The Sound of Glass

by Karen White

"It has been two years since the death of Merritt Heyward's husband Cal, when she receives unexpected news--Cal's family home in Beaufort, South Carolina, bequeathed by Cal's reclusive grandmother, now belongs to Merritt. Charting the course of an uncertain life--and feeling guilt from her husband's tragic death--Merritt travels from her home in Maine to Beaufort, where the secrets of Cals unspoken-of past reside among the pluff mud and jasmine of the ancestral Heyward home on the Bluff"--Amazon.com.… (more)

A very moving, deeply enriching tale of love among family. ( )
  SharleneMartinMoore | Apr 24, 2021 |
Mystery about a recluse that was abused by her late husband. You learn that the family had a history of spousal abuse and the consequences of their actions. ( )
  janismack | Jan 30, 2020 |
Would have been a better book if it were 100 pages shorter. Merritt goes to live in her husband's family South Carolina mansion from Maine. Her husband's early life was a mystery to her because he apparently spent all his time beating her during their seven year marriage. Her move is complicated by the arrival of her stepmother and stepbrother from Georgia, Loralee and Owen, who act as though they are also moving in. Cal's brother Gibbes shows up and he's a good looking doctor and nothing like his abusive brother--naturally. Merritt calms down just in time to figure out that Loralee is dying and is planning to leave Owen with her to raise. Meanwhile a plane crash in 1955 near the house becomes the reason that Merritt met Cal in the first place. Oy vey. ( )
  mojomomma | Sep 22, 2019 |
This was a 3.5 for me (rounded up to 4). I did like the characters and their differences. I thought the plane crash added mystery and I had a pretty strong idea of how everything would turn out. Still, I was curious to see if I was right and I liked learning about the characters. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
I loved this book so much! It reminded me of all the reasons I'm proud to be southern. I loved the snippets of wisdom and fierce spirit of Loralee. I also loved the strong themes of family and healing. I haven't cried this much from reading a book in a very long time. Highly recommended!!

Thank you to netgalley for the free copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  cwhisenant11 | May 29, 2019 |
One need not be a chamber to be haunted,
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.
- Emily Dickinson
For my parents
An unholy tremor rippling through the sticky night air alerted Edith Heyward that something wasn’t right.
. . . any glass that could withstand such a beating without crumbling was something to be celebrated . . . only fools thought all glass was fragile.
My mama always said that to plant a garden meant that you believed in tomorrow.
Closing her eyes, she thought of her mother and her long illness. It had always seemed to Loralee that death had come to Desiree in pieces, taking parts of her until there was nothing left but one last breath. She found herself thinking of Desiree more and more lately, especially about how she hadn’t been afraid at the end. Loralee knew her mother hadn’t had an easy life, but she’d left it with no regrets. She was rich, she said, because she’d loved deeply and knew how to laugh, and that was what life was about. Everybody dies. But not everybody lives.
You’re strong at the broken places.
.. . we are all tumbled about by the waves of life, earning scars that show where we’ve been.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,288,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible