Marley & Me by John Grogan

Marley & Me (2005)

by John Grogan

English (316)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (327)
Loved this book ( )
  AveNegron | Jul 7, 2016 |
Great book about the "Worlds Worst Behaved" dog. I also saw the movie. The last 20 minutes or so of the movie was very hard to watch. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I absolutely LOVED this book. The story had it all. It made me laugh, cry, and it moved me. As a fellow dog lover, I found it easy to relate to the author and even easier to fall in love with Marley-- crazy antics and all. ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
''Marley and me'' has become one of my favorites because is one of the few books that made me laugh out loud as well as cry. It's an insight into a normal couple's life which is turned upside down when they decide to buy a puppy. And in crashes labrador Marley. A very large, headstrong and virtually untrainable Labrador Retriever, Marley was also lovable, steadfast and the true definition of man's best friend. His absolute joy for life and his love of his family came through on every page. He had the heart of a puppy through all of his 12 years, but at 90 pounds his exuberance was often of a destructive nature.
Marley hated thunderstorms, loved the ocean, was protective of his family and always ready with a big slobbery kiss. I give a lot of credit to the Grogan family for seeing the good in their beloved dog, he is the kind of adorable puppy that when grown often ends up back in a shelter. For all the love Marley gave them, they returned it in equal measure.
"Marley & Me" is so much more than the story of a lovable canine, it's the story of a family - how they grew together, their celebrations and their griefs. It's also a tale sure to provoke both laughter and tears. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
My favorite kind of book, one that makes you laugh and cry. Keep plenty of tissues handy. ( )
  Koren56 | Feb 4, 2016 |
In memory of my father, Richard Frank Grogan, whose gentle spirit infuses every page of this book
In the summer of 1967, when I was ten years old, my father caved in to my persistent pleas and took me to get my own dog.
...the expression on his face gave him away. It almost screamed out, Good God, man! For the sake of future generations, we must contain this genetic mistake at all costs!
I had quickly reverted to my premarriage (read: slovenly) lifestyle. By the power vested in me as the only adult in the house, I suspended the Married Couple Domesticity Act and proclaimed the once banished Bachelor Rules to be the law of the land. While Jenny was in the hospital, shirts would be worn twice, even three times, barring obvious mustard stains, between washes; milk could be drunk directly from the carton, and toilet seats would remain in the upright position unless being sat on.
As with so many of his misdeeds, this one was not malicious or pre-meditated. It wasn’t as though he had disobeyed a command or set out to intentionally humiliate me. He simply had to go and he went. True, at the wrong place and the wrong time and in front of all the wrong people. I knew he was a victim of his own diminished mental capacity. … The dog was defective. How could I hold that against him?
Marley was a funny, bigger-than-life pain in the ass who never quite got the hang of the whole chain-of-command thing. Honestly, he might well have been the world’s worst-behaved dog. Yet he intuitively grasped from the start what it meant to be man’s best friend.
Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in the shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.

John and Jenny were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy - and their life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound steamroller of a Labrador Retriever who crashed through screen doors, drooled on guests, stole women's undergarments, devoured couches and fine jewelry, and was expelled from obedience school. Yet Marley's heart was pure, and he remained a steadfast model of love and devotion for a growing family through pregnancy, birth, heartbreak, and joy, right to the inevitable goodbye.

The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the
wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life

John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelry. Obedience school did no good Marley was expelled. Neither did the tranquilizers the veterinarian prescribed for him with the admonishment, "Don't hesitate to use these."

And yet Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behavior, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy, and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. Marley shut down a public beach and managed to land a role in a feature-length movie, always winning hearts as he made a mess of things. Through it all, he remained steadfast, a model of devotion, even when his family was at its wit's end. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

The story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life. Is it possible for humans to discover the key to happiness through a bigger-than-life, bad-boy dog? Just ask the Grogans.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,318,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible