The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson

The Argonauts (2015)

by Maggie Nelson

Can something be overhyped AND pretty spectacular?

There is so much going on here that is fairly opaque to me about gender identity and body awareness. So much of what is up in the air here is stuff I take for granted.

But this is still clear-sighted, practical, accessible and shot through with the universal trail of crumbs that is love and parenting. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
I picked this book up a couple of times but didn't pursue past the first page because I didn't want to wade through all the post-modern philosophizing - I was more interested in the relationship stuff. But one night I started idly flipping through it, and wound up skimming the whole (short) book in an evening, landing on parts that interested me. Then I skimmed it again the next day, landing on other parts that suddenly became more interesting. I did that about 3 more times and came to really appreciate it. I've never read this way before but it works really well for this book, with it's non-linear, musing style. I read it for a book group and was looking forward to discussing, then forgot to go! Ack. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Maggie Nelson, in THE ARGONAUTS, delves into the story of her relationship with Harry, her transgender partner, while also waxing eloquently on writing, books, authors and notable quotes (whose names are conveniently included in tiny type in a broad margin, childbirth, motherhood, sexuality, philosophy, and so much more. Structured in vignettes, it makes her thinking visible and clear.
  sungene | Feb 26, 2019 |
This wasn't a book written for me, but I do appreciate it in a lot of ways. The writing is incredible and the subject matter is so enthralling. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
This is an in-depth essay that revolves around the concept of personal identity. The author uses her experiences with a partner undergoing gender reassignment and her own pregnancy to explore identity as it relates to gender, sexuality and motherhood. Somewhat academic in places, but understandable throughout. I listened to this on audiobook and my only complaint would be that the author read the book herself in somewhat of a monotone voice. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |
for Harry
October, 2007. The Santa Ana winds are shredding the bark off the eucalyptus tree in long white stripes.

"A genre-bending memoir, a work of 'autotheory' offering fresh, fierce, and timely thinking about desire, identity, and the limitations and possibilities of love and language. It binds an account of Nelson's relationship with her fluidly gendered partner and a journey to and through a pregnancy to a rigorous exploration of sexuality, gender and family."--Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible