Friend of My Youth: Stories by Alice Munro

Friend of My Youth: Stories (1990)

by Alice Munro

8711915,863 (4.15)24
Recently added bydonnab108, JustineAvery, cns1000, private library, ejmw, WestBranch, Rosa86, hummingquill, merrileer, vroyen

English (14)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
Ten Alice Munro stories from the eighties, all of them written for either the Atlantic or the New Yorker. That's probably all you need to say to make it clear that this is a book we should all read...

As you would expect, the stories are mostly about people - mainly middle-aged women from the more provincial parts of Canada - whose businesses, houses, lovers, husbands, children (and often also their own bodies) have not performed as they would have hoped. But they also often seem to be stories about the processes through which life turns into story, and where we learn about the narrator or viewpoint character through a story they are telling or trying to uncover. Not to mention guest appearances by the Border ballad "Tam Lin" and a chunk of Walter Savage Landor...

There's also lots of nice rural/small town Canadian atmosphere, much of it apparently from the forties and fifties, and typically we are in a world of small shopkeepers, schoolteachers, farmers and nurses, only rarely moving into the "professional classes". ( )
  thorold | Nov 3, 2016 |
have not managed to get through all of the stories yet - do not recall borrowing this from our library during the past 10 years
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
_Éô_ôã ôɯ»¯±¯ÂôÉ
  dinanabil | Feb 28, 2014 |
_Éô_ôã ôɯ»¯±¯ÂôÉ
  Dina_Nabil | Feb 28, 2014 |
Another wonderful collection of short stories by the master. Each story is layered with intricate detail that culminates in a finish that often is life continuing on. Her descriptions of trees, the street in a small town or the face of one of her characters are like looking at a picture.
The stories are mainly about women but we see men too strong and frequently weak. The stories are mainly set along the shore of Lake Huron and usually in rural or small town settings and as I grew up on a farm in rural South West Ontario, they remind me of my youth. ( )
  lamour | Aug 8, 2013 |
To the Memory of My Mother
I used to dream about my mother, and though the details in the dream varied, the surprise in it was always the same.

The ten miraculously accomplished stories in Alice Munro's Friend of My Youth not only astonish and delight but also convey the unspoken mysteries at the heart of all human experience.

"[Friend of My Youth is] a wonderful collection of stories, beautifully written and deeply felt."--Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

In the powerful, haunting stories of Munro's collection, men and women, in the midst of contemporary quandaries and crises, recall the long-buried yearnings, dreams, and hard choices that have given shape to their lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible