You Are Here: Around the World in 92 Minutes: Photographs from the…

by Chris Hadfield

Photographs from the International Space Station punctuated with fun, fascinating commentary on life in zero gravity.

Hadfield has been fortunate enough to live on the International Space Station. While he was there he became fascinated with his planet and our planet below. Using his own camera, he began to take pictures of the things he saw from space. They are the beautiful parts, the bizarre landscapes, and the some of more wonderful natural and man made places. He first shared photos these on Twitter, and built a huge following of fans.

In this book he brings us his favourite pictures and places that he took as he went over the earth every 92 minutes. In print these pictures are spectacular, there are images of deserts, lakes, city lights and rivers. He has captured the urban landscape, the patchwork of fields and the roof of the world in the Himalayas. There are parts of the earth that look unreal too, parts that look like eyes, and ears; almost as if the world is looking out into space too. There is also images of mans effect on the earth, the runoff from fields out onto the ocean floor, scars from mining and contrails from planes.

It is a coffee table look that is out of this world. Ideal for those that want to see our planet in a totally different light. Not much text though, but that isn’t the point of the book. 3.5 stars ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
Vivid photographs of various places on Earth, from the densely inhabited to the desolate, taken from the International Space Station by astronaut Chris Hadfield. Each picture comes with a few lines of explanation telling you where and what it is: nothing too in-depth, just enough to let you know what you're looking at and to get your imagination going. Some of the picture/text combos are whimsical, with Hadfield pointing out features that he thinks look like animals, or facial features, or bits of punctuation. A few come with picture-postcard photos from ground level, for a comparison of perspectives. All of them are striking.

I have several different volumes of pictures of the Earth from space now, and I never, ever get tired of them. This one makes a nice addition to the collection. ( )
  bragan | Oct 23, 2017 |
This is one of those books that easily qualifies as a coffee table book because you hate to hide it away on a book shelf. The photography in it is truly “out of this world.”

As you may recall, I am a fan of astronaut Chris Hadfield. He is among the very few famous people I greatly admire, so I was thrilled when my nephew gifted me his book, You Are Here: Around the World in 92 Minutes: Photos from the International Space Station. I love it! It is full of the magnificent photos Chris Hadfield took during his last mission – from December 2012 to May 2013 – on the International Space Station. His view of the world from way out there was captured in many amazing shots. Out of the approximately 45,000 photos he took, the ones in this book are some of his favourites, most never seen before.

The book is divided into chapters:

Africa
Europe
Asia
Oceania
North America
South America

Each section gives us a perspective only attained from space combined with Chris Hadfield‘s wonderful way of explaining what we’re seeing. At the end of the book is a photo location map. “Every photo’s page number is pinned to the corresponding location on a world map.” (quoted from page 194) It is fun to go back and look at the photo that matches up with the number on the map.

You Are Here: Around the World in 92 Minutes: Photos from the International Space Station is such a beautiful book. It’s one I urge you to purchase, if only to get a better grasp of our mysterious and wondrous planet. You will be awed. ( )
  Polilla-Lynn | Sep 26, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,164,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible