The Master Algorithm: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will…

by Pedro Domingos

"Describes the quest to find the Master Algorithm, which will take machine learning to the next level, allowing computers to learn how to solve not just particular problems but any problem,"--Novelist.

English (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (5)
I'm am a Machine Learning researcher, and this book gives a good introduction in a human way of how can I present some concepts so the people can understand.

But after all that introduction, it's quite boring. I don't believe in some points that the author gave about The Master Algorithm. ( )
  brunoalano | Mar 22, 2020 |
I was looking for a book that explains ML and AI concepts for non-practitioners. It did a great job at that. It goes through the most used 7 types of ML algorithms/concepts and explains how they work using high-level math and analogies. It blends a bit of the history of the field so that's always nice to contextualize the information.

What made me only give it 3 stars are the detours it keeps making into predicting the future and the crazy soft stance it takes towards the tech giants like FB and GOOG. I'm not sure if Mr. Domingos is still willing to be have such a friendly opinion of them after the latest findings on how they use ML and the many privacy breaches they've had, but I hope not. In any case I'm judging the books version of events and it's lacking any criticism towards the uses of ML in manipulating public opinion.

The book is great at teaching you the high-level workings of ML. The problem I had was it kept trying to do more than that by taking a stab at predicting the future of the field influence on humanity. Even for a specialist, it's mostly speculation. ( )
  parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |
Machine Learning Made Easier (or NOT!): "The Master Algorithm" by Pedro Domingos Published September 22nd 2015.

How can one become an expert in ML? All one needs is a basic background in (multivariate) Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Probability. ML is math. If one wants to understand the techniques, one has to understand the math. No shortcut. If one wants to start looking into the field of ML, this book is for you. If not, stay well clear.

My background is in computer science and software engineering and I've been interested in ML since I can remember. In 2013 I took Andrew NG's ML class at Stanford University (for those of you who want to dive into stuff like this here are mynotes of the class; while learning the needed math can look daunting at first it is actually quite fun once you get into it), and I was never literally the same…After that I made some Python coding to get a feel for the real thing, which I’m still doing to this day.

Humans ARE machines, albeit biologically-based. Billions of highly interconnected neurons receiving sensory input, lots of internal feedback, and signals that go out to motors, etc. Emotions, feelings, consciousness, are all just “concepts” we've constructed through a mixture of self-introspection and communicating with other self-introspecting machines (humans).

Read on, if learning comes as second nature to you. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
This is a great book about machine learning for both: people who want to know more about it and people who are in this business. Domingos is a great writer with the ability to present complex ideas in easily digestible form. Here you will learn not only what you can do today with machine learning, but also the various philosophical camps, their approaches and finally the limitations of machine learning.

What is interesting about machine learning is that all algorithms in use today are statistical methods developed primarily in the 1960s and 70s. The only negative thing I have to say about this book is that I find some of his optimism a bit unfounded given the limitations of all of these techniques. ( )
  Alex1952 | Aug 28, 2016 |
[T]here’s a burgeoning, alternative model of programming and computation that sidesteps the limitations of the classic model, embracing uncertainty, variability, self-correction, and overall messiness. It’s called machine learning, and it’s impacted fields as diverse as facial recognition, movie recommendations, real-time trading, and cancer research—as well as all manner of zany experiments, like Google’s image-warping Deep Dream. Yet even within computer science, machine learning is notably opaque. In his new book The Master Algorithm, Pedro Domingos covers the growing prominence of machine learning in close but accessible detail. Domingos’ book is a nontechnical introduction to the subject, but even if it still seems daunting, it’s important to understand how machine learning works, the many forms it can take, and how it’s taking on problems that give traditional computing a great deal of trouble. Machine learning won’t bring us a utopian singularity or a dystopian Skynet, but it will inform an increasing amount of technology in the decades to come.
added by elenchus | editslate.com, David Auerbach (Sep 25, 2015)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,937,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible