Name of the Devil

by Andrew Mayne

Series: Jessica Blackwood (2)

"In this electrifying sequel to Angel Killer, magician-turned-FBI-agent Jessica Blackwood must channel her past to catch a killer consumed by a desire for revenge. When a church combusts in rural Appalachia, the bizarre trail of carnage suggests diabolical forces are at work. Charged with explaining the inexplicable, the FBI's Dr. Ailes and Agent Knoll once again turn to the ace up their sleeve: Agent Jessica Blackwood, a former prodigy from a family dynasty of illusionists. As the death toll mounts, Jessica discovers the victims share a troubling secret with far-reaching implications that stretch from the hills of West Virginia to cartel-corrupted Mexico to the hallowed halls of the Vatican. Everyone involved in what happened on that horrible night so long ago has tried to bury it except for one person, who believes that the past can be hidden, but never forgiven. Can Jessica draw on her unique understanding of the power and potential of deception to thwart a murderer determined to avenge the past?""--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Fun idea gone wrong. The author has to construct ridiculous plots that his interesting protagonist can't solve without the "help" of incredible coincidence and a super anti-hero. ( )
  KAzevedo | Nov 4, 2021 |
Another gripping read by Andrew Mayne. I hadn't read the first novel in the series, but I was able to jump in and read this one without any trouble.

Can't really say much more than the teaser without giving away too much, but Andrew Mayne knows how to write stories that you can't put down. Honestly, I've become reluctant to read more books by Andrew Mayne, because I find them *too* compelling. (Well, not all of his are that way, but these thrillers/detective stories are.) ( )
  garyrholt | Nov 5, 2020 |
Name of the Devil is the sequel to Angel Killer (that I haven't read yet). Starting with book two is not the best perhaps, but I'm used to reading out of order and this one can easily be read without you having read the first book. Although if you are anything like me will you be dying to read the first book after you finished this book. I was, but I read book three instead, and now as I'm writing this review I'm reminded that I still have one book left to read woohoo!

I found Name of the Devil to be an engrossing story about some brutal murders that seem to be the devil's work, and then more people die in more mysterious ways. Thankfully FBI has agent Jessica Blackwood ex-magician to work the case and she is soon hot on the trail of the suspect. Which would go easier if her boss was more on her side and not working against her.

This book is great. I found the storyline to my liking and I adored Jessica Blackwood and I especially liked that she comes from a family of illusionists (with secrets) and that she has a "weird" relationship with a man wanted by the FBI. Just the extra ingredients in this story to make me even more intrigued. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
An excellent continuation of this different and intriguing series. Jessica Blackwood is not your ordinary buttoned down, wing-tipped FBI agent. She is the scion of a long standing family of magicians and illusionists which give her a unique perspective on certain crimes. Not well received by her colleagues; she struggles to hide her insights in plain sight. But she is as adept at penetrating illusions as she is at creating them. ( )
  jamespurcell | Dec 18, 2017 |
This is the second Jessica Blackwood novel. The first is Angel Killer. These books can be read as stand alone novels. Although, I am just warning you now that after you read this book, if you have not read the first one you will want to pick up a copy. I like the twist that author, Andrew Mayne has given this series and the main protagonist, Jessica. From being a magician to a cop may seem like a stretch but after reading book one and now book two, I don't see it as much of a stretch. In fact, Jessica's skills as a magician really do come in handy. For example, she accepts the weird and sometimes supernatural. Yet, probably the best asset that I like about Jessica is her level head. She can assess a situation quickly and pick up things that others around her may not always notice or are two to three steps behind her. I can't wait to read the next book in this series. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 2, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,928,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible