I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen…

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!

by Karen Beaumont

Other authors: David Catrow (Illustrator)

Recently added bythodges1, dcadieux5, private library, amyjohnson, baputz, PegD, BSEL, MrKevin, lightningsky

Appropriate for k-2.
  jthodesen01 | Feb 28, 2017 |
I really liked the book, I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More. I liked the language and the writing in the book. The book had a clear pattern with the phrase, “Now I ain’t gonna paint no more.” It created humor for the book because the narrator repeats this phrase many times, yet they continue to paint throughout the book. The writing and the flow of the book was also very entertaining because it flowed the way a song would. The repetition of the phrase, “I ain’t gonna paint no more,” along with the way the author rhymes colors with body parts adds to this song-like flow. Another part of this book I really enjoyed was the illustrations. The book started off very plain, and in black and white. Once the narrator added more and more paint, the illustrations got more colorful and outrageous. This built up a huge color explosion at the end of the book.

This book was very fun and whimsical. I don’t think the big idea of this book necessarily has anything to do with the story, but might be more of what type of lessons could be taught with it. The song rhymes, and the character paints different body parts from the head down. This could be used to help students make inferences, and understand what comes next. ( )
  rthoms2 | Feb 27, 2017 |
I would recommend this book as a read aloud for a kindergarten or first grade class because it is a book that would capture their attention and they would be excited to shout out the answer. I would use this book as an introduction to rhyming words because on every page there is a new rhyming word. When we get to the pages where the students begin to guess where the boy painted, I would ask them how they were able to figure it out. Then I will start a whole lesson about how we can find rhyming words and create our own examples. For first graders, I would expect them to be able to create their own rhyming words and construct them within a sentence, but with kindergarten, I would have them tell me if these words rhyme or not. This book is a fun and interactive way to introduce rhyming, but could also be used to teach the younger kids about the different types of colors. They could learn about the primary and secondary colors and try their hand at mixing the primary colors to create secondary colors. I really think this is a book that can really engage students and teach them different subjects. ( )
  Jbrochu | Feb 22, 2017 |
This book would be a good book to use for lower grade levels in an elementary school such as first and second grade. You can discuss poetry found in the book, and have your students create their own poetry. You can do an art lesson with them, discussing primary and secondary colors and have them paint picture cut outs of people different colors to represent expression and diversity amongst individuals.
  apecaro01 | Feb 21, 2017 |
Summary: A mother catches her child painting pictures on the floor, ceiling, walls, curtains, and the door and told him, “Ya ain’t a-gonna paint no more!” And puts away his paint. The boy is seen getting the paint from where his mother hid it and begins painting his head, neck, chest, arm, hand, back, leg, feet, and his whole room! Although covered with paint the boy he continues to paint until his mother catches him and throws him in a bath!'

Personal Response: A fun and colorful book that shows a child’s creativity and eagerness to paint everything and anything. Each page captures the reader’s eyes and makes the reader anticipating what is to come next, and what he is to paint next!

Curriculum Connection: This book can be used in Pre-K-2nd-grade art class to show creativity, imagination and just having fun when creating art. It can also be used to teach body parts as the character in the book paints various body parts. ( )
  ftakahashi | Feb 21, 2017 |

Karen Beaumontprimary authorall editionscalculated
Catrow, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
One day my mama caught me paintin' pictures on the floor and the ceiling and the walls and the curtains and the door, and I heard my mama holler like I never did before..."Ya ain't a-gonna paint no more!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152024883, Hardcover)

A dab of blue here, a splash of red there, a goopy smear of green . . . everywhere. To the tune of "It Ain't Gonna Rain No More," one creative kid floods his world with color, painting first the walls, then the ceiling, then HIMSELF! Before this feisty artist is through, he'll have painted his head, back, hands, legs, feet, and . . . Oh no--here comes Mama!

Karen Beaumont's zippy text and David Catrow's zany illustrations turn an infamous childhood activity into raucous storytime fun, giving a silly twist to the fine art of self-expression.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:42 -0400)

In the rhythm of a familiar folk song, a child cannot resist adding one more dab of paint in surprising places.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,169,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible