The author offers a collection of memoirs, describing the family and friends who share his life on the Yorkshire dales.

A few years ago I stayed in a wonderful B&B in Thirsk, Yorkshire that was also an animal refuge. I went up to the World of James Herriot and spent a fabulous few hours wandering through their interesting collection of the life of a Yorkshire veterinarian. Therefore, I was happy to come across another one of his books.
It's a series of vignettes about the people of the area and their animals. Often funny but never malicious, Mr. Wight imbues his neighbors and friends with a compassionate and poignant view of their lives. Most are farmers, living a hard life in the Dales, but the stories are so well written and truly takes the reader away.
It's a lovely area and I was happy to indulge in views of the Yorkshire countryside once more. ( )
  N.W.Moors | May 14, 2021 |
I am reading James Herriot's well-known series of books out of order. The five books are about his life as a veterinarian, mostly of large animals such as cows and sheep, in England. EVERY LIVING THING is the last book in the series. I read the third book in the series first and loved it so much that I grabbed EVERY LIVING THING when I found it on the shelf in a used bookstore. This book, too, is wonderful.

Each chapter of the books in this series contains a separate incident, an example from Herriot’s everyday life. Although I do not normally care for books of short stories, in the case of this series, the stories are at least in chronological order and they are so touching they’ll make you wish you could hug Herriot.

The stories in EVERY LIVING THING took place during the 1950s. Happily, by this time, antibiotics and other new drugs were now being produced. So veterinary medicine was more advanced by this time than it was in the earlier books in his series, and Herriot continued to learn. Also, his assistants, new veterinarians just out of college, knew more than he did when he graduated from college, also helpful to his practice.

Although EVERY LIVING THING is the last book in the series, Herriot, thankfully, does not end it with the end of his career. That would have been too sad. ( )
  techeditor | Nov 18, 2020 |
Színes és sokrétű, mint az élet maga. Sok humorral és még több emberséggel megírt történetek a 20. századból. Okosan tanító és a lényeget mutató töredékek egy állatorvos mindennapjaiból. Szeretetre méltó vagy elgondolkodtató figurák. Remek érzés volt estéről estére belefeledkezni. ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
I got a hard bound copy of this for $1 at the Agoura Library book sale today. The sale is every Saturday from 10-4 in the basement. Lots of books and great deals! Most paperbacks are .50, and you can even request books that they'll set aside for you from incoming donations. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Well, I've been thinking about Herriot's books for decades, ever since I first read them. Finally had an opportunity to fit one into a group challenge. I'm not sure I ever did read this one before or not, but in any case I did enjoy it just as much as I hoped that I would. Such quick, sweet stories, with a fair bit of educational value, too. Ok, so maybe much of what I learned could only be used to win more games of Trivial Pursuit (t), but it's still interesting stuff. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth and subdue it: and have dominion over all the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
To my revered and elderly friends, Polly and Bodie
I am never at my best in the early morning, especially the cold mornings you get in the Yorkshire spring when a piercing March wind sweeps down from the fells, finding its way inside clothing, nipping at noses and ears.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,140,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible