Industrial Magic

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Otherworld (4)

Meet the smart, sexy--supernatural--women of the otherworld. This is not your mother's coven ... The eagerly awaited follow-up to Dime Store Magic. Paige Winterbourne, a headstrong young woman haunted by a dark legacy, is now put to the ultimate test as she fights to save innocents from the most insidious evil of all ... In the aftermath of her mother's murder, Paige broke with the elite, ultraconservative American Coven of Witches. Now her goal is to start a new Coven for a new generation. But while Paige pitches her vision to uptight thirty-something witches in business suits, a more urgent matter commands her attention. Someone is murdering the teenage offspring of the underworld's most influential Cabals--a circle of families that makes the mob look like amateurs. And none is more powerful than the Cortez Cabal, a faction Paige is intimately acquainted with. Lucas Cortez, the rebel son and unwilling heir, is none other than her boyfriend. But love isn't blind, and Paige has her eyes wide open as she is drawn into a hunt for an unnatural-born killer. Pitted against shamans, demons, and goons, it's a battle chilling enough to make a wild young woman grow up in a hurry. If she gets the chance.… (more)

English (62)  Dutch (1)  All languages (63)
This is my absolute favorite of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. Paige and Lucas are my favorite characters, and I love the interplay between them in this book. There’s also less of (teenage) Savannah, who drives me nuts. There is also lots of humor (including some fun genre-insider humor about vampires in New Orleans) and yet it includes emotional depth. Very good all-around book. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
This was a good book, but it just seemed long and took me a bit to read it. But I love this series. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
I really didn't get the title even by the end of the book but the story was good. Lucas and Paige are drawn into investigating the murders of Cabal employee's children by Lucas father. Learn more about the Cabal's and Lucas' family, as well as snippets of our friends Jeremy, Clay and Elena.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Ok I'm not sure what it is but I kinda don't like Paige. Sometimes I do definitely by the end of the book I like her more. I love Lucas and Jamie ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Industrial Magic
4 Stars

Paige and Lucas travel to Miami when children of Cabal employees are targeted for death. As the investigation progresses and the killer’s motives emerge, it becomes apparent that the real target may just be someone closer to home...

Interesting character development and a solid mystery although the pacing is a little off with the first half moving slowly as the case builds while the second is exciting and action packed as the culprit is identified and the chase is on.

Once again, the events unfold from Paige’s POV as she learns more about the Cabals in general and Lucus’s family in particular. Several new characters are introduced including Lucus’s meddling father, Benecio, and his obnoxious brothers who need a serious reality check - my favorite scene is when Clay literally pounces on Hector. Another addition is Jaime Vegas, the necromancer, who develops a cute crush on Jeremy Danvers. Speaking of the wolves’ alpha, Clay and Elena as well as Adam, Cassandra and Aaron all put in an appearance and it is fantastic seeing all of the supernaturals working together.

The mystery with its multiple layers unravels slowly and the identity of the killer is unexpected yet not surprising given the nature of the Cabals. Lucas and Paige are adorable together and their romance takes the next inevitable step.

Laural Merlington is never going to be my favorite narrator. She doesn't have that ability to really pull me into the story that some of my favorites do. The next book has a different heroine and narrator. It will be interesting to see how Kelley manages what’s coming. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Armstrong, KelleyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother-in-law, Shirley...thank you for being proud of me
"Got another CSI question for you," Gloria said as Simon walked into the communication hub with an armload of papers.
“I thought you were all-seeing.”
“All-knowing, not all-seeing!” he snapped. “I’m a God, not Santa Claus!”

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,846,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible