Nuts

by Alice Clayton

Series: Hudson Valley (1)

17219116,613 (3.75)3
Bestselling author of Wallbanger and Rusty Nailed is back with Nuts, the first in a brand new series set in New York's beautiful Hudson Valley. Roxie Callahan is a private chef to some of Hollywood's wealthiest, and nastiest, calorie-counting wives. After a dairy disaster implodes her carefully crafted career in one fell ploop, she finds herself back home in upstate New York, bailing out her hippie mother and running the family diner. When gorgeous local farmer Leo Maxwell delivers her a lovely bunch of organic walnuts, Roxie wonders if a summer back home isn't such a bad idea after all. Leo is heavily involved in the sustainable slow food movement, and he likes to take his time. In all things. Roxie is determined to head back to the west coast as soon as summer ends, but will the pull of lazy fireflies and her very own Almanzo Wilder be enough to keep her home for good? Salty. Spicy. Sweet. Nuts. Go on, grab a handful.… (more)

3.5/5 ( )
  wayfaring_stranger | Oct 12, 2020 |
Another awesome, funny book from one of my favorite romance writers. Love Alice Clayton's writing style and now read everything she writes. ( )
  rachaelw83 | Sep 28, 2020 |
You want actual great romance scenes and a great plot? This book is for you.

A personal chef in L.A. Roxie loses her job after accidentally turning whip cream into butter (the scene was hilarious). Roxie loses one client after another and after wondering what to do, she gets a call from her mother asking her to come back home and run their family diner in Bailey Falls (in Hudson Valley). Though Roxie is reluctant, she goes home to run the diner after her mother goes off to compete in The Amazing Race. Roxie has no intention of staying home past the summer, but meeting local organic farmer Leo Maxwell, has Roxie rethinking whether she wants a commitment or just some summer loving.

I loved Roxie (until I read book two and now I freaking love Natalie) and her backstory had me sympathetic. Her mother is aging hippie who gets caught up in her romances and left Roxie to be the grown-up. And after meeting Leo (seriously the first two meets were freaking hilarious) though Roxie is attracted, she's up front she just wants no strings attached sex. And Leo is on board with that too.

Leo was a great hero. We find out some of the complications Leo has and there's a lot of detail regarding the organic food movement.

Secondary characters do great in this one. I loved the glimpses we get at Roxie's best friends Natalie and Clara (going to be the main heroines of book #2 and #3). And the townspeople of Bailey Falls though small town are caring. Having Roxie hang out with a former high school crush (The Chad Bowman) was awesome and hilarious.

The writing was fantastic and hilarious. There's a running theme of bees and Roxie that had me cracking up. As someone who is always bitten by mosquitos she has my sympathies.

I really wish Alice Clayton had added in some of the recipes for the cakes and other food that Roxie was making. I was hungry reading this book the whole time. Do not read if you haven't eaten!

The love scenes were hot and I loved every last one of them. There's some raunchy thrown in there, but nothing that should offend any readers.

The setting of Bailey Falls made me slightly homesick. Though Roxie is hesitant about being home, you get to see the appeal of living in a small town.

The ending was great and I loved the epilogue told from Leo's point of view.
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I don't always love Alice Clayton. Sometimes her humor grates on me, sometimes the heroine in the book is irritating. At times, I don't connect to the hero. Sometimes the drama is weirdly manufactured and immature. I liked Wallbanger a lot, but since then I've either been solidly in the eh or no thanks camp. (I think anyway). That's why it took me two years to read Nuts-or however long it's been out.

That was two years too long. It was funny (some cheap humor, some witty), had likable characters, low drama, hot buildup, hotter scenes, you get the idea. It was a sweet book about two people signing up for a fling until they realize it's something more. I loved how it all came together, and most of all, I loved Leo. He was warm, open, funny, patient...And gives good nicknames. Sugar snap. Stop. My heart.

I'm so glad I gave the author another chance after a disappointing couple of books before--and I plan to continue on with this one based on the delightful first book. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
As a teenager, our hometowns are often not what they are cracked up to be. Or at least in our minds. As the saying goes, the grass is always greener. Roxie has that opportunity to hop the fence and find out if the grass is truly greener. However, Mistress Fate has other plans that sends Roxie back to her 'dreaded' hometown and smack dab into the handsome crotch of an organic farmer.

'I smiled. "But you still want to lick my honey, don't you?" '

I love Alice Clayton's writing style. Her dialogue is witty. Her characters are layered and flawed. And always, always humorous. So why the 3.5 stars? Well, I battled with how to write this review. If I wrote the review on the last 53% of the novel, it would have been 5 scorching stars. Leo and Roxie - between the dialogue and situations - my Kindle was on overheat or sore from laughing. But a review is on the entire novel. The first 47% would have been 2 boring stars. Ms. Clayton gives you wonderful background and you fall in love with the scenery of the Hudson Valley with her vivid descriptions. But, I felt the storyline was mired a bit in the valley at the start. Like I said, I love Ms Clayton's writing. The words of other authors "You're not going to love everything I write" rings in my ears. So, there you go.

If you are a huge fan of her books, this is a read that you may enjoy. If you find the pace slow at the start, wait for it at 53%. If you've never read her book, this may be a good starter. Because for me, it just gets better in the others.

karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,502,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible