I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen…

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!

by Karen Beaumont

Other authors: David Catrow (Illustrator)

This is a funny twist on the original song and instead of singing It Ain't Gonna Rain No More, a little boy changes it to he Ain't Gonna Paint No More. The reader instantly understands through the colorful illustrations that the boy has taken to painting himself and his house rather than his paper and he has found himself in trouble with his mother. Readers will adore the rhyming song where they can anticipate what the next body part is the he is painting before seeing it. The final page has a humorous twist that children are sure to enjoy. The illustrations are boldly placed, some taking up both pages, even if they are single page the placement of the text and the illustrations work together to draw readers attention in and hold it captive.
  Keinhorn | Mar 12, 2016 |
Banned from painting our protagonist says he "ain't gonna paint no more!" just you know some red on his head and black on his back.
  Stephanie_Addison | Dec 4, 2015 |
This book was pure bliss, very cute and can be read to the tune of the song it's written after. Very colorful. ( )
  KassRuiz | Dec 3, 2015 |
Funny story for younger students about a mischievous painter who wants to paint everything. Students can start to predict words that are upcoming because they rhyme with the previous page. Students can also memorize this story to sing along with body movements.
  KyleeO | Nov 30, 2015 |
I truly enjoyed this book because of the illustrations, the language, and the point of view.
The illustrations for this book are absolutely amazing. The bright colors throughout this book keep the readers interest. It was amazing to see how the illustrator was able to blend all the bright colors together. It was also interesting to see how the author used different patterns on different body parts to indicate with body part the words were referring to.
I also enjoyed the language of this book. It is not common for a young children’s books to use such language as “I aint gonna paint no more”, seeing how it is not academic English. I found it surprisingly refreshing. Despite using the same phrase “I aint gonna paint no more”, it did not become irritating because of how the language was used throughout the book. The author also used rhyming to allow the children a chance to guess what the main character was going to paint next. An example of this is: “Guess there ain’t no harm if I paint my… arm”. A child had the chance to guess that the child was going to paint their arm.
Finally, I liked the point of view of this story. I enjoyed that it was from the child’s point of view, first person. It allowed the book to flow a bit better and it also shows young readers that they can be just as good of an artist as the main character, we are not told his name. It was also interesting to see how he, the main character, continued to talk himself into continuing to paint till his mother again had to yell at him.
The message of this book is that sometimes we have to not do things that we really want to. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |

Karen Beaumontprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Catrow, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
One day my mama caught me paintin' pictures on the floor and the ceiling and the walls and the curtains and the door, and I heard my mama holler like I never did before..."Ya ain't a-gonna paint no more!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152024883, Hardcover)

A dab of blue here, a splash of red there, a goopy smear of green . . . everywhere. To the tune of "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More," one creative kid floods his world with color, painting first the walls, then the ceiling, then HIMSELF! Before this feisty artist is through, he'll have painted his head, back, hands, legs, feet, and . . . Oh no--here comes Mama!

Karen Beaumont's zippy text and David Catrow's zany illustrations turn an infamous childhood activity into raucous storytime fun, giving a silly twist to the fine art of self-expression.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:42 -0400)

In the rhythm of a familiar folk song, a child cannot resist adding one more dab of paint in surprising places.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 716 books! | Top bar: Always visible