Appointment with Death (1938)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot (18)

Among the towering red cliffs and the ancient ruins of Petra sits the corpse of Mrs. Boynton, the cruel and tyrannizing matriarch of the Boynton family. A tiny puncture mark on her wrist is the only sign of the fatal injection that killed her. With only twenty-four hours to solve the mystery, Hercule Poirot recalls a remark he overheard back in Jerusalem: "You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed?" Mrs. Boynton was, indeed, the most detestable woman he had ever met.… (more)

English (62)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (69)
I'm a little mixed on this one, there's not as much Poirot as I'd like, he's mainly relegated to the back half. At points I got a bit bored during the setup, but once the trip to Petra hits I was all in.

Mostly I was annoyed by the psychologist making snap diagnoses. But

What I do like is the fact that the family members love each other so they don't want to see any of the family go to jail and it makes for a much more confusing case for Poirot to unravel.

And yes, I got the murderer wrong on this one until it was all but spelled out. ( )
  urbaer | Mar 5, 2022 |
Traducción horripilante de Josep Mallorquí i Figuerola. Una de las once peores traducciones que he leído en mi vida. ( )
  vturiserra | Nov 29, 2021 |
Every time I'm torn between trying to find out the solution and just going along for the ride. And every time I'm bafflingly wrong. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
A very nice little mystery. As the cover says: twice as brilliant as the [b:Murder on the Nile|658292|Murder on the Nile (stage play)|Agatha Christie|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328014190s/658292.jpg|25260045], which was absolutely brilliant. :-)

Again, I believe it is very hard to find out who the murderer is for yourself, but the explanation Poirot gives at the end is quite plausible.

I very much liked the first part of the book, where a nice psychological description is given of a most horrible person. The murder only happens halway through the book, so it's really only half detective, half a story of a distorted family. ( )
  bbbart | Dec 27, 2020 |
Sadistic matriarch dies of what appears to be a heart attack at Petra. Unfortunately there is the mark of a hypodermic needle in her wrist and some medicine missing from a doctor's chest. Poirot happens to be in the vicinity when the death is reported to the authorities.

Was Dame Agatha running out of steam when she wrote this? Lots of remarks about "if this was a detective novel" and all of the characters seem quite oblivious to the ruins at Petra, which is surely what tourists go there for. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Nov 27, 2020 |
Mrs. Boynton es una mujer entrada en años que más que gobernar, esclaviza a sus hijastros ya mayores. Pero ella es la dueña del dinero y, hasta su muerte, todos deberán girar a su alrededor. En el transcurso de un viaje a las ruinas de Petra, los Boynton coinciden con otros viajeros entre los que está Poirot. Cuando el grupo vuelve de la excursión, a la que la anciana no ha acudido, la encuentran muerta a la puerta de su tienda. Todos tienen motivos para desear su muerte, todos son sospechosos.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

SaPo (121)

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To Richard and Myra Mallock to remind them of their journey to Petra
"You do see, don't you, that she's got to be killed?"
Gerard continued: "We see it all round us to-day - in political creeds, in the conduct of nations. A reaction from humanitarianism - from pity - from brotherly good-will. The creeds sound well sometimes - a wise régime - a beneficent government - but imposed by FORCE - resting on a basis of cruelty and fear. They are opening the door, these apostles of violence, they are letting up the old savagery, the old delight in cruelty FOR ITS OWN SAKE! Oh, it is difficult - Man is an animal very delicately balanced. He has one prime necessity - to survive. To advance too quickly is as fatal as to lag behind. He must survive! He must, perhaps, retain some of the old savagery, but he must not - no definitely he must not - DEIFY it!" There was a pause. Then Sarah said: "You think old Mrs. Boynton is a kind of Sadist?" (The Albatross edition 1939, chapter VI, p. 47)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,291,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible