A Dog's Life (1995)

by Peter Mayle

All about a dog named Boy. He recounts his days as a bachelor, his contempt for hunters, his love--after a fashion--for chickens, his amorous interludes and his run-ins with plumbers and other human annoyances. By the author of Toujours Provence, with drawings by Edward Koren.

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
This is the "autobiography" of Peter Mayle's adopted mongrel dog. An absolute hoot. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
This is a fun, well written book. The "author" offers insights into why a dog behaves as it does that are both amusing and profound. He also presents a point of view on the behaviors of people that amazingly accurate.

If you are a dog person, or just someone who enjoys them from a distance, you will love this book.

grandpahobo | Sep 24, 2015 |
This is one of the funniest books I've ever read. If you like dogs, you will love it. I'm always buying copies to give away. ( )
  WintersRose | Nov 30, 2014 |
5214. A Dog's Life, by Peter Mayle (read 5 Nov 2014) This is a 1995 book by a dog, Boy, who is born with a dozen siblings in the litter. No one chooses him from the litter so the owner dumps him in a forest in France. He eventually ingratiates himself into being taken into a French home. He often does not behave well but knows how to induce his keepers into forgiving him, The book is funny at times but not memorable. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Nov 5, 2014 |
I have been a fan of Peter Mayle for a while. A Dog’s Life is different from his usual writing style but I thoroughly enjoyed it. This story is told from the dog’s point of view. It seems like a very accurate accounting of what I think dog’s reactions may be. But then I tend to give my dogs more credit regarding their thought processes and adding human emotion.

“Boy” was a pup with an unhappy childhood. He was chained outside with barely any shelter and had a cruel owner. When he was taken hunting he proved to inefficient at that task as he was afraid of gunfire. I was becoming truly sad when I read how he was abandoned. The cruel owner took him for a car ride, pulled the dog from the car and hurled a piece of meat into the weeds. The dog took off for the meat and the owner drove off, abandoning the poor dog to fend for himself.

The dog roamed the countryside, eating scraps when he could find anything and eventually went into a city to beg for food and company. Each time he followed someone it seemed they may take him in but he was always shooed away in the end. Finally, on one of his trips roaming the roadside, a kind lady stopped the car and offered him a ride. This is the beginning of Boy’s good fortune.

The kind lady and her husband are none other than Peter Mayle and his wife. They dubbed the dog Boy and took him in. What a wonderful life Boy had living in the Provence countryside, wandering from the kitchen to the local woods and then writing his memoirs. Boy provides us with his observations of his new owners (he calls them management), thoughts on hygiene habits of various nationalities who visit the French cottage, cats, meals and wine.

The drawings in the book were done by Edward Koren and are perfect for all the stories. I liked this book very much and it’s a very quick read. It’s humorous, it’s set in Provence France and offers a good storyline – what’s not to like.

5 Bones for this classic canine story. Let’s share a white Bordeaux in honor of Boy’s fine accommodations in the Provence countryside. It’s always nice to read a happy ending. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Sep 12, 2014 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

My story is based on actual events. However, following the current autobiographical custom adopted by politicians in their memoirs, I have adjusted the truth wherever it might reflect unfavorably on myself.
To Jean-Claude Ageneau, Dominique Roizvard, and Jonathan Turetsky, three princes among vets.
Life is unfair, as we all know, and a good thing, too.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,595,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible