A House of My Own: Stories from My Life by…

A House of My Own: Stories from My Life

by Sandra Cisneros

"From the beloved author of The House on Mango Street: a richly illustrated compilation of true stories and nonfiction pieces that, taken together, form a jigsaw autobiography: an intimate album of a literary legend's life and career. From the Chicago neighborhoods where she grew up and set her groundbreaking The House on Mango Street to her abode in Mexico, in a region where "my ancestors lived for centuries," the places Sandra Cisneros has lived have provided inspiration for her now-classic works of fiction and poetry. But a house of her own, where she could truly take root, has eluded her. With this collection--spanning nearly three decades, and including never-before-published work--Cisneros has come home at last. Ranging from the private (her parents' loving and tempestuous marriage) to the political (a rallying cry for one woman's liberty in Sarajevo) to the literary (a tribute to Marguerite Duras), and written with her trademark sensitivity and honesty, these poignant, unforgettable pieces give us not only her most transformative memories but also a revelation of her artistic and intellectual influences. Here is an exuberant, deeply moving celebration of a life in writing lived to the fullest--an important milestone in a storied career"-- "A book of essays spanning the author's career a[nd] reflecting upon the various homes she's lived in around the world"--… (more)

The chapter on book censorship in particular really spoke to me as a librarian. A beautiful book, and now I have 5000 other things to research from indigenous Mexican culture, and feel an overwhelming need to paint something Maya blue. ( )
  jekka | Jan 24, 2020 |
Beautiful, revealing essays that Cisneros published over the course of 30 years in different venues and has now collected in one volume. She helpfully prefaces each essay with a brief narrative about what was going on in her life at the time, what motivated her to write on that topic, and how the essay strikes her now. The book includes really rich biographical material about the writing of The House on Mango Street, and beautiful, endearing photographs of Cisneros's family and various homes she's lived in over the years. For that alone, it would be a worthwhile read. But beyond that, the essays are replete with poignant insights about poverty, writing, death, and aging, all in Cisneros's inimitable lyric voice. It's a really wonderful book for anyone acquainted with Cisneros's work. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
I hoped for a bio but I got a collection of previously published short pieces, all with autobiographical elements. Not much about houses here. I’m a Cisneros fan and I must admit I was a little underwhelmed. ( )
  debnance | Dec 21, 2015 |
I enjoyed most of the selections in this collection of miscellaneous writings by the author of The House on Mango Street. Lots of reflections on writers and the writing process, growing up as an American of Mexican descent, living in various places, and living alone (and liking it). Library book. ( )
  seeword | Dec 19, 2015 |
A House of My Own: Stories From My Life by Sandra Cisneros is a collection of previously written works pulled together to create a "jigsaw autobiography." The topics range from personal stories to tributes to responses to criticism to social commentary. I read the book as individual, stand alone pieces without an expectation of cohesion or chronology. As is true of any collection, some pieces speak more to me than others.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/11/a-house-of-my-own-stories-from-my-life.... ( )
  njmom3 | Nov 14, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,285,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible