And the Good News Is...: Lessons and Advice…

And the Good News Is...: Lessons and Advice from the Bright Side

by Dana Perino

I really enjoy watching Dana on The Five. I was delighted to learn that she is authentic on screen and enjoyed reading about her life, especially the meeting of her husband and her many career moves. She has a refreshing positive outlook in a field where that is rare. I was much less interested in the advice she gave, as I didn't think she offered any new or original perspective with those tips. They were boilerplate business networking tips. Yes, solid advice, but I think there much too much room in the book devoted to covering them. I would rather she shared more personal anecdotes. That said, I will admit I am not a big fan of self-help advice books, so take that with a grain of salt. ( )
  Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
Dana Perino is far from her Wyoming roots, but not far from the values of hard work and respect that she learned growing up. Life really took off for her when she began living in Washington DC and eventually became President George W. Bush's Press Secretary. She now lives in New York City as a regular Fox News Contributor, appearing daily on Fox's The Five.

Perino begins by sharing about her idyllic life growing up on a ranch in Wyoming and then in Colorado. Her love for her family shows through her descriptions of the land they worked and their strong work ethic. Her times spent with her father reading newspapers, watching the news and discussing the stories and their ramifications truly prepared her for the future.

The romantic in you will swoon over her chance meeting with her now husband. Through numerous odds against them, they have definitely found true love. If you know Dana at all, you will also know about her great love for their Vizlsa dogs, Henry and Jasper. You can frequently find Jasper making an appearance on Fox News.

No matter your political affiliation, you will appreciate Perino's stories of "43" and life in the White House. You will laugh, cry, and gain a great respect for the job of President. Perino shares many personal stories with delicacy and humor. Her devotion and gratefulness towards the Bush family is present on every page.

Perino spends time sharing personal tidbits about each of her co-hosts from Fox. You will be surprised that one of them had to save another co-workers life right in front of them at a dinner. Even though they may not all agree politically, there is definitely a great respect and love for each other.

Perino strives to find the good in everything, which is where the title of her book comes from. She likes finding the good news of the day and sharing it at the end of the show. Throughout the book, she shares life lessons and pieces of news that reminds all of us that there is still goodness in the world. Her book is perfect for new graduates, job seekers, and frankly, anyone in the work force. The lessons she has learned from her grandparents to politicians to numerous presidents and the press corp are all ones that can keep you optimistic about life in general. ( )
  Staciele | Aug 17, 2015 |
My husband and I read this aloud on a road trip. We both loved Dana when she worked at the White House and love her now as a Fox News personality. Her book is a lot like her, likeable and pleasant. I enjoyed reading about her early family life and career. I wished there'd been even more political inside info than there was. Her career has been phenomenal, so her tips and advice for those coming up now were well taken. Not sure it will stay with me forever, but it was like a nice visit over a cup of tea.. ( )
  Zumbanista | Jul 20, 2015 |
And the Good News Is... Lessons and Advise from the Bright Side by Dana Perino

From amazon.com:
From her years as the presidential press secretary to her debates with colleagues on Fox News' The Five, Dana Perino reveals the lessons she's learned that have guided her through life, kept her level-headed, and led to her success, even in the face of adversity.

Thoughtful, inspiring, and often surprising, AND THE GOOD NEWS IS . . . traces Dana Perino's unlikely journey through politics and television. It's a remarkable American story-made up of equal parts determination and clear-eyed optimism.

From facing professional challenges and confronting personal fears to stepping up to a podium for a President, Dana has come to expect the unexpected and has an uncanny ability to find the good news in any tough situation. AND THE GOOD NEWS IS . . . takes us from her Western childhood in Wyoming and Colorado to a chance meeting on an airplane that changes her life entirely. Then, with refreshing honesty and humor, she recounts her frustration with a string of unsatisfying jobs and living circumstances until a key career tip leads her back to Washington, D.C. to work for the Bush Administration.

Dana also shares here her best work and life lessons-tips that will help you to get your point across convincingly while allowing your own grace and personality to shine through. As someone who still believes in working together to solve the problems our nation faces, Dana offers clear, practical advice on how to restore civility to our personal and public conversations. The result is a fascinating read that can help anyone become more successful, productive, and joyously content.

Leona's review:

I really liked this book. I have been following Dana and the group on The Five on FOX from the beginning of the show.
For those who think it is all about politics, they need to read this book. She gives praise to many, no matter the side of the aisle they are on for politics. I find Dana one of the most caring people on TV.

The pictures in the book are good and personal. I think they helped make the book.

Dana writes about President George W. Bush a lot. She mentions how he would give a wink and a smile, something my husband did.
I do know she also cares for President George H. W. Bush as she has talked about him in past.

Dana writes about her love of animals and of Henry, the dog that died, and now Jasper, America's dog, in her book. I love it when she shows the pictures of Jasper.

She has spent time in Africa, with her husband, helping and caring for others.

Contents of the book are:
Introduction
Chapter 7. Unafraid to be Right
One More Thing
Acknowledgements
About the Author

Introduction: "This book explains the unlikely story of how I became the White House press secretary, the things I witnessed and learned in that job, and how those experiences eventually led me back to what I wanted to originally- television commentary on politics, policy and culture." (page 11)

Chapter 1: Gives us information about where Dana was born and her family and how close they were; " My grandpa didn't make us walk up the hill to have another go; (sliding down a hill on the snow) instead he watched us slide down and then he'd drive to the bottom to pick us up and take us back to the top."

Chapter 2: Tells of her meeting Peter, her husband on an airplane. " I made it to board before the flight closed. I handed my ticket to the agent and noticed one person behind me." (page 71)

Chapter 3: " The day I learned about becoming the next White House press secretary was the day I planned to resign from the White house." (page 96) We learn of many times Dana is with the President and some of the times the tears came.

Chapter 4: Dana loves her new job at FOX. " One day Brian Kilmeade filled in for Greg and in a commercial break said to me, 'You know, all those years at the White House I never knew you were funny'. " They talk of politics, what is new in the news, Jasper, food and celebrate birthdays. The liberals also get to speck their mind on The Five so it is not all conservative.

Chapter 5: Lots of advise for many of us. "When I had the idea to write this book, I realized that passing some of these lessons on remained a major motivations." Dana gives three favorite pieces of advice: Quick Fixes, Good Habits, and Big Picture. On Quick Fixes is ' no Uggs at the office; Good Habits she says to 'share the credit' ; and Big Picture one rule is 'you are who you meet'.

Chapter 6: "Americans understand that Congress is meant for debate and argumentation. But what bothers them it that is seems that elected leaders can't get along at all. Hateful comments have become normal in Washington and that's made for some of our greatest disappointments." (page 206) I think Dana speaks for most of us. Hateful speech does not help anyone.

Chapter 7: "My politics didn't define me then, but because of my interests and what I do for a living, it somehow does now." (page 232) I like this message. I think most of us grow and change.

One more Thing: "Of all the advice I've been given, Margaret Spellings telling me to "Put my big girl panties on and deal with is' is my favorite." (page 235) This is a great message especially to the young adults.

This book is dedicated: To my Bush Administration colleagues.

Dana Perino may be found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/danaperino and also www.danaperino.com

I checked out this book from my local library.

I give this book a 5 star rating.

Leona Olson
http://www.mnleona.blogspot.com ( )
  mnleona | Jun 17, 2015 |
I had so wanted this book to a 5 star but it just misses. Parino has become a formidable force with many appearances on FOX news and elsewhere but her regular gig on The Five. She is developing acute political skills but lacks the will to go for the kill shot. Even in this book, she still shies away from the powerful remark in exchange for the merely knowledgeable remark. Her fraternal love for George W Bush is deep seated and, according to her, is reciprocated. She must have a wealth of stories so there is no doubt there will be sequel in good time. What she does not do is to estimate the degree of sincerity of those who speak well of her as well as those who don't.
This is a feel-good book and we all will be better off for having read it. But how much we learn is murky. The several pages devoted to "how-to's" are excellent if only because they state the obvious which we all seem to stumble over at one time or another. Will she become a politician? That has to be on the horizon and this book won't hurt her chances but it will do little enhance them either. ( )
  DeaconBernie | May 31, 2015 |
To my Bush Administration colleagues
Introduction: I knew the job of White House press secretary would be hectic and demanding, but I never expected I'd come to physical harm.
Chapter 1: "Excuse me, ma'am," the secret service agent whispered in my ear.

(From Book Jacket & amazon.com)

From her years as a presidential press secretary to her debates with colleagues on Fox News' The Five, the author reveals the lessons she's learned that have guided her through life, including stories from behind the scenes at the White House with President George W. Bush that the cameras never captured."From her years as a presidential press secretary to her debates with colleagues on Fox News' The Five, Dana Perino reveals the lessons she's learned that have guided her through life, including stories from behind the scenes at the White House with President George W. Bush that the cameras never captured. Thoughtful, inspiring and often surprising, AND THE GOOD NEWS IS... traces Dana's unlikely journey through politics, the White House, and television. She has an uncanny ability for knowing what to say and how best to say it. A recurring theme in AND THE GOOD NEWS IS...is that planning has never worked for Dana; every time she has made a plan, something unexpected-and often better-has happened. AND THE GOOD NEWS IS... blends a candid self-portrait with advice for allowing one's very best personality traits to shine through, emphasizing that dignity and civility are choices we make for ourselves. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible