Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

Cross Bones (2005)

by Kathy Reichs

Series: Temperance Brennan (8)

The Inquisitor's Key: A Body Farm Novel by Jefferson Bass (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: If this kind of Biblical anthropology-forgery stuff is your thing, this mystery might also appeal to you.

English (53)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
Not my favorite. I didn't find the supporting characters likeable and just couldn't get interested in the case. ( )
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
I was looking for more pages. I still don't know how Masada Max was. I might have to take my frustrations out by writing something about him.

I am always thrilled by Kathy Reichs work. I have been a fan since I discovered Bones was based on her books. her writing style is scientifically accurate and manages not to make me feel talked down to.

I really hope that some day the truth of Masada Max may be known. I also understand it if it never is. Some things are too sacred. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
Review: Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs.

I have always liked Reichs’s books but in the story there were a lot of characters, places, and happenings. The book was interesting and I just slowly read and keep track where I was in the novel. The science is always interesting in her books. This story is about Temperance Brennan and detective Andrew Ryan on the trail of a modern murder and ancient biblical mystery. I just happen to be Catholic so all the religious material I had understood. The story starts in Montreal when an Orthodox Jewish man is shot to death and his body was mutilated which took the investigation to Israel. The murdered victim ran an import business that dealt in a Black market of antiquities.

In Israel Brennan, Ryan and a biblical archaeologist Jake Drum was investigating the origins of a skeleton and an ancient crypt where it was said to have been found. The unknown skeleton wound up in the hands of some travelers who raised radical questions and controversy about Christ’s death and his last resting place. Plus, are the bones in the ancient ossuary box the last remains of James, the brother of Jesus as someone stated but how could that be, Jesus had no siblings!

They did determine that the bones were two thousand years old somewhere when Jesus died. There were so many people involved that Brennan didn’t know what was true and with certain people dying was she in danger because the skeleton bones were in her care until someone stole them. The story goes on with more murders and harrowing events that give no clues of who was behind all the secrecy. However, there were so many questions throughout the book but it did all come together at the end… ( )
  Juan-banjo | Apr 22, 2019 |
My first "Bones" book. While I liked Temperence and her tongue in cheek comments, I felt that the book dragged on too long. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
In this book, Temperance Brennan, forensic anthropologist in North Carolina and Quebec, is working at her job in Montreal. The badly decomposed body of an Orthodox Jewish man, Avram Ferris, was found in his warehouse near Mirabel airport. Dr. Brennan is called in on the autopsy because of her expertise with skeletal remains. After her contribution was made to the autopsy she encounters a man in the corridor who hands her a photograph and tells her the skeleton in the photograph is the reason Ferris was killed. Brennan's lover, cop Andrew Ryan, is investigating the murder so Tempe shares this information with him. She has enough archeological experience to recognize that the photograph shows a skeleton from Israel, probably from the time of Jesus Christ. A colleague of hers from North Carolina is on his way to a dig in Israel so he stops in Montreal to look at the picture. He gets very excited about it believing it to be from a cave at Masada, the site of a pitched battle between Jewish defenders and the Romans. He leaves for Israel promising to look for more information. Meanwhile Tempe orders carbon 14 dating and DNA testing. The results of the carbon 14 dating prove conclusively that the skeleton is from the first century. Meanwhile Ryan has determined that the man who gave Tempe the picture may be the murderer and he has fled to Israel. So, both Brennan and Ryan travel to Israel with Brennan carrying the skeleton to return it to its rightful home. Once there they engage in more investigation on the murder front and the archeological front. The twists and turns are reminiscent of the Da Vinci Code in that if the archeological information is corroborated it would turn modern Christianity on its head. I'm not a fan of DVC but I liked this book a lot. As usual with Reichs' books there is explanation of scientific processes like carbon 14 dating and mitochrodial DNA testing but even non-scientific nerds should enjoy it. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 7, 2017 |

Kathy Reichsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fulbrook III, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pawk, MicheleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sebastian, CatherineAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shokoff, ElisaProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wetzel, SuzanneAssociate producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Depart from evil, and do good. Seek peace, and pursue it.
--Jewish Holy Scripture,
Psalm 34:14
The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them that make peace.
--New Testament, James 3:18
And make not Allah because of your swearing (by him) an obstacle to your doing good and guarding (against evil) and making peace between men, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing.
--Koran 2:224
For Susanne Kirk, editor, Scribner, 1975-2004
and
For Dr. James Woodward, chancellor,
University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1989-2005

Thanks for the years of support and encouragement.

Enjoy your retirements!

• From 1963 to 1965, Masada, site of a first-century Jewish revolt against the Romans, was excavated by Israeli archaeologist Yigael Yadin and a team of international volunteers.

[Prologue: The Facts]
Following and Easter dinner of ham, peas, and creamed potatoes Charles "Le Cowboy" Bellemare pinched a twenty from his sister, drove to a crack house in Verdun, and vanished.
[Chapter 1]

The key to a modern murder lies in the sands of history.

Examining a badly decomposed corpse is de rigueur for forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan. But puzzling damage on the body of a shooting victim, an Orthodox Jewish man, suggests this is no ordinary Montreal murder. When a stranger slips Tempe a photograph of a skeleton unearthed at an archaeological site, Tempe uncovers chilling ties between the dead man and secrets long buried in the dust of Israel. Traveling there with Detective Andrew Ryan, Tempe plunges into an international mystery as old as Jesus, and centered on the controversial discovery of Christ's tomb. Has a mastermind lured her into an elaborate hoax? If not, Tempe may be on the brink of rewriting two thousand years of history -- if she can survive the foes dead set on burying her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:14 -0400)

Receiving mysterious clues about a shooting murder in Montreal, Tempe Brennan wonders if the victim may have been a Jewish black market antiquities trader and embarks on a dangerous investigation in Israel.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,408,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible