Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back So You Want to Be a Jedi? (2015)

by Adam Gidwitz

Series: Star Wars Illustrated Novels (2)

Acclaimed, New York Times bestselling author Adam Gidwitz delivers a captivating retelling of Star WarsThe Empire Strikes Back like you've never experienced before, infusing the iconic, classic tale of good versus evil with a unique perspective and narrative style that will speak directly to today's young readers while enhancing the Star Wars experience for core fans of the saga.… (more)

This was a cute little book. It was different to read it in second person, but I liked it. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Dec 19, 2019 |
Adam Gidwitz adapts Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back for a younger audience in his book, So You Want to Be a Jedi? Drawing on the traditions of myth and storytelling that George Lucas used when creating Star Wars, Gidwitz explores the idea of Luke Skywalker as a cipher meant for the audience to project themselves on to as they go through the narrative. To this end, he writes all of the scenes involving Luke Skywalker in the second-person. This works well for those intending to read the book aloud to their children. Unfortunately, Gidwitz writes all of the scenes of Han and Leia on their own or of Darth Vader in the standard third-person, so the change can be off-putting at times between chapters.
Like the other books in this series, Gidwitz uses concept sketches and paintings from Ralph McQuarrie between chapters and the tone feels similar to similar to the Star Wars Journal series of books from 1998 and 1999. He also includes "Jedi Lessons" lettered after the Greek alphabet that are meant to teach Force skills to children, but are mostly variations on learning focus, balance, and awareness of one's surroundings. One of the largest problems is Gidwitz's free hand with the dialogue, which he changes at multiple points from that found in the film. Gidwitz directly addresses the reader at points to quickly move past scenes of romance. He also inserts unnecessary elements—such as Yoda telling a variation of the story of Calybrid, Calyphony, Calyvorra, and the Caillagh—to further add to the storytelling tradition. The overall effect is a book that feels jumbled at times and does not take itself as seriously as the film on which it is based. This is the weakest of these YA re-tellings of the Original Trilogy. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Apr 9, 2018 |
Thankfully short (4 discs) because the parts addressed to the reader are annoying. Otherwise, the re-telling of the story is adequate and the narrator is excellent. The concept of lessons interspersed in the story is interesting, just not well executed. ( )
  2wonderY | Dec 12, 2015 |
ABR's original Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

After listening to the first book in this new audiobook series, Star Wars: A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy I had really high hopes for book two.

And my hopes and dreams for this audiobook were absolutely and undeniably smashed within about five minutes. I am not sure whose idea it was to change formats, one that was already set, even though it was quite high, mid-series.

Adam Gidwitz took the Empire Strikes Back, that I know and love and told it from a first person perspective. That on its own I am sure I could have gotten over. However, it was written as if a six or seven year old has no social skills, has never heard of Star Wars, and is training to be a Jedi, and needs to be convinced he is Luke Skywalker. Then there are the Jedi lesson in between each chapter. “Jedi have to breath too”, seriously?

If you are over the age of ten and love Star Wars. Do not waste your time and money with this abomination. I am not sure I have it in me to continue this series, obviously I have no idea what to expect.

Marc Thompson did what he could here. In fact I didn’t even realize it was him. He performed it as I am sure he was told and unfortunately it did not work at all. I think he was trying to sound like a seven year old or something. His performance just didn’t jive with me.

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR. ( )
1 vote audiobibliophile | Oct 22, 2015 |

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Oct 22, 2015 |

Adam Gidwitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my Ben Kenobis and all my Yodas.
Introduction:  So you want to be a Jedi?  I get that.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,043,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible