Butterfly burning by Yvonne Vera

Butterfly burning (1998)

by Yvonne Vera

I thought it to be incredibly lyrical and enjoyable though literary and challenging. I found myself getting distracted by it's beauty and losing sight of the plot. It's not only plot driven, but Yvonne adds her personal philosophies on life, all very contemplating. I loved this book, it will take a few more reads for me to fully comprehend it. ( )
  rmostman | Apr 5, 2009 |

Yvonne Veraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scherpenisse, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Butterfly Burning brings the brilliantly poetic voice of Zimbabwean writer Yvonne Vera to American readers for the first time. Set in Makokoba, a black township, in the late l940s, the novel is an intensely bittersweet love story. When Fumbatha, a construction worker, meets the much younger Phephelaphi, he"wants her like the land beneath his feet from which birth had severed him." He in turn fills her "with hope larger than memory." But Phephelaphi is not satisfied with their "one-room" love alone. The qualities that drew Fumbatha to her, her sense of independence and freedom, end up separating them. And the closely woven fabric of township life, where everyone knows everyone else, has a mesh too tight and too intricate to allow her to escape her circumstances on her own.

Vera exploits language to peel away the skin of public and private lives. In Butterfly Burning she captures the ebullience and the bitterness of township life, as well as the strength and courage of her unforgettable heroine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:18 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,003,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible