Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Industrial Magic

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Otherworld (4), Women of the Otherworld (4)

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
I really didn't get the title even by the end of the book but the story was good. Lucas and Paige are drawn into investigating the murders of Cabal employee's children by Lucas father. Learn more about the Cabal's and Lucas' family, as well as snippets of our friends Jeremy, Clay and Elena.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Ok I'm not sure what it is but I kinda don't like Paige. Sometimes I do definitely by the end of the book I like her more. I love Lucas and Jamie ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Industrial Magic
4 Stars

Paige and Lucas travel to Miami when children of Cabal employees are targeted for death. As the investigation progresses and the killer’s motives emerge, it becomes apparent that the real target may just be someone closer to home...

Interesting character development and a solid mystery although the pacing is a little off with the first half moving slowly as the case builds while the second is exciting and action packed as the culprit is identified and the chase is on.

Once again, the events unfold from Paige’s POV as she learns more about the Cabals in general and Lucus’s family in particular. Several new characters are introduced including Lucus’s meddling father, Benecio, and his obnoxious brothers who need a serious reality check - my favorite scene is when Clay literally pounces on Hector. Another addition is Jaime Vegas, the necromancer, who develops a cute crush on Jeremy Danvers. Speaking of the wolves’ alpha, Clay and Elena as well as Adam, Cassandra and Aaron all put in an appearance and it is fantastic seeing all of the supernaturals working together.

The mystery with its multiple layers unravels slowly and the identity of the killer is unexpected yet not surprising given the nature of the Cabals. Lucas and Paige are adorable together and their romance takes the next inevitable step.

Laural Merlington is never going to be my favorite narrator. She doesn't have that ability to really pull me into the story that some of my favorites do. The next book has a different heroine and narrator. It will be interesting to see how Kelley manages what’s coming. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
While I am usually very strict about only reading series in order, for some reason, I’ve skipped around in this one a lot. Maybe because different books are from different perspectives? Anyway, I picked this up after being away from this series for a while, so it took me a bit to figure out exactly where I was in each character’s storylines. Having already read sequels, I must say it was way too much fun meeting Jaime the necromancer for the first time. Her first impression is as ridiculous and wonderful as I wanted it.

This book is a fun mystery/thriller with supernatural aspects involved, and of course, it includes all of our favorite characters from the Otherworld series; I love that the werewolves make an appearance in this novel. (Since the series started with Elena, I have a feeling that she and Clay will always be my ultimate favorites.) But I really would recommend this book for thriller lovers, I kept referring to it as the “supernatural serial killer” novel I was reading, and it fits so perfectly. Basically, Paige and Lucas agree to help the Cabals (supernatural mafia-like groups) to help find the person who’s been killing teenagers of Cabal employees. It follows the typical thriller-style of stories where they think they have the whole thing solved, but it turns out that they were missing a couple pieces of the puzzle, which makes for an interesting, surprising read.

The serial killer stuff was great, but my favorite development for the series as a whole was getting to see Paige and Lucas’s relationship develop. They’re finally talking about the important things and finally start admitting that things are serious with each other, which creates for some fun situations and some hilarious conversations/jokes about how they’d run their own Cabal if they were really able to be in charge.

Overall, it’s a solid addition to the series, which I really do believe is a must-read for supernatural fans (the genre, not necessarily the show). I love that while we were introduced to a new character or two, for the most part, this novel just worked on developing the relationships between characters we already know. Genuinely enjoyed every minute of reading this.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Mar 20, 2017 |
Absolutetly wonderful book. Would recomend to anyone. Book pulls you into an amazing world and can keep you there for hours. Wonderful characters great story line. An absolute must read for YA lovers! ( )
  dmytrukc | Mar 13, 2017 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother-in-law, Shirley...thank you for being proud of me
"Got another CSI question for you," Gloria said as Simon walked into the communication hub with an armload of papers.
“I thought you were all-seeing.”
“All-knowing, not all-seeing!” he snapped. “I’m a God, not Santa Claus!”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587072, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet the smart, sexy — supernatural — women of the otherworld. This is not your mother’s coven...

Kelley Armstrong returns with the eagerly awaited follow-up to Dime Store Magic. Paige Winterbourne, a headstrong young woman haunted by a dark legacy, is now put to the ultimate test as she fights to save innocents from the most insidious evil of all.. . .

In the aftermath of her mother’s murder, Paige broke with the elite, ultraconservative American Coven of Witches. Now her goal is to start a new Coven for a new generation. But while Paige pitches her vision to uptight thirty-something witches in business suits, a more urgent matter commands her attention.

Someone is murdering the teenage offspring of the underworld’s most influential Cabals — a circle of families that makes the mob look like amateurs. And none is more powerful than the Cortez Cabal, a faction Paige is intimately acquainted with. Lucas Cortez, the rebel son and unwilling heir, is none other than her boyfriend. But love isn’t blind, and Paige has her eyes wide open as she is drawn into a hunt for an unnatural-born killer. Pitted against shamans, demons, and goons, it’s a battle chilling enough to make a wild young woman grow up in a hurry. If she gets the chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

Paige Winterbourne matches wits with an otherworldly killer preying on the teenage offspring of the underworld's most influential Cabals, including the Cortez Cabal, whose own rebellious scion, Lucas, is Paige's boyfriend.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,350,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible