Thoughts: It is getting simply ridiculous just how many things Hal invents on the spot. In this book, it is glasses for the big guy who shoots the mangler. His feelings are hurt and so he wants to leave the Heron and Hal invents glasses so he can see and participate and feel better. Other than that, this was a carbon copy of all the other books. Especially in how the characters react and relate to each other. Flanagan obviously has a system that works for him but I think I'll need a good 6 months between books so as to not overdose on middle grade/ ya'ness of it all. And saying it is a carbon copy also means that the fighting and action are top notch. I do really enjoy the battles, on land and sea. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
John Flanagan is an amazing author and his stories are really cool. This one though wasn't up to it's usual standard. Ranger's Apprentice was exciting and funny and unpredictable. Then the Brotherband Chronicles came out and they started off as being really great as well. Hal is a very interesting character. He reminds me of Hiccup from the How To Train Your Dragon movies. He is an inventor and he's not quite as dedicated to his muscles as his tribesmen are. The first three books were interesting. Book four is where the story faltered and book five really wasn't that good. I suppose it was more realistic, but it wasn't fun to read. There was this huge buildup focusing on the character of Tursgud and you felt the inevitable fight coming closer every page. And then...Tursgud's boat sinks because the Herons put a few holes in it. It was the single most anticlimactic ending I have ever read. Hal and Tursgud were interesting and well developed characters and their rivalry had a lot of potential and it was simply disappointing to have it end as it did, in the confines of less than a page. ( )
  DrPedro | Jun 7, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For my Son Michael, once more.
"Whoa there, Tom! Steady on, fellow!"
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,174,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible