The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

The Art of Racing in the Rain (2008)

by Garth Stein

Recently added byrena75, qrgriffin, BrianD138, Darksyde, private library
    A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: narrated by dog!
    Marley & Me by John Grogan (Trevorlanticism)
    Dog on It by Spencer Quinn (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: Written from dog's point of view
    Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote (kalpitad)
    kalpitad: Although The Art of Racing in the Rain is fiction and Merle's Door is non-fiction, both provide a narrative about the mind and heart of a dog.
    The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (jbarry)
    Belka, Why Don't You Bark? by Hideo Furukawa (nsblumenfeld)
    A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle (Cecilturtle)
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach (Graphirus)
    Graphirus: Life-philosophy explained through action, an activity (flight/car racing)
    One Good Dog by Susan Wilson (hokansonh)

English (498)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (503)
This was a very cute book told in Enzo's voice. It was a very easy read and a little predictable but it was very enjoyable. I loved the parts when he was talking about the court case and pieced the scenes together based on what he heard Denny talking about and what he saw of courtroom dramas on television. ( )
  TLWelsh1108 | Apr 9, 2019 |
Simplistic concepts and plain language made for a very quick Saturday afternoon porch read. A family drama book made even more tear-jerky by a canine narrator. Yes, I cried. The racing analogies were quite boring. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Narrated by the dog, this book is exceptional, heartwarming, multi-faceted, to be read over & over & shared.
  nanarobin | Mar 1, 2019 |
One of my favorite books! But I have to add a Kleenex warning......you will shed a tear or two! ( )
  BookLove80 | Feb 21, 2019 |
Absolutely loved this book. Enzo is the type of dog/friend that everyone should have. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Fans of Marley & Me, rejoice.
added by cmwilson101 | editEntertainment Weekly

If you've ever wondered what your dog is thinking, Stein's third novel offers an answer. Enzo is a lab terrier mix plucked from a farm outside Seattle to ride shotgun with race car driver Denny Swift as he pursues success on the track and off. Denny meets and marries Eve, has a daughter, Zoë, and risks his savings and his life to make it on the professional racing circuit. Enzo, frustrated by his inability to speak and his lack of opposable thumbs, watches Denny's old racing videos, coins koanlike aphorisms that apply to both driving and life, and hopes for the day when his life as a dog will be over and he can be reborn a man. When Denny hits an extended rough patch, Enzo remains his most steadfast if silent supporter. Enzo is a reliable companion and a likable enough narrator, though the string of Denny's bad luck stories strains believability. Much like Denny, however, Stein is able to salvage some dignity from the over-the-top drama.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

“I savored Garth Stein’s The Art of Racing in the Rain for many reasons: a dog who speaks, the thrill of competitive racing, a heart-tugging storyline, and--best of all--the fact that it is a meditation on humility and hope in the face of despair.”
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Wally Lamb

Stein, GarthAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Welch, Christopher EvanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna
For Muggs
Gestures are all that I have; sometimes they must be grand in nature.
To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live. (pg 160; first harper paperback published 2009) ~ Enzo~

She died that night. Her last breath took her soul, I saw it in my dream. I saw her soul leave her body as she exhaled, and then she had no more needs, no more reason; she was released from her body, and, being released, she continued her journey elsewhere, high in the firmament where soul material gathers and plays out all the dreams and joys of which we temporal beings can barely conceive, all the things that are beyond our comprehension, but even so, are not beyond our attainment if we choose to attain them, and believe that we truly can.

In Monglolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog's master whispers into the dog's ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog's soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.
Please distinguish among The Art of Racing in the Rain (2008), for general audiences; Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog (2011), "a special adaptation for young people of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling adult novel The Art of Racing in the Rain"; and Enzo Races in the Rain! (2014), for pre-school to third grade readers. Thank you.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope--a captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

Nearing the end of his life, Enzo, a dog with a philosopher's soul, tries to bring together the family, pulled apart by a three year custody battle between daughter Zoe's maternal grandparents and her father Denny, a race car driver.

Garth Stein is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Garth Stein chatted with LibraryThing members from May 17, 2010 to May 28, 2010. Read the chat.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,246,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible