The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse by…

The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse

by Alan Bradley

Flavia de Luce gets a lot of love in the book forums where I hang out online, and so I thought it might be fun to try the newest short story as a kind of introduction until I could get the first of the series from the library. Alas, I think I did myself (and possibly Flavia) a disservice in reading this later entry in the series before she and I had been properly introduced. I found it all less charming than I expected to. Flavia's expertise can't be denied, but her personality seemed a lot less winning than I would have expected given the enthusiasm with which her fans talk about her.

Flavia is called to investigate a murder in a local boy's school. When she arrives, she finds the victim lying in an empty bathtub, covered in copper. He's been electroplated. She's been called there by one of the boys who had a huge row with the man a short time earlier, and who is afraid he's going to be charged for the murder. He wants Flavia to clear his name before the police are called.

The mystery is clever enough, I suppose, but it feels curiously flat. We never get much of a feel for the situation, or the people in it, and Flavia comes across as a walking encyclopedia of odd facts rather than a fully rounded character. If this was the only thing I'd read about her and didn't know what an enthusiastic following she had, I probably would never bother to pick up another of the books.

But fair is fair, and so many people swear by her that I am going to begin at the beginning and hope that this short story is just a fluke, and that Flavia de Luce really is as winning as I've been told. ( )
  Tracy_Rowan | May 25, 2018 |
The only thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't a full story. That and it wasn't audio, which is my preferred method of reading these the first time through. Still, I can't get enough of Flavia. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
A Flavia De Luce short story. She's up to what she does best. Loved this. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
Fun to read if you like Flavia de Luce, but the problem I see about this very short story is that the crime isn't that bloody interesting and the ending a letdown. But Flavia is Flavia, sometimes I forget that she is only 11-years old. But she is so smart and her thoughts in this short story, how she solved the case etc. is the things that make it readable. She is just so...precocious! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Flavia investigates a man's death at her father's old school when a student requests her investigative services. Using clues assembled in a short span of time, she fingers the killer even before the police arrive. This short story is a great way to spend a few minutes with this child detective. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 6, 2017 |
In which eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, chemical connoisseur, is immersed in her element.

Fans of Flavia de Luce rejoice--here's a special eBook original short story, in which the eleven-year-old connoisseur of chemistry is immersed in her element: solving a mystery! Murder! the letter says, Come at once. Anson House, Greyminster, Staircase No. 3. How can Flavia de Luce resist such an urgent plea? After all, examining a dead body sounds like a perfectly splendid way to spend a Sunday. So Flavia hops upon her trusted bicycle, Gladys, whose rubber tires hiss happily along the rainy road, and arrives at her father's mist-shrouded old school. There, a terrified boy leads her to the loo where, sitting in a bathtub, is what appears to be a statue. But, no: To Flavia's surprise, the thing is in fact a naked dead man. Save his face, he seems to have been carved out of copper. Never one to shy away from the macabre, Flavia gets to work--only to find that when an investigation begins with a metallic cadaver, ever more curious twists are to be expected. Acclaim for Alan Bradley's beloved Flavia de Luce novels, winners of the Crime Writers' Association Debut Dagger Award, Barry Award, Agatha Award, Macavity Award, Dilys Award, and Arthur Ellis Award "If ever there were a sleuth who's bold, brilliant, and, yes, adorable, it's Flavia de Luce."--USA Today "Part Harriet the Spy, part Violet Baudelaire from Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Flavia is a pert and macabre pragmatist."--The New York Times Book Review "This idiosyncratic young heroine continues to charm."--The Wall Street Journal "Delightful . . . a combination of Eloise and Sherlock Holmes."--The Boston Globe "Think preteen Nancy Drew, only savvier."--Entertainment Weekly "The most intrepid and charming adolescent chemist/detective/busybody in all of rural, post--World War II England."--The Seattle Times… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,999,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible