M Is For Malice by Sue Grafton

M Is For Malice (1996)

by Sue Grafton, Sue Grafton

English (37)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (39)
Another good entry in this series with a really good ending! ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Current favorite of the series so far. For one thing, it didn't seem as if the emotional side and mystery side of the novel were competing or lacking. They both felt well fleshed out and balanced which made for a very satisfying book. I have to admit, I was wrong about the whodunit denouement and quite happy about it. ( )
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |
  motavant | Jan 17, 2016 |
A somber Kinsey Millhone PI, reflecting on her own personal and family relationships, gets involved in finding a long lost troublemaker of a brother whose sblings are looking for him. The siblings don't like him much but their father died and they need to discuss the inheritance, even though they thought their father cut the troublemaker brother out of the will. Kinsey does find the brother but he is soon murdered after reuniting with the siblings. Kinsey is hired to investigate.

Kinsey was not as feisty as usual and there was quite a bit of time spent on her on-agin/off-again relationship with boyfriend Robert Dietz. The story was a bit slow but it did have a twist at the end. ( )
  gaylebutz | Nov 29, 2015 |
This one is more of a sleeper mystery, with a fair bit of attention being given to Kinsey's romantic interests and her newly found family relations. The first half of the book was very slow - great for listening to while engaged in other tasks - but it does pick up the pace and I have to admit that I thought I had identified the culprit, only to be found wrong as the story reached its "tell" plateau. As the saying goes, "The devil is in the details". As always, I continue to enjoy my "retro" journeys with Kinsey, being reminded of bygone days where answering machines where separate devices usually located beside the phone and not some password protected access system one dials in or connects to. Kinsey's love for peanut butter and pickle sandwiches continues to bring a smile to my face: I haven't had one of those sandwiches in decades and yet still remember, like it was yesterday, eating the very same sandwich as a teenagers, although my preference was for dill pickles. ;-)

Another good installment in the Kinsey Millhone series and the perfect accompaniment to listen to while engaging in my Christmas crafting activities. ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 15, 2015 |

For my good friends...
Barbara Brightman Jones and Joe Jones
and
Joanna Barnes and Jack Warner
Robert Dietz came back into my life on Wednesday, January 8.

Every investigation has a nature of its own, but there are certain shared characteristics," explains private eye Kinsey Millhone in her 13th alphabetic outing. "Here's what you hope for: a chance remark from the former neighbor on a skip-trace, a penciled notation on the corner of a document, an ex-spouse with a grudge, the number on an account, an item overlooked at the scene of a crime. Here's what you expect: the dead ends, bureaucratic bullheadedness, the cul-de-sacs, trails that go nowhere or simply fade into thin air, denials, prevarications, the blank-eyed stares from all the hostile witnesses. Here's what you know: that you've done it before and you have the toughness and determination to pull it off again. Here's what you want: justice. Here's what you'll settle for: something equivalent, the quid pro quo." All of the above are on display in Grafton's latest entry in her increasingly popular series set in a thinly-disguised Santa Barbara, as the virtually ageless Kinsey finds and loses a missing heir and gets back an old lover.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449223604, Mass Market Paperback)

Kinsey Millhone, the normally bubbly California private investigator, is depressed in Sue Grafton's new alphabet mystery; so depressed she goes back with old flame Robert Dietz for a while. Bad move. Meanwhile she gets wrapped up in a family affair, locating the missing heir to a fortune and then protecting him from his ill-intentioned brothers. Typically, our woman Kinsey has little patience with the boys, but a firm grasp of family dysfunction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

Private investigator Kinsey Millhone is hired to track down Guy Malek, a man who walked away from his family eighteen years earlier and now stands to inherit part of his deceased father's forty-million dollar estate, but unfortunately, not everyone is eager to welcome home the prodigal son.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible