The Book with No Pictures by B. J. Novak

The Book with No Pictures (2014)

by B. J. Novak

The Book About Nothing by Mike Bender (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: Two humorous books that show how sometimes the lack of something can be the funniest outcome.

English (134)  Spanish (1)  All languages (135)
Actor and screenwriter B.J. Novak made his children's book debut with this 2014 title, which (as its name suggests) has no pictures. What it does have is an amusing and clever text, one which emphasizes the fun to be had in non-illustrated books, books that "only" have text. The premise here is that the reader, presumably reading aloud to children, must say everything written in the book, which leads to plenty of humorous situations in which an adult is forced (against his or her objections) to say silly things, and to make funny noises. Whatever is written has to be read, because those are the rules...

Having seen The Book with No Pictures read to great effect at multiple story-times, I can attest to the fact that its silly sense of humor is very appealing to young children, who will get lots of giggles out of watching the reader "struggle" with the story, objecting to the things he is being made to say. On a deeper level, it can be said to offer children an encouragement, when it comes to approaching less profusely illustrated texts, as they progress as listeners and readers themselves. It also taps into the child's perspective, when learning to read, that everything on the page must be read, something that is often quite true, when reading is something one is learning for the first time. Although there are no pictures here, we shelve this in the picture-book section at work (and I have listed it on that shelf, here on the site), since we don't really have a "non-picture-books for picture-book readers" shelf. Recommended to young children who enjoy stories with a silly sense of humor. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Mar 28, 2019 |
"The Book with No Pictures" is a book that is as fun to read as it is to listen to. This book is exactly what it says, a children's book with no pictures. What makes it so fun to read is that most of the words are silly and you have to say them because they are in the book. My class erupted with laughter at each page. It was so much fun to see them engaged and excited about a book. I feel this books is really about that, it helps children to understand that reading can just be plain fun. ( )
  lsiben | Mar 27, 2019 |
I have never read a more hilarious book than this book. It is exactly what the title says. It doesn’t have any pictures, only words. Most of the words are made up. It states in the beginning of the story that the person reading the book has to read all of the words even if they don’t want to. The words are all very funny and kids think this story is hilarious. I think the point of the story is to teach students that words are just as important as pictures. ( )
  rshane1 | Jan 27, 2019 |
I picked this up initially because I was drawn to the title, and as soon as I flipped through it I knew my niece would adore it! I did feel a bit like the stereotypical bad aunt bringing home that toy which lights up and sings that you just know her parents are going to hate as I imagined them reading these words, voices and all, again and again to the delight of their kids. But it's totally worth it - it's ingenious and hysterical!
  Adina.M | Dec 31, 2018 |
Huge hit with kids. This also does not have very much literary value and there isn't really any lesson in it. That being said I think it is important to incorporate books like that into the curriculum because they are engaging and help kids be positive about reading and books and excited to read. ( )
  AmberLynn1213 | Oct 28, 2018 |

This innovative and wildly funny read-aloud by award-winning humorist/actor B.J. Novak will turn any reader into a comedian.

You might think a book with no pictures seems boring and serious. Except . . . here’s how books work. Everything written on the page has to be said by the person reading it aloud. Even if the words say . . .

BLORK. Or BLUURF.

Even if the words are a preposterous song about eating ants for breakfast, or just a list of astonishingly goofy sounds like BLAGGITY BLAGGITY and GLIBBITY GLOBBITY.

Cleverly irreverent and irresistibly silly, The Book with No Pictures is one that kids will beg to hear again and again. (And parents will be happy to oblige.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:40 -0400)

"In this book with no pictures, the reader has to say every silly word, no matter what"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,208,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible