Heir to the Shadows by Anne Bishop

Heir to the Shadows

by Anne Bishop

Series: The Black Jewels Series (2)

In the second novel set in the "darkly fascinating world" (SF Site) of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy, ambitions unfurl as the realm's dreams of a liberator have finally been made flesh... The Blood have waited centuries for the coming of Witch, the living embodiment of magic. But Jaenelle, the young girl singled out by prophecy, is haunted by the cruel battles fought over her--for not all the Blood await her as their Savior. Some dismiss her as a myth. Some refuse to believe. And still others look forward to using her, making her a pawn to their shadowy devices. Only time and the devotion of her loyal guardians have healed Jaenelle's physical wounds. But her mind is fragile, barely able to protect her from the horrifying memories of her childhood. Nothing, however, can deflect her from her destiny--and the day of reckoning looms near. When her memories return. When her magic matures. When she is forced to accept her fate. On that day, the dark Realms will know what it means to be ruled by Witch.… (more)

I've read this previously and listened to the audio version, narrated by John Sharian. My previous notes say this was a much lighter book, with plenty of out loud moments. Which is true but it also had serious, tense, sad and tender moments. Janelle, Daemon and Lucivar are all struggling to recover from the after math of Janelle's attack. This story was just as engaging as the first time I read it.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
This is the second book in the Black Jewels series. It covers about eight hears of Jaenelle Angelline's life as she goes from a raped and traumatized twelve-year-old to a twenty year old high Queen. It also continues the story of two of the men who will be important to her: Daemon Sadi who is lost with a fragmented mind and Lucivar Yaslana who is an Eyrien Warlord Prince imprisoned in a salt mine.

Jaenelle is under the guardianship of Saetan who is the High Lord of Hell. He petitioned the Council for that right but now has to deal with a Dark Council that is being subtly manipulated by an old enemy of his who will do anything to bring him down and gain control of Jaenelle.

Meanwhile, Jaenelle is healing and learning and gathering her friends together. She is also driving Saetan crazy with her enthusiastic actions. Whatever she does though is done from a kind heart and a desire to do well by her people. She doesn't want to form her own court which is the fate of most young Queens once they embrace their jewels. She doesn't want control over other people's lives.

Jaenelle is a very, very powerful witch, black widow, and queen who controls the most powerful black jewels. She does things no other witches or magic users know how to do. However, she has trouble with the basic things that most young magic users learn to do first.

I loved watching Jaenelle grow into herself and her powers. I loved her relationship with her guardian Saetan. This is a well-crafted world filled with interesting creatures. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jan 4, 2019 |
I don't know how I could not have reviewed this sooner. I have read this book numerous times and every single time it grabs me and pulls me in. This series is incredible. The world Ms. Bishop created is magical and it is dark. This series is not for the faint of heart but I love the realism Ms. Bishop created and the way she isn't afraid to touch on dark disturbing topics. She thrives at making the reader uncomfortable and it works. Her characters are rich, vibrant, and full of life. I expect them to walk in the door and boss me around. They are also very sassy.

Ms. Bishop weaves a tale perfectly. There isn't an extraneous detail in all of this series and I will continue loving these for many years to come. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Dec 1, 2018 |
DNF at 25% on 7/9/2016 ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
Este segundo volume da trilogia foi menos empolgante que o primeiro, pelo menos para mim. Senti-o como uma ponte entre o primeiro e último volume, com algumas cenas desnecessárias e maçadoras. Há várias hipóteses para que isto tenha acontecido. Por um lado foca bastante a relação entre Saetan e Jaenelle, algo que pouco ou nada me interessou. Daemon passa para segundo plano neste livro, o que é um pouco desapontante já que ocupou grande parte da narrativa do primeiro volume. Lucivar passa a ter um lugar de destaque, quando se junta à familia SaDiablo mas, apesar de ser um personagem tão cativante (um real macho-alfa) tem apenas um papel de irmão protector.

Mas há muito para gostar neste livro: os Parentes são nos apresentados neste livro, é explicado como surgiram os Sangue, porque é que os machos se submetem às mulheres e como funciona as hierarquias das cortes. A verdadeira identidade de alguns personagens mais misteriosos é desvendada e gostei muito da ascensão de Jaenelle ao poder.

Pontos positivos: A mitologia, o mundo complexo criado por Anne Bishop. As asas negras de Lucivar.

Pontos negativos: Para mim, as várias cenas caseiras, com piadas do dia-a-dia, não funcionaram. Senti sede por aquele discurso dramático que a autora tinha apresentado inicialmente.

Fez-me reflectir sobre: As Trevas é algo bom que protege? Se sim, onde está o conceito de Céu? ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |

Anne Bishopprimary authorall editionscalculated
correiacristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Nadine Fallacaro a sister of the heart
Surrounded by guards, Lucivar Yaslana, the half-breed Eyrien Warlord Prince, walked into the courtyard, fully expecting to hear the order for his execution.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,511,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible