The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss by…

The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss

by Max Wirestone

FGMAMTC Blog Review
4.5 stars

This book is pure enjoyment and fun. The writing is smart and colorful with a storyline of equal measures geek and mystery.

Dahlia has been on a long unemployment streak, when a job falls into her lap. Originally hired to solve an online gaming issue between teammates, she soon gets wrapped up in a murder investigation. Some of the plot happens inside a multiplayer elaborate online gaming world. Some happens in her real world. She's totally relatable and free with the humor always. Even though someone is killed, it's pretty light-hearted with cosplay events, dumpster diving and just general everyday wackiness. Sometimes the pace heats up as with a shoot out that seems to blend as a LARP, but by the end, it does give a serious message of just getting out and living.

I can definitely see The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss being turned into a movie. I don't read a lot of books that are so full of quirky bits, pop culture, and geek references. It was exactly what I needed—totally delightful, and I will be looking for more from this author.

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

Fangirl Moments and My Two Cents

Website / Facebook / Twitter / Google  / Pinterest / Goodreads / Tumblr / tsū

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I really loved this book; it was everything I thought it would be and more. So as the synopsis states this is a book for geeky fans and I would also say that it is for those who enjoy a good mystery as well. Dahlia Moss has had it rough, she has no boyfriend, and no job, and is living at a friend's place while trying to find something to straighten out her life... along comes a guy who offers her crazy money to find a digital weapon in an online game - so what the heck does she have to lose? She begins her investigation only to realize that the guy that hired her turns up dead. Now she is freaking out a bit and finds herself in the middle of a real investigation, but she has been offered even more money to still find the online weaponry.

Most likely you are reading this review from my blog or a book-site – which means you probably already know how nerdy I am. This book was SO up my alley. I heart it with all the feels. Dahlia was adorable and funny and quirky and nerdy but a strong female who has had to earn her place in the geekdom. I appreciate that. I love MMORPGs and RPGs for that matter, I love books and board games and LOOTCRATE and comics…. This book had so many references to so many things that I enjoy but also was a great story. The mystery was fun to follow – I didn’t even guess how it all would work out in the end (I love a secretive mystery).

I found this book to be just what I needed to pull me back into reading again. I read it in about 2 sittings, the first half was a little slow going but the 2nd half was a whirlwind of fun. I recommend it.
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book is a geeky mash-up of noir detective novels and fandom culture. It's zany, sometimes outright ludicrous, and laugh-out-loud funny with its loving riffs on Pokemon, World of Warcraft-like culture, and cosplay. Heroine Dahlia is a hapless loser who has gone to job interview to job interview to no avail. When a guy shows up and offers her a load of money to play private detective for him and retrieve a stolen spear, she takes the job out of utter bewilderment. But when said dude ends up dead, things end up considerably more complicated.

It's not a "serious mystery." There are goofy coincidences and convenient plot elements, but with the zany mood, it's easy to forgive such things and go with the flow. I adored the book and I'll be on the look out for more by this author. ( )
  ladycato | Sep 14, 2016 |
I’m struggling with this review in the same way I struggled with the story. What was it that just didn’t connect with me?
I liked the storyline with the idea of online play, in MMORPG Kingdom of Zoth, crossing the boundaries to real life when Jonah is killed with a physical version of the spear that had been stolen from him in the game.
I felt like the story was written around Dahlia’s jokes and one liners and they came across as contrived and forced.
I found that the characters weren’t developed enough to wonder who killed Jonah or really even care.
I did get a few laughs during Dahlia’s conversations with Nathan and Det Shuler and Dahlia’s roommate, Charice, is so crazy she deserves a series of her own.

A cozy mystery that would be enjoyed by online gaming enthusiasts.

I received this book from the publisher via netgalley to read and review ( )
  Ronnie293 | Jun 11, 2016 |

For fans of The Guild, New Girl, Scott Pilgrim, Big Bang Theory, Veronica Mars, or anyone who has ever geeked out about something.

The odds of Dahlia successfully navigating adulthood are 3,720 to 1. But never tell her the odds.

Meet Dahlia Moss, the reigning queen of unfortunate decision-making in the St. Louis area. Unemployed broke, and on her last bowl of ramen, she's not living her best life. But that's all about to change.

Before Dahlia can make her life any messier on her own she's offered a job. A job that she's woefully under-qualified for. A job that will lead her to a murder, an MMORPG, and possibly a fella (or two?).

Turns out unfortunate decisions abound, and she's just the girl to deal with them.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:07:53 -0400)

4 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,376,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible