Being Dead (1999)

by Jim Crace

"An extraordinarily moving love story" (Observer) A couple lie naked in the dunes at Baritone Bay, at the spot where, almost thirty years before, they had first had sex as students. Nostalgia has sent Celice and Joseph back to their singing stretch of coast, but in the seeming calm of the afternoon they meet a brutal and unexpected fate - one which will still their bodies but not their love, and certainly not their story.… (more)

English (44)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
Deeply original and a deeply affecting novel. Jim Crace gets under the skin of life and views it from a unique angle. A poetic writer. ( )
  kazzer2u | Jul 21, 2020 |
Hmmm, if reading about rather unfortunate middle-aged British zoologists rotting naked on a beach is your idea of a good time, then this book is right up your alley. LOL. Ok, so I'm oversimplifying a bit but the characters don't evoke sympathy from me. The wife is shallow, selfish and cold and the husband is ugly, lacking self-esteem and boring. They die. No one really even cares. They have no close friends and their icy daughter is almost glad b/c now she has an indentity as "the dead couple's daughter." They are decomposing on the beach and we know this through the again, again, again, again scientific descriptions of flesh drying, maggots laying eggs, bacteria munching etc. ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
2.5 A meditation on the lives of the two murder victims with strong first chapters that meanders in later sections. ( )
  AaronJacobs | Oct 23, 2018 |
Gets 4 stars for the language and for the subject matter and characterisation. Also a great sense of place, which is strange because for a long time I thought it was America yet we find out the one place it is not is USA. So I am left with feeling I know the place well yet have no idea where on the planet it is! ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
I liked this book very much, but if you don't care to read a clinical discussion of what happens to a dead body as it decomposes, you might want to skip this one. If such descriptions don't bother you, I highly recommend this book.

Celice and Joseph, married scientists in their 50's decide to take a sentimental day trip to the beach where they met and fell in love. As the last sentence of the first chapter states, "They paid a heavy price for their nostalgia," for by page 5, they have been brutally murdered in the dunes. Their bodies lay undiscovered, Joseph's hand tenderly grasping Celice's ankle, for days. In alternating chapters we are told the story of their life and given a day-by-day description of what happens to their bodies after death.

This book is beautifully written, and the scientific descriptions of decay meld perfectly with the intellectually curious scientific characters of Joseph and Celice. Here is the poem by Sherwin Stephens, "The Biologist's Valediction to His Wife," which is set forth on the frontispiece of this book:

Don't count on Heaven, or on Hell
You're dead. That's it. Adieu. Farewell.
Eternity awaits? Oh, sure!
It's Putrefaction and Manure
And unrelenting Rot, Rot, Rot,
As you regress, from Zoo. to Bot.
I'll grieve, of course,
Departing wife,
Though Grieving's never
Lengthened Life
Or coaxed a single extra Breath
Out of a Body touched by Death ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 24, 2017 |
Yet for all the "experimental" feel that he imparts to his work, the fact is that, to say it again, Crace is working firmly within the mainstream of English fiction, and a good thing that is, for English fiction, at least. A solid yet always adventurous writer, he has done much to revitalize a tradition in danger of becoming moribund.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, John Banville (pay site) (Apr 13, 2000)

Crace, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahlers, WalterÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
          Oh, sure!
It's Putrefaction and Manure
And unrelenting Rot, Rot, Rot
As you regress, from Zoo. to Bot.
I'll Grieve, of course,
Departing wife,
Though Grieving's never
Lengthened Life
Or coaxed a single extra Breath
Out of a Body touched by Death

'The Biologist's Valediction to his Wife'
from Offcuts by Sherwin Stephens
For Pam Turton
For old times' sake, the doctors of zoology had driven out of town that Tuesday afternoon to make a final visit to the singing salt dunes at Baritone Bay.

On Baritone Bay, in mid-afternoon, Joseph and Celice, married for almost thirty years, lie murdered in the dunes. The shocking particulars of their passing make up the arc of this courageous and haunting novel. The story of life, mortality, and love, Being Dead confirms Crace's place as one of our most talented, compassionate, and itellectually provocative writers. (on book back)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible