Marley & Me by John Grogan

Marley & Me (2005)

by John Grogan

7,880None414 (4.05)230
(26) 2006 (34) 2007 (28) 2008 (20) animal (22) animals (208) autobiography (74) biography (171) death (27) dog (169) dogs (689) family (152) fiction (90) Florida (53) funny (26) humor (192) John Grogan (23) Labrador (20) Labrador retrievers (67) love (51) Marley (27) memoir (449) non-fiction (578) own (54) pets (222) read (110) read in 2006 (27) sad (21) to-read (70) unread (25)

English (297)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (309)
WTF?? Dogs! ( )
  krishnahappy | Mar 27, 2014 |
A whimsical look at life with an ill-behaved family pet and eventually three small children. A view of the family's life with free-spirited, undiciplined Marley, the yellow lab who taught the family to seize the moment, follow your heart, and what unwavering loyalty really means. A delight to read. ( )
  berthacummins | Jan 28, 2014 |
Found it to be a enjoyable, easy to read book. Tales from Grogan's ownership of a dog who caused a great deal of havoc in his life, but was a truly beloved pet. Nothing too emotion or earth shattering. ( )
  saylink | Jan 25, 2014 |
This is the true story of a newlywed couple who brings home a cute energetic yellow lab puppy. Marley turns out to be a dog who just cannot behave, but he is just so endearing and loyal and devoted and loveable, that his family couldn't help but fall in love with him. The book tells the story of Marley's life.

I loved it!!! It was so funny. I laughed out loud lots of times, and at one point, I laughed so hard I cried - and I couldn't stop laughing and crying! The book does bring us right to the end of Marley's life, too, so it is definitely a tear-jerker at the end. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 3, 2014 |
I love animals, so I was surprised indeed when I discovered that I didn't like Marley! The book was well-written, and I enjoyed the story, but Marley drove me bonkers. I cannot understand his appeal; maybe the dog in the movie version is more loveable. ( )
  silva_44 | Dec 2, 2013 |
In memory of my father, Richard Frank Grogan, whose gentle spirit infuses every page of this book
In the summer of 1967, when I was ten years old, my father caved in to my persistent pleas and took me to get my own dog.
...the expression on his face gave him away. It almost screamed out, Good God, man! For the sake of future generations, we must contain this genetic mistake at all costs!
I had quickly reverted to my premarriage (read: slovenly) lifestyle. By the power vested in me as the only adult in the house, I suspended the Married Couple Domesticity Act and proclaimed the once banished Bachelor Rules to be the law of the land. While Jenny was in the hospital, shirts would be worn twice, even three times, barring obvious mustard stains, between washes; milk could be drunk directly from the carton, and toilet seats would remain in the upright position unless being sat on.
As with so many of his misdeeds, this one was not malicious or pre-meditated. It wasn’t as though he had disobeyed a command or set out to intentionally humiliate me. He simply had to go and he went. True, at the wrong place and the wrong time and in front of all the wrong people. I knew he was a victim of his own diminished mental capacity. … The dog was defective. How could I hold that against him?
Marley was a funny, bigger-than-life pain in the ass who never quite got the hang of the whole chain-of-command thing. Honestly, he might well have been the world’s worst-behaved dog. Yet he intuitively grasped from the start what it meant to be man’s best friend.
Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in the shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.

John and Jenny were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy - and their life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador Retriever who crashed through screen doors, drooled on guests, stole women's undergarments, devoured couches and fine jewelry, and was expelled from obedience school. Yet Marley's heart was pure, and he remained a steadfast model of love and devotion for a growing family through pregnancy, birth, heartbreak, and joy, right to the inevitable goodbye.

The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the
wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life

John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelry. Obedience school did no good Marley was expelled. Neither did the tranquilizers the veterinarian prescribed for him with the admonishment, "Don't hesitate to use these."

And yet Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behavior, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy, and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. Marley shut down a public beach and managed to land a role in a feature-length movie, always winning hearts as he made a mess of things. Through it all, he remained steadfast, a model of devotion, even when his family was at its wit's end. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:10 -0400)

The story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible