Heir to the Shadows by Anne Bishop

Heir to the Shadows

by Anne Bishop

Series: The Black Jewels Series (2)

DNF at 25% on 7/9/2016 ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
Este segundo volume da trilogia foi menos empolgante que o primeiro, pelo menos para mim. Senti-o como uma ponte entre o primeiro e último volume, com algumas cenas desnecessárias e maçadoras. Há várias hipóteses para que isto tenha acontecido. Por um lado foca bastante a relação entre Saetan e Jaenelle, algo que pouco ou nada me interessou. Daemon passa para segundo plano neste livro, o que é um pouco desapontante já que ocupou grande parte da narrativa do primeiro volume. Lucivar passa a ter um lugar de destaque, quando se junta à familia SaDiablo mas, apesar de ser um personagem tão cativante (um real macho-alfa) tem apenas um papel de irmão protector.

Mas há muito para gostar neste livro: os Parentes são nos apresentados neste livro, é explicado como surgiram os Sangue, porque é que os machos se submetem às mulheres e como funciona as hierarquias das cortes. A verdadeira identidade de alguns personagens mais misteriosos é desvendada e gostei muito da ascensão de Jaenelle ao poder.

Pontos positivos: A mitologia, o mundo complexo criado por Anne Bishop. As asas negras de Lucivar.

Pontos negativos: Para mim, as várias cenas caseiras, com piadas do dia-a-dia, não funcionaram. Senti sede por aquele discurso dramático que a autora tinha apresentado inicialmente.

Fez-me reflectir sobre: As Trevas é algo bom que protege? Se sim, onde está o conceito de Céu? ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
Jaenelle is healed in body, but her spirit is still damaged. Lucivar is still imprisoned in the salt mines and Daemon walks in the Twisted Kingdom. The second book in the Black Jewels series is just as good as the first and a great continuation of the story.
I read this when it first came out and I've reread it many times. Each time I find more to ponder: the role of women and men in a society, the responsibility of our leaders to the land, and the raising of teenagers are all interwoven into the story. This one isn't quite as dark as the first book but has its moments.
The world of the Black Jewels is complex. I find it amazing that Ms. Bishop tracks it all so well. I'm also reminded in this reread of characters that are echoed in her latest series of The Others (just as good a series). ( )
1 vote N.W.Moors | Dec 19, 2017 |
I was slightly disappointed that Daemon didn't play much of a role in this second book but Lucivar made up for that a little. The premise of men serving women instead of the traditional reverse that you see in many historic settings, regardless if they are fantasy or not, is interesting. It's an extreme, and I was never fully satisfied with the reasoning behind how such came to be, but it does set up the tale nicely because it means the central "good" characters will do something dissimilar, and thus more "fair", and thus appealing to the reader. I was also not really satisfied with the motives behind our "villains". They seemed too unexplained, too superficial. But again, despite all these misgiving, I found I couldn't put the book down. For long books, they were fairly quick reads because of this. That more than anything, gives it it's rating. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Oct 24, 2017 |
The Blood have waited centuries for the coming of Witch. The living myth. Dreams made flesh. She who will rule the Darkness. But not all are happy for the arrival of their savior. Some refuse to believe. Others consider her only a myth. And some few look forward to using her, a puppet in their games of control and politics. With time and the love of her family Jeanelle's physical wounds have healed. Her mind is still fragile, threatened by the memories of how her childhood was violently ripped away. And yet destiny calls. The day of reckoning draws near, the day Jeanelle must accept her fate or be driven into the Twisted Kingdom.

Heir to the Shadows is the second in Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy. The story picks up two years after book one ends. Jeanelle has barely survived the violence that threatened to take her life and her power. Her physical wounds have healed. Her frightening memories are mostly kept at bay by amnesia. Her loved ones are afraid to fill in the gaps because they don't know whether she will be able to accept what happened or if it will drive her mad. A semblance of normal life returns.

This book becomes more of your typical fantasy fare. While there are still some action sequences, gone is the over the top violence and sexual situations. It also feels a bit more like a middle book that is bridging the gap between the first and final acts. The story slows down significantly and it's pacing plods along in the beginning half as Jeanelle recovers. Things pick up midway through as we learn more of the world and it sets up most of the players for what is yet to come.

The first story was set primarily in Terrielle, the Realm of Light. This time the story is mostly set in Kaeleer, the Realm of Shadow. This realm is more Other and more magical than we've seen before. Dorothea's taint and perversion of what it means to be Blood is just stating to spread. It gives us insight into how Terrielle could have been had Dorothea not existed. It's here that we're introduced to the Kindred, animals that are also Blood. They come in all shapes and sizes from centaurs and satyrs to dragons, unicorns and wolves. They are the same and different from human Blood. They have Jewel ranks yet manage to avoid many of the failings that comes with great power for humanity. Unfortunately their form of innocence leaves them open to other influences they're unprepared for. Bishop does a great job of giving each animal its own personality and insight into how other species could think and act if they had magic.

The villains begin to move more openly. Dorothea and Hekatah continue to scheme, both together and against each other, each trying acheive her own ends. It is a common fantasy theme of evil starting to turn against and consuming itself that works well in this setting.

This is the book where Lucifer comes into his own. We finally learn what it means to be an Eyrien warrior.

Events wrap up neatly this time around leaving all characters in place for the finale to come. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Apr 27, 2016 |

Anne Bishopprimary authorall editionscalculated
correiacristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Nadine Fallacaro a sister of the heart
Surrounded by guards, Lucivar Yaslana, the half-breed Eyrien Warlord Prince, walked into the courtyard, fully expecting to hear the order for his execution.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451456726, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Bishop plunged into dark fantasy with her first book, Daughter of the Blood. She described a world where Blood Witches have always ruled, drawing males to their courts through seductive power. An ambitious High Priestess destroys more powerful females before maturity and has enslaved the strongest males, weakening magic and corrupting natural bonds between men and women. Sexual violence permeates Terreille. Jaenelle, born to be Queen, is vulnerable until adulthood. Though guarded by male Warlord Princes, Jaenelle is violated. Daemon, her destined Consort, rescues her but is convinced he attacked her and goes mad.

In Heir to the Shadows, Jaenelle's vampiric, adoptive father, Saetan, and her foster-family of demons shelter her. To restore her memory and emotional balance, they move to Kaeleer, where Jaenelle befriends the kindred--animals with magical and communicative powers--and gathers a circle of young Queens. She also heals Lucivar, Daemon's half-brother, who offers a brother's love and a warrior's fealty. As she recovers strength and memory, Jaenelle resolves to restore Daemon and cleanse Terreille.

Bishop subverts readers' expectations; the "darkest" powers reside in virtuous characters, demons and vampires are kindly, and Jaenelle's adolescence is more comically normal than horrific. Her vibrant characters and descriptions will keep readers hooked, anxiously awaiting what promises to be a riveting conclusion. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:48 -0400)

Jaenelle struggles to heal from the amnesia that shields her from terrifying memories of her childhood, until her memories return, her magical powers mature, and she can fulfill her destiny as heir to the magical Darkness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible