Furiously Happy

by Jenny Lawson

3,2631983,973 (4.02)143
"In Furiously Happy, #1 New York Times bestselling author Jenny Lawson explores her lifelong battle with mental illness. A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? That sounds like a terrible idea. But terrible ideas are what Jenny does best.As Jenny says: "Some people might think that being 'furiously happy' is just an excuse to be stupid and irresponsible and invite a herd of kangaroos over to your house without telling your husband first because you suspect he would say no since he's never particularly liked kangaroos. And that would be ridiculous because no one would invite a herd of kangaroos into their house. Two is the limit. I speak from personal experience. My husband says that none is the new limit. I say he should have been clearer about that before I rented all those kangaroos. "Most of my favorite people are dangerously fucked-up but you'd never guess because we've learned to bare it so honestly that it becomes the new normal. Like John Hughes wrote in The Breakfast Club, 'We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it.' Except go back and cross out the word 'hiding.'"Furiously Happy is about "taking those moments when things are fine and making them amazing, because those moments are what make us who we are, and they're the same moments we take into battle with us when our brains declare war on our very existence. It's the difference between "surviving life" and "living life". It's the difference between "taking a shower" and "teaching your monkey butler how to shampoo your hair." It's the difference between being "sane" and being "furiously happy."Lawson is beloved around the world for her inimitable humor and honesty, and in Furiously Happy, she is at her snort-inducing funniest. This is a book about embracing everything that makes us who we are - the beautiful and the flawed - and then using it to find joy in fantastic and outrageous ways. Because as Jenny's mom says, "Maybe 'crazy' isn't so bad after all." Sometimes crazy is just right"--… (more)

"Emptying a litter box is basically like serving as a cat's toilet. It is the best way to humble yourself ever. Add 10 more points for being an awesome toilet."

"Add 10 points if you didn't die"

"Give yourself 50 points if you're a vampire. Subtract 40 points if you're a sparkly vampire."

brozic | Jan 27, 2024 |
Funny, whimsical, ludicrous, gorgeous, touching. Hopeful, and hysterical. And I found myself nodding and agreeing, far, far too much.
  Zehava42 | Jan 23, 2024 |
It didn't hold my attention quite as well as I hoped that it would. It's essentially a book of essays, and that works for me sometimes, and other times does not work for me. And I like the author's attitude, but it was a bit too chaotic for me right now. ( )
  Greenfrog342 | Jan 22, 2024 |
This book is a must read. Jenny Lawson has made me laugh so hard I cried, and made me cry so hard I laughed. She not only understands mental illness, but she eloquently describes how to make the best of it. This book is in fact a self-help book. But not one of those self-help books that makes you feel guilty and worse than you were prior to reading it. This book makes you feel alive again! ( )
  b00kdarling87 | Jan 7, 2024 |
I get that this is funny, but it's not my cup of come-tea (that's supposed to be an admittedly terrible pun on "comedy"). Lawson narrates the audiobook herself at lightning speed (slow down, girl). Like [b:Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened|17571564|Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened|Allie Brosh|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1409522492s/17571564.jpg|24510592], there's a lot of good stuff here about the realities of chronic depression and anxiety. Very enlightening for someone who hasn't experienced it and, I imagine, relatable for someone who has. ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
This book is dedicated to my daughter, the giggling witness to the strange and wonderful world her family has created out of insanity (both real and hyperbolic).

God help us when she's old enough to write her own memoir.
No, no. I insist you stop right now.
Victor says...

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,593,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible