I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen…

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!

by Karen Beaumont

Other authors: David Catrow (Illustrator)

I truly enjoyed this book because of the illustrations, the language, and the point of view.
The illustrations for this book are absolutely amazing. The bright colors throughout this book keep the readers interest. It was amazing to see how the illustrator was able to blend all the bright colors together. It was also interesting to see how the author used different patterns on different body parts to indicate with body part the words were referring to.
I also enjoyed the language of this book. It is not common for a young children’s books to use such language as “I aint gonna paint no more”, seeing how it is not academic English. I found it surprisingly refreshing. Despite using the same phrase “I aint gonna paint no more”, it did not become irritating because of how the language was used throughout the book. The author also used rhyming to allow the children a chance to guess what the main character was going to paint next. An example of this is: “Guess there ain’t no harm if I paint my… arm”. A child had the chance to guess that the child was going to paint their arm.
Finally, I liked the point of view of this story. I enjoyed that it was from the child’s point of view, first person. It allowed the book to flow a bit better and it also shows young readers that they can be just as good of an artist as the main character, we are not told his name. It was also interesting to see how he, the main character, continued to talk himself into continuing to paint till his mother again had to yell at him.
The message of this book is that sometimes we have to not do things that we really want to. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
Great children's book about a little girl and her art. ( )
  leeneja | Nov 10, 2015 |
32 months - Ok I can't help cringing when I read "I ain't gonna" because I really don't want to hear my child speaking that way but I have to say what a fun book. I like the rhyming and it would be a fun book for learning body parts for much younger kids. Just pure silly fun. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
In this book, a little boy paints the floor so his mother prohibits him from painting "no more". Then he proceeds to get the paint down from where she hid it and paint his entire body - one section at a time - until he runs out of paint. To this, he comments, "I ain't gonna paint no more!"

Characters: a little boy & his mom
Setting: boy's home
Theme: creativity

Possible post-reading discussions may include:
self-control; boundaries; creativity; ways to have fun without making a mess; and listening to parents' instructions.
  kimberlyfox | Oct 1, 2015 |
Apparently, the text of the book is set to the rhythm of a song called "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More". So, I feel to set the correct tone, audiences should listen to song before hand. The pace is created as such, but even without knowing the song, the text is placed in a way that it creates a quick, and rapid voice. The book is about a boy who loves to paint, but this obsession has led to less than favorable responses from his mother, who deems he "ain't gonna paint no more!" But, putting his supplies in the top shelf of the closet does not keep him away, and he finds them again. Painting a portion of his body in tune with the song, each part rhyming with the next. The book is beautifully illustrated. Colorful. Powerful. Speaks to the individual who holds a passion greatly. ( )
  candyceutter | Sep 8, 2015 |

Karen Beaumontprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Catrow, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
One day my mama caught me paintin' pictures on the floor and the ceiling and the walls and the curtains and the door, and I heard my mama holler like I never did before..."Ya ain't a-gonna paint no more!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152024883, Hardcover)

A dab of blue here, a splash of red there, a goopy smear of green . . . everywhere. To the tune of "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More," one creative kid floods his world with color, painting first the walls, then the ceiling, then HIMSELF! Before this feisty artist is through, he'll have painted his head, back, hands, legs, feet, and . . . Oh no--here comes Mama!

Karen Beaumont's zippy text and David Catrow's zany illustrations turn an infamous childhood activity into raucous storytime fun, giving a silly twist to the fine art of self-expression.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:42 -0400)

In the rhythm of a familiar folk song, a child cannot resist adding one more dab of paint in surprising places.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,919,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible