The Seventh Bride by T Kingfisher

The Seventh Bride

by T Kingfisher

Most of this book was so slow that it was tedious to read and then all the action happens so fast at the very end. It was also really confusing what was happening a lot of the time. Usually I can kinda "see" the story in my mind but it was difficult with this one because the descriptions were poor. I never really liked Rhea, but I did love the hedgehog and Maria was a good character. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
A fascinating take on an old story - it's Bluebeard, more or less (mostly less). The miller's daughter, who is firmly ordinary and fifteen years old, is chosen as a bride by a noble. She and her parents are bewildered - this doesn't happen, except in fairy tales - but quite aware there's no way out of it. She goes to his house (and how can he have a house so close to the town, that no one knows about?)...and finds that's the least of the mysteries and oddities she has to contend with. Lovely characters, events, and points of view; I love Ursula Vernon's take on things. Nicely handled ending, too - solid solutions that indicate new beginnings, sometime. I need to read more by Ursula/T. Kingfisher - they're always worth reading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 6, 2018 |
Adored it. The ending is well suited to the fairy tale genre, with the sorcerer getting their comeuppance and most everyone getting their happily ever after. ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 15, 2017 |
This wonderfully written YA fantasy novel would appeal to fans of Robin McKinley’s fairy tale works.

Rhea’s life takes an unexpected turn when a local lord requests her hand in marriage. She doesn’t want to get married, much less to a stranger who’s as old as her father, but when you’re the daughter of a miller, you can’t tell a lord no. Then Lord Crevan demands that Rhea visit his manor house before the wedding. There she finds both dark magic and his six other wives. If Rhea doesn’t act quickly, she’ll share in their fate.

I picked up The Seventh Bride because I’d enjoyed many of the author’s shorter works. “The Jackalope Wives,” which she wrote under the name Ursula Vernon, won a Nebula for best short story, and I adored her take on Cinderella in “The Dryad’s Shoe.” So it seemed high time to try a longer work by her, and why not something else fairy tale inspired? While The Seventh Bride veers substantially from the original tale, it is clearly reminiscent of the “Bluebeard” fairy tale.

“Marriage was like death. You knew it’d happen eventually, but it wasn’t something you dwelt on.”

I adored Rhea. She’s brave, practical, and doesn’t put up with nonsense. And Vernon’s writing style makes her interior thoughts quite humorous. Rhea actually reminded me a lot of Pratchett’s Tiffany Aching, which is high praise indeed as Tiffany is one of my all time favorite characters. Rhea is also a rare creature – a teenage female protagonist without the slightest hint of a romance plot! Instead, Rhea’s connections are focused on her family, who she wants to protect even if it means marrying Lord Crevan, and her developing friendship with a couple of the other wives. Oh, and the hedgehog who acts as her helpful guide.

Rhea lives in a loosely sketched, charming fairy tale world. Small amounts of magic permeate ordinary life. For instance, a couple of times a year Rhea’s family’s mill gets invested with gnomes and they have to go to the hedge witch for a charm to drive them out. Also, eggplants have a tendency to fly. However, large spells and sorcerers are the stuff of legends and bed time stories. But did I mention that Lord Crevan is a sorcerer? And his manor house is no ordinary house.

T. Kingfisher is the pen name Ursula Vernon uses for adult aimed work, but I would not have placed The Seventh Bride as an adult fantasy novel. Our youthful fifteen year old protagonist gives this story a decidedly young adult feel. That said, it could easily be enjoyed by all ages.

If you ever have the hankering for a wonderfully written, YA fairy tale, I suggest picking up The Seventh Bride. If you’re not convinced, just try a few of Ursula Vernon’s short stories.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Apr 3, 2017 |
Rhea, the daughter of a miller, is poor and not particularly beautiful and is therefore surprised when a lord makes her an offer of marriage. Moreover, it does not seem entirely to be an offer....it is more like a threat. Unwilling that any bad fortune fall upon her family if she refuses this man, she agrees to marry him, but with great reluctance.

On the allotted night Rhea makes her way to Lord Crevan's home upon roads built by sorcery, and comes to his manor house which is inhabited by most of his other wives. If that weren't bad enough, each night Lord Crevan sets Rhea a labour of Herculean proportions, with dire warnings about what will happen if she does not complete the task by sunrise.

In this fantasy novel/fairy tale, Kingfisher explores friendship, power, and what happens when people work together to fight evil. It's a really good book, quite compulsive reading, and would be suitable for teenagers and anyone who likes a good story. ( )
  ahef1963 | Feb 8, 2017 |
For Brooke
(stone)
Her name was Rhea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,967,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible