Babylon's Ashes

by James S. A. Corey

Series: The Expanse (6)

1,4085610,188 (4)43
A revolution brewing for generations has begun in fire. It will end in blood. The Free Navy - a violent group of Belters in black-market military ships - has crippled the Earth and begun a campaign of piracy and violence among the outer planets. The colony ships heading for the thousand new worlds on the far side of the alien ring gates are easy prey, and no single navy remains strong enough to protect them. James Holden and his crew know the strengths and weaknesses of this new force better than anyone. Outnumbered and outgunned, the embattled remnants of the old political powers call on the Rocinante for a desperate mission to reach Medina Station at the heart of the gate network. But the new alliances are as flawed as the old, and the struggle for power has only just begun. As the chaos grows, an alien mystery deepens. Pirate fleets, mutiny and betrayal may be the least of the Rocinante's problems. And in the uncanny spaces past the ring gates, the choices of a few damaged and desperate people may determine the fate of more than just humanity.… (more)

English (53)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (56)
The series keeps me hooked since it is well written, the main characters are engaging, and from my limited knowledge the science is realistic.

I just let the story wash over me as I read it; with this one, if I think about the politics of what has happened and how various groups are reacting, it doesn’t seem to hold up as well. ( )
  jimgosailing | Nov 18, 2021 |
Epic hard sci-fi adventure ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
This is the completion of the arch started in Nemesis Games. Significant characters die, the economic consequences of the Belter war are examined. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Oct 24, 2021 |
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. However, I get really bored with political discussions and war stories. I'm fine if a book includes both items as a part of a larger storyline (like, for instance, the discovery of an ancient alien virus that poses a threat to the entire solar system). But this book was primarily politics and war and almost zero alien (or at least INTERESTING) stuff.
While it was nice seeing Bobbie and Clarisa integrated into the crew, I found Marco and Filip totally unbearable to read. Not (just) that they were contemptible characters - they were just profoundly BORING AS HELL, and I really wish that Filip had not jumped ship. I hate the thought that he'll inevitably be redeemed in future books; the precedence has already been set with Amos, Clarisa and Naomi.
I actually think that this would've been a good ending to the whole series. But I guess we'll have to go see just how bad Duarte is. And redeem Filip. And find out where the ships that go missing end up, which will lead to Marco's return. And he'll be really REALLY mad. sigh. maybe I should just stop while I'm ahead. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Another great book. Best, most epic science fiction series ever written - it's not even close at this point. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guarnieri, AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Matt, Hallie, and Kenn, who get none of the credit and make everything possible
The rocks had fallen three months ago, and Namono could see some blue in the sky again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,404,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible