Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Sidney Chambers and The Forgiveness of Sins…

Sidney Chambers and The Forgiveness of Sins (2015)

by James Runcie

A nice check in with Sidney and his family and friends. I do like how time passes in these books and I can definitely feel how Sidney has aged over time. The mysteries are interesting enough, but nothing very new. Definite comfort reading. ( )
  duchessjlh | Apr 24, 2017 |
This is the fourth volume of stories about Canon Sidney Chambers upon which the television series, The Grantchester Mysteries, is based. In Sidney Chambers and the Forgiveness of Sins, it’s the mid-1960s in Cambridge, England.

Our hero is featured in six short stories, which run an average of 66 pages. Although I’m not a big fan of mystery short stories, I like these, mainly because they are offered in sequence and with the same characters, making the book read more like a novel.

Other featured characters include Sidney’s wife Hildegard and their little daughter Anna – and, of course Sidney’s best friend Police Inspector Geordie Keating, who often enlists Sidney’s help on his cases or at least tolerates his friend’s meddling. Sidney seems to get results.

The crimes in the six stories vary from art theft and poison-pen letters to outright murder. And Canon Chambers contends with his curate, Malcolm, who is wooing a girl young enough to be his daughter. Plus his best friend and former amour Amanda wants Sidney to check out the man she plans to marry.

These stories are as cozy as can be, reminiscent of the Father Brown stories by G.K. Chesterton. Sidney Chambers is a great protagonist and I am vowing to read more of the stories, whether or not they ruin my viewing of the PBS television series. ( )
  NewsieQ | Nov 11, 2015 |
Not so much mysteries, but lots of life changes as Sidney and Hildegard head into the next stage of their lives. ( )
  bgknighton | Jun 23, 2015 |
This book was on display at the library on the new books and I was captivated by the title. What a delightful read. About halfway through I thought the author must be related to the late Archbishop of Canterbury as he described the life of a village priest so intimately. James is indeed the son of the late Robert Runcie. James said in an interview that Sidney is "loosely" based upon his father. I loved the description of Sidney's moral dilemmas and his sensitivity to his calling. Found a treasure! ( )
  kellyn | Jun 9, 2015 |
'To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless. G.K. Chesterton
For Marilyn
One cold Thursday morning, in February 1964, a man walked into the church in Grantchester and would not leave.

In a latest Grantchester mystery set in 1960s Cambridge, a man seeks sanctuary after killing his wife, a friend is pursued by a mysterious stranger, a man is accidentally crushed by a piano and Sydney is wrongly accused of theft.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,510,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible