Dark of the Moon by P. C. Hodgell

Dark of the Moon (1985)

by P. C. Hodgell

3401248,244 (4)40

This is the second in the Chronicles of Kencyrath, a fantasy series which a fellow bibliophile here on LT has highly recommended.

Dark of the Moon continues the story of Jame, her friend Marc and her ounce, a kitten of a variety of large wild cat and with whom she is telepathicically linked.

She is searching for her brother Torisen,who although he is her twin, is older than she; the two having spent time in areas where time moves at different speeds. Torisen is trying to establish himself as high king and major battles are looming, not just with the more mortal elements of the land.

It seems like anything I may say might contain spoilers so I will just say that I enjoyed this much more than [God Stalk], the first of the series, which I found a bit confusing.

It all ends with a bit of a cliffhanger – no, wait there must be more! So I'll definitely go on with the series. But I think I may skip months in between. Or maybe not. ( )
  streamsong | Apr 2, 2018 |
Much easier to read and follow than [God Stalk] it was less interesting and fairly similar to the other fantasy of its time. I don't like nasty dudes being political as a form of entertainment, and though some of the landscape and characters have the potential to interest there were too much of the former and too many of the latter to get any real feel for them. And a couple times just to show how clever she is Hodgell put words in the mouths of her characters that didn't really suit them. ( )
  quondame | Mar 24, 2018 |
Very much enjoyed this second installment of the Kencyrath chronicles. Jame has left the city of Tai-Tastigon where she had found refuge and friends with Marc, her Kendar ally, and the ounce, (think big smart cat) to seek out her brother to give their father's sword and ring which she recovered. Naturally things won't go according to plan. Lots to like here -- complex world, where the dead, unless burned, are likely to transform into something in-between and where the living, if they aren't careful are also in danger of losing themselves in the darkness that surrounds. We get two protagonists this time. Jame and her brother Torisen (and brief moments in the minds of some lesser but interesting characters). Torisen balances well with Jame. He is naturally open and kind and relatively uncomplicated and it is entirely convincing that he "binds" people to be loyal to him. Some fun baddies too here, along with the scary ones. More humor as well, a sign that Hodgell is feeling more confident as she moves us deeper into the story. I've got the next two ordered and will plunge back in when they arrive. Much less confused this time. My only complaint would be that there are moments when characters drone on with explanations about why something is the way it is, exposition. Hodgell is hard pressed because the world, characters, and plot is complex and things have to be explained somehow, but. **** ( )
3 vote sibyx | Feb 7, 2018 |
In this sequel of "God Stalk," Hodgell follows her main character from that book, Jame, but the tone of the story changes drastically. "Dark of the Moon" is a much more 'epic'-feeling fantasy, as Jame returns to her mission to find her brother, whom she suspects is now High Lord of the Kencyr . So she sets forth with the 'giant' man, Marc, and her mind-bonded blind hunting cat, Jorin, and much questing and adventure ensues...
Meanwhile, her brother, Torisen, is indeed High Lord, and as such is dealing with much political maneuvering, as Kencyr society is bound by all kinds of strict traditions and rigid ideas about honor... which can get in the way of dealing with issues that come up, such as shape-changing impostors, assassins, power-hungry rivals, not to mention the rumors of a three-million-strong, half-human cannibal horde about to overrrun civilized lands...
Well-done fantasy but I have to admit that I missed the more intimate tone of the first book, as well as the intriguing setting of the city of Tai-Tastigon. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Dark of the Moon by P. C. Hodgell (1994)
  whitespiraldancer | Sep 14, 2013 |
For my Parents,
with love
(Prologue: The Story So Far)

Some thirty millennia ago, the entity known as Perimal Darkling first breeched the barrier between the outer void and the series of parallel universes called the Chain of Creation.

Jame and her friend Marc journey over the mountains to find Jame's twin brother Tori, but they must face great dangers, including planet-threatening enemies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,086,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible