I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen…

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!

by Karen Beaumont

Other authors: David Catrow (Illustrator)

753None12,303 (4.45)7
art (75) body (9) body parts (35) CD (8) children (9) children's (13) children's literature (5) color (12) colors (41) creativity (8) fiction (25) fun (6) funny (10) humor (37) illustrations (6) mischief (9) music (7) paint (39) painting (51) picture book (99) poetry (9) preschool (12) read (6) read aloud (6) rhyme (29) rhyming (36) song (29) songs (10) stories in rhyme (17) storytime (12)

I think that this is a very catchy and interesting book for young kids. It deals with an issue that many kids get in trouble for at some point in their young lives – drawing on things on which they are not supposed to draw. The illustrations are drawn originally in black and white and are then colored in with what looks like water colors to represent the paint that the little boy is using in the story. There is a pop of color on each page, immediately drawing the reader’s eyes to the page. The illustrations also go along perfectly with the story, highlighting each body part as the little boy paints it. This teaches young kids body parts, allowing them to connect the word arm, for instance, with an actual picture of an arm. The language in this book is also very repetitive and uses rhyming words to draw in the reader. For example, each page includes a creative way to say how he is painting a different body part. On one page, the author writes, “Still ain’t complete till I paint my… FEET!” One thing that I am unsure of with this book is the use of slang language. I like the rhythm and feel that it gives to the book, and it undoubtedly makes the book more interesting. However, I would not want children reading this book to then think that it is acceptable to use words such as “ain’t” or “ya’ll” in every day, formal conversation. Overall, I liked this book, and I believe that the central message is to teach kids the different parts of their bodies. ( )
  kfield9 | Mar 30, 2014 |
This book is fantastic! It gets the reader engaged. It tells children about the body parts, and what the boy is painting throughout the book. The pages are so colorful and the text is really fun to read. I think that this book is a book that all children would love. The way that it draws the readers eye across the page is fantastic and I think that it gets the reader wanting to continue to read the book. ( )
  heyleigh | Mar 11, 2014 |
So colorful!! Loved the illustrations by David Catrow.

Fun rhyming story that allowed for my little one to fill in the blanks as we read aloud for the first time. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Awesome book to have. I have read this book once a week with my class. I have seen them pulling this book out the most and reading alone or with someone else. Great way to get the kids into rhyming.
  dsbge | Nov 17, 2013 |
Extremely creative, colorful, and funny. Love how the illustrator incorporates doodles into the book. Promotes early childhood development through rhyme and music. Reinforces colors and body part vocabulary. Great book to inspire kids to express their creativity. ( )
  ageoflibrarius | Jun 27, 2013 |

Karen Beaumontprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Catrow, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
One day my mama caught me paintin' pictures on the floor and the ceiling and the walls and the curtains and the door, and I heard my mama holler like I never did before..."Ya ain't a-gonna paint no more!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152024883, Hardcover)

A dab of blue here, a splash of red there, a goopy smear of green . . . everywhere. To the tune of "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More," one creative kid floods his world with color, painting first the walls, then the ceiling, then HIMSELF! Before this feisty artist is through, he'll have painted his head, back, hands, legs, feet, and . . . Oh no--here comes Mama!

Karen Beaumont's zippy text and David Catrow's zany illustrations turn an infamous childhood activity into raucous storytime fun, giving a silly twist to the fine art of self-expression.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:11 -0400)

In the rhythm of a familiar folk song, a child cannot resist adding one more dab of paint in surprising places.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible