The Fold by Peter Clines

The Fold

by Peter Clines

Series: Threshold (2)

An old friend presents Mike Erikson with an irresistible mystery to solve -- far out in the California desert, a team of DARPA scientists has invented a device that shrinks distances so that a traveler can travel hundreds of feet with a single step but evidence is mounting that this miraculous machine isn't quite what it seems--and that its creators are harboring a dangerous secret.… (more)
    14 by Peter Clines (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: set in the same universe - a "side-quel" (some of the same characters show up)

If it's anything that I really love about these type of novels is the wonderful science-fiction centered mysteries they hold within them, to make their avid readers more involved not just into their story-lines, but also in their science fiction aspects of it. This novel has ll that any avid reader addicted to crazy and weird mysteries and science fiction want to have in a novel, and thus comes very highly recommendable to everyone and to all of you who are truly addicted to crazy and weird mysteries and want to discover and uncover what's really going on within it. I couldn't figure it out and I am quite knowledgeable about Science and The Universe, maybe and perhaps you are the one who knows a whole lot more and you are the one who will and enlighten us all with your own theory and with your own review. ( )
  Champ88 | Dec 25, 2019 |
After reading 14 and enjoying it immensely I was keen to continue the story so I was pleased to see it was part of a series and the follow on book was The Fold. However upon reading the description for this book I was a little puzzled as it seemed like an entirely different scenario and story, regardless though I figured as I'd enjoyed 14 so much I'd jump into this and see where it went.

Interestingly, initially it does seem to be a completely different story, however you get an initial hint that there might be more going on when green cockroaches are seen, yep those green cockroaches. This immediately heightened my interest in what was unfolding, and as the story progresses it becomes apparent the mysterious technology the scientists are experimenting with is based off of the work of the same scientist who designed the machine in 14.

Whilst you could read this without having read 14 first, I think the ending would be a rather large let down as it strongly links back to the events that took place in 14 without much explanation, so if you were to read this without having read 14 the ending would just seem like some random people turned up for no apparent reason and talked riddles, when in actual fact it's quite a neat ending when you have the knowledge of 14.

At any rate, it was a good addition to the universe in which these stories take place and I look forward to the third installment. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Jul 6, 2019 |
“Well," Mike said. "That was disturbing.”

Leeland “Mike” Erikson has no clue what he’s getting himself into when he accepts what he’s told is a temporary job to evaluate a science project that’s on the verge of changing the future of humanity. His curiosity piqued by the premise, he takes a leave of absence from his job as a teacher to use his gift/curse of an eidetic memory to learn about the machine. Termed the “Albuquerque Door,” the machine transports people across distances by folding space. As Mike learns more about the door, he’ll help the team of scientists discover properties and dangers about it even they didn’t know were possible.

One of the elements about Peter Clines’ writing I love is his ability make the science of science fiction understandable for us laymen through his characters. Just like in his book [b:14|15062217|14|Peter Clines|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1338999953s/15062217.jpg|20716929], it was thrilling and exciting to uncover clues and secrets right along with the characters. Having experienced the story through audiobook, it’s really more like a cast of a movie as narrator Ray Porter breathes a unique and individual life into the people involved with the storyline.

I have to agree with a few other reviewers when I say my opinion of the book changes as the climax approaches. The discovery of things unknown throughout the story is so fascinating that it, in a way, leaves the end falling short that makes it sort of lackluster. It’s hard to describe, but it may be the feeling that there are no more surprises to unearth. I did enjoy, though, the connections back to [b:14|15062217|14|Peter Clines|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1338999953s/15062217.jpg|20716929] with a few characters and concepts.
  nframke | Apr 30, 2019 |
A high school teacher who has an eidetic (photographic) memory is asked by a government friend to look in on a super-secret project involving the folding of space to shorten travel distances. The department needs to know if the project is worthy of continued funding...and may also have another motive.

This book is really more of a thriller than a science fiction novel. In fact your average detective novel probably has more science in it. What little science is discussed is simplified so that the layest of laymen can understand it, and the truth is--I don't think this is really a spoiler--the team of scientists hasn't the faintest idea how their invention works. I feel like Clines wanted to write a SF novel, but didn't know much about science, so he just waved the whole thing away.

The prose in general is also very simple and told in very short chapters a la James Patterson. I did appreciate the lightness of the text to a certain extent, as I spent several hours in a waiting room this week and it is very difficult for me to read a normal book in such settings, especially when there is a television going, but at all other times it felt unsatisfying. There is also a gratuitous amount of pop culture references which made the protagonist's talent seem more like a way for the author to showcase his trivia knowledge than anything else.

In the afterword the author mentions that a "literary" writing instructor didn't think much of his original version of this story. Well, Peter, sometimes the teacher is right. And, dear reader, you don't have to be any kind of literary snob to think this is a terrible book. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Accessible Science Fiction! That, my friends, is exactly what The Fold delivers. Quite well in fact, if I do say so myself. As a fair-weather reader of Sci Fi, I tend to shy away if things get too technical. I love the ideas that this genre puts forth. Especially because so much of what it offers up is actually plausible! Still, when I can't comprehend some of what I'm reading I tend to loose interest. The Fold walked that beautiful line between facts, and fiction. It gave me characters that I could love and understand. It gave me chilling mystery, and profound moments too. Long story short? This was a great read!

Although I've never known anyone like Mike, with his staggering IQ and eidetic memory, he was so likable that I felt like we were friends. Imagine having a brain like a super computer. Able to recall anything that you've ever seen, heard, or even tasted. What would you do with such a power? If you're Mike, you'd work as a high school English teacher. I won't get into the particulars, since I'd rather you discover them for yourself, but trust me when I say that Mike is one fascinating individual. Watching him slowly unravel all the secrets surrounding the "Albequerque Door" had me riveted. Not two weeks before I read this book, I was reading an article about scientists working with dark matter, and looking at folds in space. After reading this book? Well, I'll simply say that I really hope things don't turn out that way they do in here.

I think what makes this book so accessible, honestly, is that it doesn't just dwell on the scientific aspect of things. The team working on this project feel like real people. We see how they interact with one another, along with their strengths and flaws. Every time it seemed like things might be getting a bit too heavy, something would happen to pull me back. I had such an investment in the characters of this book, such a deep need to see them through, that I couldn't stop reading. I knew what they were doing was dangerous, I just didn't realize how right I was. The twist here is amazing!

My final verdict is a simple one, and that's simply that this book needs a spot on your reading list. While it wasn't perfect, it was a ton of fun to read! It's not often that I power through a Sci Fi book, but this one made it impossible not to. I hope there's a follow up, because I could definitely read more about Mike. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |

Clines, Peterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom, Sally
Who read all the bad stuff until there was finally some good stuff
"I just don't think it's that good," said Denise.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peter Clines's book The Fold was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,549,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible