A Fine Summer's Day by Charles Todd

1914 and the clouds of war are gathering as Rutledge attends a summer outing with his intended. He proposes, generating misgivings about his fiance among his friends and family. A mission in the field to investigate a strange murder by hanging escalates as other deaths occur under similar circumstances.
His investigation, vociferously micromanaged by the chief superintendent is carried out with serious complications caused by the impending war and wedding. The puzzle, with many elements separated by time and place, is complex and intriguing. We meet Hamish in a brief vignette and end with a very satisfactory case of "just deserts" for the killer, as Ian goes off to war.
One of the best in this excellent series. ( )
  jamespurcell | Mar 8, 2018 |
(Fiction, Mystery, Historical, Series)

FantasticFiction.com lists this as #17 in the Inspector Ian Rutledge series; I have notated it as #.5 – that is, a chronological prequel to the series stellar debut A Test of Wills.

This entry takes the reader to Rutledge’s last civilian case before WWI, and gives us a glimpse of the Inspector’s personal life as well.

But I continue to be disappointed with subsequent entries in this series.

3 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Feb 8, 2018 |
I found this book to be hard to put down. I am very glad I read it first before reading Test of Wills. I hope the whole series is this enjoyable. ( )
  Philip100 | Jan 27, 2018 |
Not bad, provides background for Rutledge's life before WWI - Jean is insipid and it's hard to believe he'd fall for her. The mystery was interesting and I was concerned he wouldn't get it all figured out before some poor innocent man would be hanged. ( )
  VictoriaJZ | Nov 30, 2016 |
Although technically No. 17 in the series, this is a prequel, really, which fills us in on Inspector Ian Rutledge's life before WWI turned it all inside out. In the summer of 1914, Rutledge has asked his lady love, Jean, to marry him, and she has accepted. He is embroiled in a series of death investigations which he sees as connected, but which his superiors want him to tidy up individually and quickly, with none of this "there's a killer loose and his work isn't finished" nonsense if you please. And, of course, Europe is about to erupt in the wreckage and horror of modern warfare. Fine reading, although a little more editorial attention could have been paid to grammatical antecedents.
September, 2015 ( )
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | Aug 14, 2016 |
A FINE SUMMER’S DAY is a bittersweet gift to longtime readers of this wonderful series, a prequel that opens in 1914 on one of those perfect English days...This intimate look into the personal life of a detective we’ve known only as a damaged soul is no small gift....Although that mystery is intelligently developed and fairly resolved, the greater gift here is the portrait it presents of England before the war — and before young ladies began urging their men to march off to France. “I don’t want everyone thinking you’re a coward,” Rutledge’s fiancée declares.

1914-1918

To the men and women who served and died in the Great War.  And to those who waited at home for the knock on the door and the telegram that informed them their loved ones had made the ultimate sacrifice.  And not least to the wounded and the survivors, who ever afterward carried the mark of that war on their flesh and in their minds.

And to John, whose war was different.
It was a fine summer's day in England.

New York Times bestselling author Charles Todd takes readers into Scotland Yard detective Ian Rutledge’s past—to his perplexing final case before the outbreak of World War I.

On a fine summer’s day in June, 1914, Ian Rutledge pays little notice to the assassination of an archduke in Sarajevo. An Inspector at Scotland Yard, he is planning to propose to the woman whom he deeply loves, despite intimations from friends and family that she may not be the wisest choice.

To the north on this warm and gentle day, another man in love—a Scottish Highlander—shows his own dear girl the house he will build for her in September. While back in England, a son awaits the undertaker in the wake of his widowed mother’s death. This death will set off a series of murders across England, seemingly unconnected, that Rutledge will race to solve in the weeks before the fateful declaration in August that will forever transform his world.

As the clouds of war gather on the horizon, all of Britain wonders and waits. With every moment at stake, Rutledge sets out to right a wrong—an odyssey that will eventually force him to choose between the Yard and his country, between love and duty, and between honor and truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:00 -0400)

"New York Times bestselling author Charles Todd takes readers on a trip to Ian Rutledge's past, with the story of the last case the Scotland Yard detective tackles before he goes off to fight in World War I"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,963,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible