Living to Tell the Tale (2002)

by Gabriel García Márquez

This work, the first volume of a planned trilogy, is the memoir of Nobel Laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It contains details of people, places, events, family, work, politics, books and music, his beloved Columbia and parts of history and incidents that later appeared in his fiction.

English (19)  Spanish (8)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (34)
Great writer but all the names, and there were loys of them, meant nothing to me. ( )
  Ed_Schneider | Dec 15, 2019 |
Las memorias de Gabriel García Márquez. El tomo, con 528 páginas, cuenta la historia de sus abuelos maternos, los amores de su padre, un ámbito de su vida familiar especialmente querida por García Márquez y, por fín, su propia vida hasta 1955, fecha de su definitiva dedicación a la literatura con la aparición de su primera novela, La Hojarasca. El nacimiento de su vocación por el periodismo y su viaje a Europa como corresponsal de El Espectador también ocupan una parte muy importante del volumen. La escritura de las Memorias de Gabriel García Márquez ha sido motivo de gran atención por parte de su público lector, críticos y editores de todo el mundo especialmente cuando, después de superar una grave enfermedad, el escritor se encerró para culminar esta obra, por lo tanto es uno de los libros más esperados de los últimos años en el que podemos apreciar su gran maestría narrativa. Cada etapa de su vida en este primer volumen, nos recuerda las historias de algunas de sus primeras novelas
  Haijavivi | Jun 6, 2019 |
This is the first in a planned three-volume autobiography, taking the reader from Marquez’s birth in 1927 to his young adulthood in the mid 1950s.

In recounting his early life, the author also tells the history of Columbia – the politics, culture, troubles and triumphs of the people. He talks about his family and the women who raised him. And, of course, he talks about the women he loved, physically if not emotionally.

Marquez cannot tell a tale without some element of magical realism; that style is so ingrained in the oral traditions of Latin America. I loved those little hints in this story of a literary technique that this author perfected and brought to lovers of literature worldwide. In some scenes I was reminded of evenings spent on the porch in the dark of a summer’s evening, listening to my grandparents recount tales of their own childhoods. And while I generally dislike “cliff-hanger” endings, the one employed here was just perfect.

Still, I’m in no hurry to read additional memoirs by Marquez. This one definitely could have used some editing. ( )
  BookConcierge | Oct 10, 2017 |
Review: Living To Tell The Tale by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I felt like this wasn’t a book written about Gabriel Marquez but about all the people he was acquainted with. Each person he knew Marquez took his time and wrote a respectable amount of information about them and looked upon a lot of them as some kind of mentor. The book was more addressed to his acquaintances then himself. It was interesting and written well but not what I expected and sometime not on the stimulating side. However, I give him credit for his writing.

The book started out with his recollection of being with his mother taking a trip back to their home in Aracataca. The events and adventure of that time was holding my interest because that was the kind of book I thought this was. I could see by his words what kind of a life he encountered and the vast secluded environment he was brought up in.

As his story moves on I learn very little about Marquez other than he is a gifted writer, articulate, and a mystified type of person. However, I found myself wanting more coherent worldview accounts of his life, something to link all the events and adventures of others around him to his life. I did read many details of his life in Colombia translated through remarkable facts and history from other people.

Marquez, himself gave a brilliant assessment of Colombia’s troubled political history, past and present, and how to survive living in an artistic community. It might feel like I’m putting the book down but it’s far from that estimation. I just wanted more of his life story more detailed, the draining of essence of his great mind because as a writer he is a genius.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
García Márquez's new book, a memoir called ''Living to Tell the Tale,'' reminds us that what seems so fantastical in ''One Hundred Years of Solitude'' is in fact a reasonable description of Colombia, where ghosts are still central to workaday life and the successor to the civil war depicted in the novel rages to this very day.

''Living to Tell the Tale'' -- a title that conjures memories of ''Moby- Dick,'' as well as this Nobel laureate's own nonfiction book ''The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor'' -- is the first volume of a planned autobiographical trilogy. But its most powerful sections read like one of his mesmerizing novels, transporting the reader to a Latin America haunted by the ghosts of history and shaped by the exigencies of its daunting geography, by its heat and jungles and febrile light.

Wellicht had die zelfgeschapen werkelijkheid beter mythisch kunnen blijven in plaats van, onder het mom van een autobiografie, een hybridisch boek te worden dat noch helemaal verdichting noch helemaal waarheid is. De pretentie van het laatste heeft de vorm van het boek geen goed gedaan. Feiten en gebeurtenissen volgen elkaar vaak op met een fantasieloosheid (`en toen...', `hoe dan ook...') die een echte roman zich niet had kunnen veroorloven.

Maar in die gebeurtenissen krijgt de verbeeldingsvolle formuleringskracht van García Márquez als van oudsher vrij baan. Zo bedwelmend en sprookjesachtig als zijn kinderjaren, het journalistieke succes en niet te vergeten de talloze gestreelde vrouwendijen hier beschreven worden, zijn ze misschien allemaal niet geweest. Maar wie zou deze verhalen erover hebben willen missen?
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Ger Groot (pay site) (Jan 17, 2003)

Vivir para contarla es la novela de una vida y, a lo largo de sus páginas el lector de García Márquez descubrirá ecos de personajes e historias que han poblado sus inolvidables novelas como Cien años de soledad o El amor en los tiempos del cólera. Además, esta obra incluye muchas más sorpresas. Seguiremos los primeros pasos de García Márquez en el mundo de la creación artística, el trabajo incansable en el proceso de redacción y corrección de La hojarasca, los distintos escenarios de una juventud bohemia plagada de burdeles, bailes y hoteluchos de mala muerte en Barranquilla, Cartagena de Indias y Bogotá. Y todo aderezado con reflexiones sobre el oficio de escritor, en un entramado que avanza y retrocede en el tiempo con la seguridad que sólo pueden dar cincuenta años de oficio maestro.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Gabriel García Márquezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morino, AngeloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Life is not what one lived,but what one remembers and how one remembers it in order to recount it.
My mother asked me to go with her to sell the house.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible