Jonathan Livingston Seagull (1970)

by Richard Bach

Other authors: Russell Munson (Photographer)

10,549190548 (3.61)150
Because he spends so much time perfecting his flying form instead of concentrating on getting food, a seagull is ostracized by the rest of the flock.

English (159)  Spanish (8)  Italian (7)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Norwegian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Turkish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (189)
I loved it when I read it, I must have been 17 or so. If I think about it now, it is probably more in the category „chicken soup for the soul”. ( )
  luciarux | Jul 3, 2022 |
842860066X
  archivomorero | Jun 27, 2022 |
I found this book entirely by accident, someone on r/taoism mentioned this book. Then one of my friends told me that it was an analogy of Jesus. Reading the reviews, I had no idea what to expect from this book. My little brain was trying to imagine a story about a Taoist seagull, who also has a lot of diverse themes...and was also an analogy of Jesus...somehow(?)

The book went down very quickly. If you are like me, confused reading this diverse description, read the book. It's a book about freedom and limits and many other things. Sincerely, I think that anyone can find some meaning or themes close to him in this little book.

5/5 Would follow The Great-Gull-Jonathan-Holy-Be-His-Name again.

PS: If you liked this book I recommend you check [b:The Outsider|28110083|The Outsider|Colin Wilson|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1455502583l/28110083._SX50_.jpg|3310176] ( )
  Pxan02 | May 14, 2022 |
A little book about a huge concept. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Waited 50 (!) years to read this book and it didn't really hold up. In junior high, I remember this book was EVERYWHERE. Everyone read it, raved about it. I was curious, but never got around to it. Well, all I can say is that the reader for this book is probably a 5th or 6th grader, maybe even younger. I don't understand how it got on the NYT best seller list. The story itself is not horrible, a kind of philosophical fable -- about a seagull who learns he can do anything, if he believes in himself. The problem is that this booklet (it is very short) was taken as some kind of revelation about life. Yikes. I also felt that the black and white photographs that "illustrate" the book are terrible. They add nothing to the story, and are just not very well done. If it had been illustrated by an actual artist, it might have been a really nice kid's book. ( )
  Marse | May 9, 2022 |
Fernão Capelo Gaivota é uma proposta de superação às nossas limitações. Uma crença na força que provém do nosso mundo interior. Em cada um de nós existe um Fernão Capelo Gaivota…

Bach, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Munson, RussellPhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bean, TomCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauppi, KaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paolini, Pier FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the real Jonathan Seagull, who lives within us all
It was morning, and the new sun sparkled gold across the ripples of a gentle sea.
By sunup, Jonathan Gull was practicing again. From five thousand feet the fishing boats were specks in the flat blue water, Breakfast Flock was a faint cloud of dust motes, circling. He was alive, trembling ever so slightly with delight, proud that his fear was under control. Then without ceremony he hugged in his forewings, extended his short, angled wingtips, and plunged directly toward the sea. By the time he passed four thousand feet he had reached terminal velocity, the wind was a solid beating wall of sound against which he could move no faster. He was flying now straight down, at two hundred fourteen miles per hour. He swallowed, knowing that if his wings unfolded at that speed he’d be blown into a million tiny shreds of seagull. But the speed was power, and the speed was joy, and the speed was pure beauty. He began his pullout at a thousand feet, wingtips thudding and blurring in that gigantic wind, the boat and the crowd of gulls tilting and growing meteor-fast, directly in his path. He couldn’t stop; he didn’t know yet even how to turn at that speed. Collision would be instant death. And so he shut his eyes. It happened that morning, then, just after sunrise, that Jonathan Livingston Seagull fired directly through the center of Breakfast Flock, ticking off two hundred twelve miles per hour, eyes closed, in a great roaring shriek of wind and feathers. The Gull of Fortune smiled upon him this once, and no one was killed. By the time he had pulled his beak straight up into the sky he was still scorching along at a hundred and sixty miles per hour. When he had slowed to twenty and stretched his wings again at last, the boat was a crumb on the sea, four thousand feet below.

See also the Wikipedia article.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,797,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible