The Beatles : A Hard Day's Write; the…

The Beatles : A Hard Day's Write; the stories behind every song (1994)

by Steve Turner

451936,855 (3.88)7
Rock music journalist Steve Turner here reveals the true tales behind the Beatles' songs, drawing on in-depth interviews with the real-life subjects of the songs and the people who were at the heart of the Beatles' world.

I loved this book and if you like The Beatles, even a little bit. you will too. Even if you've only heard the melody of "Yesterday" in an elevator you know who they are. They are a part of everyone's sub-conscience.
This compilation of every album and every song on each album, done in chronological order, debunks many a myth and offers enlightening information on how each song came to be and the state of the Fab Four as well as the world when they tunes were written.
The book is begins with the red section and covers their music from their inception in 1959 through to the Revolver album, the point "when the Beatles become recording artists rather than performers." At the point their music became more experimental.
The second blue section highlights the remainder of their years together as a group, Sgt Pepper to Abbey Road.
Reading this book serves to distinguish just what a phenomenal band The Beatles were and how at a young age were pressured to produce music quickly. Download your favorite music App and listen to each song after you've read how it was written and the nuances of the music as it was developed. Your appreciation for The Beatles will surely grow. ( )
  Carmenere | May 1, 2018 |
While I consider myself a lifelong Beatles fan, I won’t try to lay claim to being a Beatles expert, and I certainly haven’t tried to read each and every book about the Beatles that has ever been published. So, when I say I enjoyed this behind-the-scenes exploration of the history behind the writing of every Beatles song, you’ve got to take that with a few grains of salt — there may have been other books, perhaps many others, which covered this ground before. In fact, the version of this book by Steve Turner reviewed here is, itself, an update of an earlier edition. But, speaking as a casual reader of Beatles-related books, I do recommend this particular book. For each song included, the author explains what the inspiration for the song was, where the songwriter(s) were at the time of the writing, and other little historical tidbits. Where there are discrepancies about the origin of a song, Turner includes all the variant tales, rather than trying to narrow it down to the correct one. The amount of background provided for each song various considerably — from one or two paragraphes of text, to several pages, about the most well-known of the Beatles hits. The text is accompanied by a plethora of rare and obscure photographs, making this a pleasurable read for Beatles fans, even if all you’re doing is browsing. Maybe there are better, more in-depth historical volumes about the Beatles’ song out there, but I found this one to be a fun and informative read!

Originally reviewed for my local library's website in November 2013: http://lincolnlibraries.org/bookguide/staff-recommendations/staff-recommendation... ( )
1 vote cannellfan | Feb 27, 2016 |
A great , insightful book on the inspiration for each song in their catalog. Loved reading about my favorite songs and in my opinion the greatest rock group in history. ( )
  silversurfer | Jan 26, 2015 |
Story how how each song was written. Where did John and Paul get inspired from, who wrote what
and how their music changed. There are of course some beautiful, unseen photos. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
I love the beatles!
The beatles is very very famous singers.
They made many great songs.
This book taught me interesting history of the beatles. ( )
  numahiko | Jan 19, 2011 |
This book is dedicated to the memory of
T-Bone Burnett and Larry Norman in memory
of many hours of Beatle-talk over the years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,778,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible