The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss

by Max Wirestone

Series: Dahlia Moss Mysteries (Book 1)

"Meet Dahlia Moss, the reigning queen of unfortunate decision-making in the Saint Louis area. Unemployed, broke, and on her last bowl of ramen, she's not living her best life. But that's all about to change. Before Dahlia can make her life any messier on her own she's offered a job. A job that she's woefully under-qualified for. A job that will lead her to a murder, an MMORPG, and possibly a fella (or two?). Turns out unfortunate decisions abound, and she's just the girl to deal with them"--… (more)

If you liked The Guild and a quick detective story full of nerdy references, this book is great. ( )
  SeanMarlow | Nov 12, 2020 |
Great voice and silly, light fun. It's got lots of nods to geek culture without being too over the top, and I enjoyed Dahlia immensely. Also, RedRasish. I kind of hope this turns into a series. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
I had fun reading this, but not so much fun I plowed through it. There’s plenty of humour, sure, and the mystery and characters are just kooky enough to make me smile, but somewhere around the halfway point it went from “I’m really liking this” to “I have to finish now that I’ve gone this far.” It was worth the finishing—the mystery’s well-plotted and kept me guessing and there’s plenty of very enjoyable bits—but … yeah, wasn’t hooked. Don’t regret it either, though. I think my favourite thing was that Wirestone gets closer to the mindset of a twenty-something geek than I think I’ve ever read, and that was refreshing to see. Second favourite? All the nods to noir novels and cop show tropes, especially when Dahlia relies on them a bit too much.

6.5/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Jul 26, 2020 |
What I enjoyed most about this book, was it's setting in the MMORPG world. This is not something I have seen often in books, and I thought it was really interesting. We got to see the people's characters in the game, and then that same person in real life. The mystery itself felt a little contrived. Although we did get a satisfying conclusion, it seemed a little silly. I wasn't sure how a virtual funeral within the game would work out.

I enjoyed reading this very much, and stayed up too late at night to finish it. The book was funny and interesting.

I received a free ARC from NetGalley ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Super fun, and (tricky, given the subject matter) not too silly. At times a bit rom-com (the female protagonist seemed to evaluate each new male in terms of looks/boyfriend potential) but the author's gay, so am I, and I do that myself, so I guess it rings true!

Already purchased the next one, so I must have liked it.

Not 5 stars because (a) not emotionally engaging enough, not that I'd expect it, and (b) the resolution of the plot didn't make me go "oh, of course!" as much as "oh, so that's why. okay." Agatha Christie is still my gold standard for "oh, of course!" and if you haven't read her yet, read The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side and get back to me!

(Note: 5 stars = rare and amazing, 4 = very good book, 3 = a decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm good at picking ones I'd like so I do end up with a lot of 4s!) ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

At this point I regarded job interviews less as a means to get a job and more as a ritualistic process of destroying the ego, the way some religions believe suffering brings you closer to God.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,836,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible