God Help the Child by Toni Morrison

God Help the Child

by Toni Morrison

Spare and unsparing, God Help the Child--the first novel by Toni Morrison to be set in our current moment--weaves a tale about the way the sufferings of childhood can shape, and misshape, the life of the adult. At the center: a young woman who calls herself Bride, whose stunning blue-black skin is only one element of her beauty, her boldness and confidence, her success in life, but which caused her light-skinned mother to deny her even the simplest forms of love. There is Booker, the man Bride loves, and loses to anger. Rain, the mysterious white child with whom she crosses paths. And finally, Bride's mother herself, Sweetness, who takes a lifetime to come to understand that "what you do to children matters. And they might never forget."… (more)

English (43)  French (6)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (51)
"You still believe heartbreak should burn like a star?
"I do. But stars can explode, disappear."

Nice going, Morrison. Exactly what I needed to hear right now. This book was wonderful but almost too succinct for my taste. I was left wanting more in the best way. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Beautifully written and brutally disturbing. I loved every word except for the ending, which didn't ring true. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
The reactions to this book are funny because I think it very much holds up to her other work. The structure is different- shorter but her ability to do concise stream of consciousness that is powerful in its own right is impressive. The content was hard to read, but that's always been the case and she dealt with the topic and showed how the different characters dealt with it in so many ways. She didn't just show us one example of the issue and have that character be the embodiment of living with that trauma. Instead she gave us a panoply of reactions to witnessing or suffering that crime. And as always it was a multi-layered book with many other topics relevant but not strictly related to the theme being explored in little pockets of text. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
2015 2016, abuse, African American, African American Literature, African Americans, American fiction, American literature,
  KennedyKing | Aug 2, 2018 |
Une jeune femme à la peau noire lui conférant une beauté hors norme rencontre: doutes, succès et atermoiements.
  ACParakou | May 28, 2018 |
As the book flies toward its conclusion, the speed bumps in its early pages quickly recede in the rearview mirror. Writing with gathering speed and assurance as the book progresses, Ms. Morrison works her narrative magic, turning the Ballad of Bride and Booker into a tale that is as forceful as it is affecting, as fierce as it is resonant.

"Although deeply embedded in African-American history, Toni Morrison's writings have always gone beyond standard representations of African Americans as victimized or marginalized individuals drifting along the outskirts of white concerns. She has instead presented them as central cosmic presences wading their way through currents of unique human experience shaped by powerful confluences of historical developments. As an author, Toni Morrison in some important ways is to American fiction what the late W.E.B. Du Bois and Howard Zinn were to American history: a revisionist of themes and texts who expanded narratives on the American story to validate the testimonies of those whose lives and voices had been classified as 'minor'.” -- Aberjhani

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Laferrière, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nikolov, LyubomirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piltz, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not. Luke 18:16
For You
It's not my fault.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,811,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible