The Storm Sister by Lucinda Riley

The Storm Sister

by Lucinda Riley

Ally D'Apliese is about to compete in one of the world's most perilous yacht races, when she hears the news of her adoptive father's sudden, mysterious death. Rushing back to meet her five sisters at their family home, she discovers that her father - an elusive billionaire affectionately known to his daughters as Pa Salt - has left each of them a tantalising clue to their true heritage. Ally has also recently embarked on a deeply passionate love affair that will change her destiny forever. But with her life now turned upside down, Ally decides to leave the open seas and follow the trail that her father left her, which leads her to the icy beauty of Norway ...There, Ally begins to discover her roots - and how her story is inextricably bound to that of a young unknown singer, Anna Landvik, who lived there over a hundred years before, and sang in the first performance of Grieg's iconic music set to Ibsen's play 'Peer Gynt'. As Ally learns more about Anna, she also begins to question who her father, Pa Salt, really was. And why is the seventh sister missing?… (more)

English (12)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
Pan Macmillan SA recently sent me an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy) of the second novel in Lucinda Riley's compelling series, The Seven Sisters. The Storm Sister, which follows the story of the confident, talented, and extremely likable Ally D'Aplièse who is finding love and searching for answers to her true heritage. The Storm Sister also goes back in time to explore Ally's links to composer, Edvard Grieg. It's an adventure, not only in the usual sense, but it's an adventure through history as well. And it's done so exquisitely. I loved it!

The thing about Lucinda Riley's stories are, you become completely immersed in the tale. There are so many things going on, but somehow all of the components blend seamlessly together, which - I might add - makes for seamless reading. By the time I finished the book, I couldn't believe how fast I read it. The Storm Sister is a mammoth-sized novel, but it never felt like that while I read. Furthermore, the way her characters have such distinctive voices ... well, one grows attached to them.

Lucinda Riley's skills as an author simply seems to become better with each new book she releases, and I honestly cannot wait for the next one in the series. If you're looking for something a little more romantic to read this festive season, try this series. I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do.

Review originally posted on:
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
Dear author: This rhetoric that you have regarding an adopted child finding their “real” parents has to stop. It’s incredibly insulting to the parents who have raised children. Helped with homework and nursed them back to health. Sometimes that person is the biological parent. Other times it is not. Don’t relegate these people to second-class parents due to lack of a shared gene pool. It’s cheap and hurtful. ( )
  knittinkitties | Aug 25, 2019 |
When six adopted sisters lose their father, he leaves with each of them a clue as to where they originally came from. Initially, Ally, the second oldest sister, decides she’s in a good place in her new relationship and doesn’t need to look into her family history - until tragedy strikes, and she decides to follow her father’s clues to Norway and her musical family’s history.

I really liked this one. The history of her family started in the 19th century, and included one generation living in Norway during the Nazi occupation during WWII. Initially I liked the family history story better than Ally’s present-day story, but I thought Ally’s story picked up as the book went on. Have to admit I really disliked one thing that happened at the start, but if it hadn’t happened that way, the rest of the story may not have worked the way it did. Also disliked something that happened in the 19th century storyline, but that was explained later on.

I like the way this series is being done, though I can see if being difficult to write. The books start off with the same event, but then go in different directions as each sister is followed in the separate books. The author has to keep the storylines and timing straight for all the sisters for when they intersect. There was an author’s note and a Q&A at the end, which looked at this a bit. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 25, 2019 |
The Storm Sister is the second book in the Seven Sisters series by Lucinda Riley and the book is amazing! All the books in the series are written in a way that does not matter if you read them in whatever order you want. However, I would say that it's a good idea to read them from the beginning, in order to follow the seven adopted sisters while each of them finds their roots. There are some things happening in their lives in the books that may be interesting to follow chronologically.

In The Storm Sister is it Ally D'Aplièse turn to find her roots. Her father's death hits her hard, and soon she faces another devastating blow when someone close to her drowns. Ally, who always loved to sail, feel that she can't return to the sea and it is now the clue that her father gave her to come into the picture. The clue takes her to Norway and to the story of Anna Landvik, a talented singer who lived one hundred years ago.

Lucinda Riley shows once again that she's a master when it comes to writing stories with two different timelines. It's very exciting that the book story is taking place a lot in Norway. It's almost like home, and I love that composer Edvard Grieg plays a big part in the book story. The Storm Sister is a novel that is hard to put away and I really loved to follow Ally and Anna's adventures. I was vexed when Anna's story ended. I want to know what happened next. Of course, we do get to know what happened next in Anna's life while reading Ally's story. However, I would have loved reading the story as it unfolds not just as snippets in Ally's story.

Fantastic book! Highly recommended!

4.5 stars

Thanks to Bazar Förlag for the review copy! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Second in ‘The Seven Sisters’ series of adoption identity mysteries by Lucinda Riley, ‘The Storm Sister’ is the story of the second oldest d’Aplièse sister, Ally. Very different from the first novel of the series which was set in hot and steamy Brazil, this book encompasses professional yacht racing, classical music and Norway.
Like Maia’s story in ‘The Seven Sisters’, Ally’s tale starts with the death of their father Pa Salt. Ally reads his letter and ponders two clues. A small ornamental frog and a book from his library ‘by a man long dead named Jens Halvorsen’ lead her to Norway. This is an ambitious timeline, skipping back 132 years to 1875 and the fascinating story of Jens Halvorsen and Anna Landvik. What follows is a lovely tale of Anna being plucked from her mountain farm to sing the soprano’s part in the premiere of Grieg’s ‘Peer Gynt’, ghost-singing for an actress with an inferior voice. This performance kickstarts Anna’s career, and she settles into a new life in Christiania [modern-day Oslo] and falls in love. Of course, true love never runs smoothly and Anna continues to long for the hills of her homeland rather than the city streets. The Norwegian settings are wonderful and I wanted to stay with Anna’s life, Riley invests so much in this section it almost feels like a book-within-a-book. But ‘The Storm Sister’ is an adoption mystery about Ally’s parentage, so despite loving the Anna storyline I started to wonder why Riley takes us so far back in time to the nineteenth century and the story of who in terms of age are Ally’s great-great-grandparents. When is she going to tell us about Ally’s parents and her adoption by Pa Salt?
Riley excels at the immersive detail of both sailing and singing. The inclusion of Grieg’s music and the story of Ibsen’s ‘Peer Gynt’ – which offers parallels of Peer with Jens – made me listen to the music. But three quarters of the way through the book, I started to lose interest. That surprised me; I haven’t felt that way with Riley’s other books. The mystery is thinly strung and additional storylines and characters added in the last quarter feel hurried and shoehorned in. I found myself worrying I’d missed something and started flicking back through the pages. It picks up again at the end of Ally’s story, finishing at a pace before the final chapter acts as a preview to the next book, the next sister’s story.
A doorstop of a book, ‘The Storm Sister’ comes in at 720 pages. Darker than the first of the series, there are love affairs and betrayals, grief, tragedy and the depths of despair and cruelty. Each novel is the standalone story of one sister, but reading them order brings the cumulative benefits of understanding the six sisters who were raised together at Atlantis. Next in the series is ‘The Shadow Sister’, the story of Star.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Apr 1, 2019 |
Voor Susan Moss, mijn soul sister
The Aegean Sea

I will always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that my father had died.
Ik wil niet varen in het veilige zicht van land,
Ik stuur de volle zee op, met de sterren als kompas.

George Eliot

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,810,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible